Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Special Interest Forums > The Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels & Brakes Forum
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Refinishing F-Sport AWD wheels

Old 11-25-13, 01:48 PM   #1
MJLSr
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

mjlsr
Question Refinishing F-Sport AWD wheels

I have 18" F-Sport AWD wheels with 225/40ZR18 Michelin Pilot Super Sports. The setup is great, but I had my stock 17" [winter] wheels powder coated and matched to the car's color (SGM) and I would like to do the same with these if possible.

I have read a lot of stories about various refinishing techniques potentially damaging, weakening wheels. I can tell you from experience that I have never had an issue with the ones I have had done, but that does not mean that these wheels would be good candidates for that process... I really like the powder-coated/paint-mathced/clearcoat I have on my stock wheels.

Has anyone attempted to refinish these wheels? Any advice one way or the other with these?

Thanks in advance!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
MJLSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-13, 07:20 AM   #2
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator
Trader Score: (2)

I've refinished my own wheels and it is relatively easy, though quite time consuming... The best way to get paint off without damaging the wheel is to buy a product called aircraft stripper... This stuff eats right through paint... Sandblasting works well, but can potentially remove tiny amounts of aluminum with the paint... When done stripping, use a heavy duty polisher on a drill to clean up any imperfections, wipe with acetone, and powdercoat... I did mine in my garage with an old oven that was given to me...
- Lots more certs, too many to list here!

2001 Lexus IS300 - 650whp/610wtq (Virtual Dyno)PTE 6765/Custom AEM EMS - Auburn Sky Pearl (1 of 1348)
1999 Isuzu VehiCross 285/75-16 Destination MT's - Astral Silver Metallic (1 of 1021)
mitsuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-13, 07:20 AM