Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Special Interest Forums > The Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels & Brakes Forum
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

New tires & alignment ?

Old 11-17-13, 08:03 AM   #1
jbm622
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default New tires & alignment ?

Sorry if this is a stupid ? all this talk is foreign to me but I just need to understand what this paper means. The tire place gave me this, tried to explain it to me but for the life of me...I don't understand.
I just need to know if it looks right?
Thx in advance
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Attached Images

jbm622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-13, 07:52 AM   #2
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator
Trader Score: (2)

Ok, so, the basics... yes, they did a good job on the alignment... what kind of car?

Camber is how the tires lean - they are all within the factory specs, though not perfect, many cars do not have adjustment for this front or rear, but it isn't bad anyways (could be made a little better if there is adjustment though). Caster - steering angle (imagine the rake of a motorcycles front wheel) - cars have this too... Not necessarily a wear issue, but could cause a car to pull if not relatively even side to side - in this case, we are good also, and most likely not adjustable anyways... Toe - here is the important one - it causes the most wear on tires... if toe was 0 all the way around, each tire would be exactly parallel with the centerline of the car... The spec doesn't call for that though, they put it right where it is supposed to be...
- Lots more certs, too many to list here!

2001 Lexus IS300 - 500whp/476wtq (Mustang Dyno)PTE 6765/Custom AEM EMS - Auburn Sky Pearl (1 of 1348)
1999 Isuzu VehiCross 285/75-16 Destination MT's - Astral Silver Metallic (1 of 1021)
mitsuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-13, 11:09 AM   #3
jbm622
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsuguy View Post
Ok, so, the basics... yes, they did a good job on the alignment... what kind of car?

Camber is how the tires lean - they are all within the factory specs, though not perfect, many cars do not have adjustment for this front or rear, but it isn't bad anyways (could be made a little better if there is adjustment though). Caster - steering angle (imagine the rake of a motorcycles front wheel) - cars have this too... Not necessarily a wear issue, but could cause a car to pull if not relatively even side to side - in this case, we are good also, and most likely not adjustable anyways... Toe - here is the important one - it causes the most wear on tires... if toe was 0 all the way around, each tire would be exactly parallel with the centerline of the car... The spec doesn't call for that though, they put it right where it is supposed to be...
Thanks for responding. I have a 2008 lexus is250 awd. My previous tires wore right down on the inside so I asked them to adjust that. I have 30 days to bring it back to tweak it. It is pulling...I think to the right a bit.
Tires I put on are Michelin pilot a/s 3 if that of any importance
Wld appreciate more feedback if I need to tweak it more.
Thx again in advance!
jbm622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-13, 03:34 AM   #4
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator
Trader Score: (2)

If it is pulling it isn't because of the alignment... Many people have had issues with those tires and inexplicable pulls... Maybe have the tires rotated and see if the pull goes away... If it does, one of the tires that was on the front during the pull is causing it...
- Lots more certs, too many to list here!

2001 Lexus IS300 - 500whp/476wtq (Mustang Dyno)PTE 6765/Custom AEM EMS - Auburn Sky Pearl (1 of 1348)
1999 Isuzu VehiCross 285/75-16 Destination MT's - Astral Silver Metallic (1 of 1021)
mitsuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-13, 03:34 AM