Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

New tires & alignment ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-13, 08:03 AM
jbm622
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default New tires & alignment ?

Sorry if this is a stupid ? all this talk is foreign to me but I just need to understand what this paper means. The tire place gave me this, tried to explain it to me but for the life of me...I don't understand.
I just need to know if it looks right?
Thx in advance
Attached Thumbnails New tires & alignment ?-image.jpg  
Old 11-18-13, 07:52 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Ok, so, the basics... yes, they did a good job on the alignment... what kind of car?

Camber is how the tires lean - they are all within the factory specs, though not perfect, many cars do not have adjustment for this front or rear, but it isn't bad anyways (could be made a little better if there is adjustment though). Caster - steering angle (imagine the rake of a motorcycles front wheel) - cars have this too... Not necessarily a wear issue, but could cause a car to pull if not relatively even side to side - in this case, we are good also, and most likely not adjustable anyways... Toe - here is the important one - it causes the most wear on tires... if toe was 0 all the way around, each tire would be exactly parallel with the centerline of the car... The spec doesn't call for that though, they put it right where it is supposed to be...
Old 11-18-13, 11:09 AM
jbm622
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Ok, so, the basics... yes, they did a good job on the alignment... what kind of car?

Camber is how the tires lean - they are all within the factory specs, though not perfect, many cars do not have adjustment for this front or rear, but it isn't bad anyways (could be made a little better if there is adjustment though). Caster - steering angle (imagine the rake of a motorcycles front wheel) - cars have this too... Not necessarily a wear issue, but could cause a car to pull if not relatively even side to side - in this case, we are good also, and most likely not adjustable anyways... Toe - here is the important one - it causes the most wear on tires... if toe was 0 all the way around, each tire would be exactly parallel with the centerline of the car... The spec doesn't call for that though, they put it right where it is supposed to be...
Thanks for responding. I have a 2008 lexus is250 awd. My previous tires wore right down on the inside so I asked them to adjust that. I have 30 days to bring it back to tweak it. It is pulling...I think to the right a bit.
Tires I put on are Michelin pilot a/s 3 if that of any importance
Wld appreciate more feedback if I need to tweak it more.
Thx again in advance!
Old 11-25-13, 03:34 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

If it is pulling it isn't because of the alignment... Many people have had issues with those tires and inexplicable pulls... Maybe have the tires rotated and see if the pull goes away... If it does, one of the tires that was on the front during the pull is causing it...