Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Special Interest Forums > The Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels & Brakes Forum
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Continental DW, DWS, Hankook V12

Old 10-14-13, 08:07 PM   #1
specie
Driver
Trader Score: (1)

Default Continental DW, DWS, Hankook V12

I'm about to pick up a set of wheels and an accompanying set of tires. My car is lowered but I don't really drive it aggressively, mostly highway miles cruising at 75mph. I live in FL, where it rains often, so I would like tires with great rain handling characteristics. Obviously, snow is of no concern but I do randomly take on long road trips.

Was thinking 245/35/19 fronts and 265/35-275/30 rears for tire sizes. Wheels are 19x9.5/10.5 +35 and the vehicle is an '06 IS350.

For tires, I've read really good reviews on continental DWS but not much on the DW model. Does anyone have experiences with either on the IS? Also considering the Hankook V12. I've had the V12 on two of my previous vehicles and the tires are pretty good, both wet and dry. No real complaints about them, except they feel a little squishy during hard cornering.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
specie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 07:40 PM   #2
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator
Trader Score: (2)

V12's are fine as are both of the Conti's... but, if you want great performance, step up to a Pilot Sport or S-04 and you'll gain quite a bit of dry and wet performance...
- Lots more certs, too many to list here!

2001 Lexus IS300 - 500whp/476wtq (Mustang Dyno)PTE 6765/Custom AEM EMS - Auburn Sky Pearl (1 of 1348)
1999 Isuzu VehiCross 285/75-16 Destination MT's - Astral Silver Metallic (1 of 1021)
mitsuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-13, 02:18 AM   #3
specie
Driver

I just need to not hydroplane during rainstorms. It's just simply a daily driver, I don't push it hard except for the occasional WOT pulls. I drive about 20k miles/yr. I think the DWS has the longest tire life out of the three......
Old 10-17-13, 02:21 AM   #4
specie
Driver

Would 245/35 front and 275/35 rears work on the IS with front/rear fenders rolled on 19x9.5/10.5 +35 wheels without any or just little rubbing? Car will be lowered about 1/2 finger fender to tire gap.
Old 10-17-13, 05:02 AM   #5
zig@tr
Platinum Sponsor
Trader Score: (0)

For a Florida car I like the Continental Extreme Contact DW of the three you have mentioned. Best grip for dry and wet and quietest ride.

Zig Ziegler | The Tire Tire Rack
7101 Vorden Parkway
South Bend, IN 46628
O: 888 428 8355 ext. 4784
zig@tirerack.com
www.tirerack.com?affiliate=DZ1
Support Club Lexus!!!
Click on The Tire Rack banner ad or reference "Zig / Club Lexus" when ordering!!!
zig@tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-13, 10:06 PM   #6
UncleSpud
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by specie View Post
I'm about to pick up a set of wheels and an accompanying set of tires. My car is lowered but I don't really drive it aggressively, mostly highway miles cruising at 75mph. I live in FL, where it rains often, so I would like tires with great rain handling characteristics. Obviously, snow is of no concern but I do randomly take on long road trips.

Was thinking 245/35/19 fronts and 265/35-275/30 rears for tire sizes. Wheels are 19x9.5/10.5 +35 and the vehicle is an '06 IS350.

For tires, I've read really good reviews on continental DWS but not much on the DW model. Does anyone have experiences with either on the IS? Also considering the Hankook V12. I've had the V12 on two of my previous vehicles and the tires are pretty good, both wet and dry. No real complaints about them, except they feel a little squishy during hard cornering.
I've used the Conti DW on another car (Honda). Excellent tire for the money, very good in the wet, way too good for a nose-heavy V6 Accord. I presently am running 19" Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my Mustang GT--best tire I've used on any car, but very expensive. Excellent in the wet, too. That's the tire I'll use on my '14 IS 350 when I've burned through the Bridgestones.
UncleSpud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-13, 07:05 AM   #7
specie
Driver

Thanks for the info.
I was just reading reviews about the Pilot Super Sport and was about to add in the PSS as the fourth option. The average reviewer raves on the their performance. I think the complaints are usually about the road noise. How does the SS compare to the DW in terms of road noise and wear? I'm okay with paying a little more for tires if they're worth it. Thanks guys.
Old 10-22-13, 07:05 AM

Tags
accord, continental, dw, long, lowered, tires