Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Rims and upgraded brakes, which clear what and how do you figure this out?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-03, 09:46 AM
LexFather

Default Rims and upgraded brakes, which clear what and how do you figure this out?

How on earth can I figure out what rims will fit with upgraded brakes and calipers??? For instance, the Supra TT brakes, how can I measure what wheels would fit? Or say I then move up to AP Racing, do I use the same measuring technique. I remember someone going into brief detail about it but I cannot find the thread.
Old 01-14-03, 01:29 PM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Sick. It depends on the design of the wheel. Also, the higher the "+" on the offset, the closer to the car it sits.

I did a search on "brake clearance" here and in the suspension/handling section and found a lot of info that may help you.
Old 01-14-03, 02:30 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1S...with big name wheel co, usually they would tell you if certain wheels have HIGH disk and the right offset for BIG Break caliper fittment
Old 01-14-03, 05:53 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sick,

If the wheels have lips and high offset then they won't fit most of the time. Some people get 50+ offset wheels and add 15mm spacers but this is not a good method in my opinion. Like GS4Will said, you need to find a manufacturer of wheels that can specify high disk. These are usually three/two piece designs where they can use a flush outer rim and a wider inner rim to make the clearance.

MW

EDIT: Easiest way I know of finding wheels that fit is ORDER them with a SUPRA TT fitment. If they fit the Supra TT then you will be fine.

Last edited by pcmw; 01-14-03 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-14-03, 06:07 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Offset and spoke-to-caliper clearance is not necessarily related. Some manufacturers use very 'short' backpads to maximize lip depth, but this typically comes at the price of not allowing for big brakes.

Any wheel manufacturer worth its salt should be able to tell you which of their wheels will clear a specific brake system (or can at least calculate it based on brake & wheel drawings.

For instance, HRE works very closely with Brembo, StopTech, AP Racing (Stillen), Baer, and others to determine how specific brake/wheel combinations work. If the manufacturer of the wheel you like can't or won't do this for you, they are not serious about performance...