Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus versus Continental Pure Contact with Eco Plus

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-13, 06:46 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus versus Continental Pure Contact with Eco Plus

Has anyone had the chance to compare these two grand touring tires? I was all set to get the Serenity Plus, but the Pure Contacts received higher ratings on TireRack. Also, it seems that as of late a lot of people are complaining that the Serenity Plus makes a high pitch noise at certain speeds.

I have a 2006 GS430 (245/40/18) and quiet and comfort are the most important things to me. I live in Chicago, so I'd also like to be able to deal with the occasional snow storm without having to switch over to winter tires. I am currently running Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

e
Old 08-21-13, 06:54 PM
rjacket
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have exactly the same question as you. Turanza Serenity Plus were my #1 choice until the Customer Surveys came in on the PureContacts.

The Tire Rack tests show the wet performance of the PureContacts to be superior to the Turanzas but the ride and Noise to be better in the Turanza. So that's apparently the trade off. For me in CA, I was leaning towards the Turanzas.

However, the Customer Surveys that have come in are showing that the PureContacts are superior on Noise, Treadwear, Wet Performance, Snow Performance while equal on everything else. The score for customers who would buy again is also higher for the PureContacts.

If you have to buy now, I would go for the PureContacts since you have a requirements for snow performance.

There is also a $100 off offer at Discount Tire on Aug 30th and 31st for any 4 tires.

If you can wait, like I can, then I would recommend waiting to see how the customer reviews pan out, especially from drivers with a vehicle like yours.
Old 08-22-13, 08:42 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Thanks for the response. I didn't see the TireRack test. I'll have to take a look at that. So far, I was relying solely on the consumer surveys,

My current tires are pretty much shot. I bought the car about 16 months ago with 51,000 miles and it now has 73,000, so I've put 22,000 on the tires and they were about 50% when I got the car, so I'm guessing the tires have somewhere in the 40k-50k range on them now.

I need to buy the tires by the end of September, so I have a bit of time. One thing I'm noticing with the consumer reviews is that the follow-up reports are much more helpful than the initial impressions where the buyer is still in the honeymoon period.

I'm going to continue to watch the surveys as they come in, but I would love to know if there is anyone out there who has had one or the other (or better yet, both), and can provide some real-world observations.

e
Old 09-23-13, 07:49 AM
e-man
Pole Position

I finally pulled the trigger and bought the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus. I'll be picking up my car later today or tomorrow and will post my initial observations. My Pilot Sport A/S Plus were down to 1/32 in the middle and 3/32 on the shoulders, so it was well past the time they needed to be replaced.

e