Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

chrome wheel balance issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-13, 02:33 AM
qewani1
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chrome wheel balance issue

i used to have vibration on my ls400 at speed of 80-85 MPH , i did road force wheel balance and vibration gone and car started to run silky smooth,*
but the problem is that wheel weights fall down after 2 days of driving and vibration started again!!, so i went back to shop to do a wheel balance again and told the guy to use adhesive weights this time instead of normal ones, but again the adhesive weights also did not last for more than one week of driving and they now started to fall down also.*

my wheels are chrome wheels, so how u guys manage this with ur cars?
Old 07-28-13, 08:21 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Go to another tire shop. The tech seems clueless if the weighs move or fall off. On occasion I've lost weights but that's like 15K+ miles. When they do fall off, it's not the adhesive on the rim but the weight. Reminds me, I need to clean/scrape off the adhesive patches on mine...it has accumulated due to my laziness.
Old 07-28-13, 10:27 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Correct - properly installed wheel weights of the clip on type (on the edge of the rim) or stick on weights should never come off, and in the rare event that one does, it shouldn't happen again immediately after. Are you sure the weights are moving or coming off??? As tires wear, they may become out of balance - but not that quickly obviously..