Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

ADR Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-03, 01:57 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default ADR Wheels?

Can someone tell me anything about these wheels/ Knockoffs? 2 or 1 piece? Heavy? How is quality?

Thx guys.

Old 01-02-03, 02:10 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&highlight=ADR

Old 01-04-03, 05:11 PM
JRK
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ADR is cheap garbage wheels. You would be better off making your wheels out of cardboard rather than buy ANY knock-off wheel.
Old 01-04-03, 05:24 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Retro,

They are cheaper wheels, but "cardboard"? I think they may be a little better than cardboard. That may be a very exaggerated way of explaining knock off wheels.

ADR wheels are not all that bad. Their quality of the actual wheel is good. A tad bit heavy but nothing dramatic like cheap chrome ultra wheels from Pep Boys. I would get the diamond cut style and stay away from chrome as it will peel. For the price, I think those Sterlings look great. And they are definitely ONE piece.

MW
Old 01-05-03, 12:06 AM
JRK
Pole Position

I can't believe you are actually recommending knock-off wheels! Do you even understand why the wheels are so cheap? They are extremely heavy and very cheap material is used to make them. Why do you want an imitation wheel?
Old 01-05-03, 01:00 AM
LSPiNoY
Lead Lap

cuz its less expensive
Old 01-05-03, 01:24 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

JRK,

I have seen these rims first hand and feel they are good quality. Are they HRE's or Kinesis quality? .... of course not

However, they are SAFE, built well enough to last, look great, finish quality is good, hub-centric, and inexpensive. I am sure once you get a Lexus and start shopping for wheel, you will go all the way and get some 19" HREs but that doesn't in everyones price range. My feeling of "cheap" wheels is something different than ADR. Cheap wheels are the ones you see at a place like Kragen, Pep Boys, Chief Auto etc. The models that stand next to hubcaps. Or you have wheels that are built poorly and marketed by mass retail tire stores like Sendel. ADR Wheels are distributed by Golden Apple in California who stand behind them and warranty them.

They are extremely heavy and very cheap material is used to make them. Why do you want an imitation wheel?
Can you post the weight and metal composition of these wheels versus your stock BMW ones? "Imitation wheel" is a funny term because it is so difficult to detect who is original designer of such designs. Many people always think that the most expensive company that manufacturers that style MUST be the designer but in reality that may not be the truth.

Lastly,

I can't believe you are actually recommending knock-off wheels!
Yeah, I know, knock-off wheels are TABOO...hahaha HOWEVER .. I would recommend these for the most part. If cost were a restriction I think you can seriously dress your car up with these and while keeping the mod clean and tasteful.

So JRK.....you are on the spot now... When you get your Lexus, and order up some wheel, I think most of us would love to see your selection of rolling stock.

Thanks JRK,

MW
Old 01-05-03, 04:44 PM
sc400atl
Driver School Candidate

i really like the adr m2 sport wheel that comes in 18 x 8, 8.5, and 9. it is a mesh wheel. i know everyone has a concern about the lower priced wheels, but that is why we are on this board. we need for someone who has had some type of adr wheel to come forward.

i can let you know of my experience with american racingwheel. i went to butler tire in atlanta and had some amer racing mesh wheels and toyo fz4 tires put on. they were 18 x 8 and the tires were 245-40-18. well, to make a long story short......they could never balance them right. this is after they went thru the high speed balancing on the car and on the balance machine or whatever they call it. my oem lexus rims and tires never vibrated, but at 60 to 70 miles per hour these did. who knows, it may have been the tires, but i am of the opinion that if you are not sticking to the brands that people on the board have used, then you may go wrong.......but look at the ADR MSPORT WHEEL.....IT IS AWESOME LOOKING.
Old 01-05-03, 05:17 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

sc400atl,

About 4 years ago I put these on the wifes car.

Her car had an odd tendency to find curbs when she had expensive wheels. So we got her those, unfortunately it did not matter how cheap or nice they were, she STILL found the curbs that jump out at her....so she has stock wheels back on her car.

The person I sold them to, STILL has them, they look great, and when we went to the shop and dismounted the tires, they STILL spun within almost no weights inside or out. One was off a bit, but it also had a huge curb rash so that can be expected. I was very impressed with the build overall. The finish on her wheels were great too. Not even a chip after constant curb killing. Of course they have alum(non-painted) lips.

They actually did ALOT better than her Racing Hart Type-C 3 piece wheels that after just ONE pot hole were ruined. We had to have it dismounted and repaired at less than 5000 miles. The shop placed the wheel on its back on the concrete shop floor and it looked like a Pringles Potato Chip!!! We were going to see if we could mount my old Recaro seat to it for a ROCKING CHAIR.

So...with that said, I still believe they are decent wheels.

MW
Old 01-05-03, 05:41 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's like the Mont Blanc store I was at last week. I could spend $700 on their briefcase, or walk across the street to the "Bag Store" and get a Mont Blanc knock-off for $125. Is it a deal knowing you got a fake, a copy, a wanna be that every wanna be has. OR you can have the INTEGRITY to say you will buy the real thing or you will walk into Hudson's and buy a Kenneth Cole briefcase for $150 because it is the real deal and it is what you can afford.

BTW the guy at Mont Blanc sounded like the car salesman in Exit Wounds so I am still briefcase-less

Last edited by jpa2400; 01-05-03 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-05-03, 06:45 PM
JRK
Pole Position

I guess some people will never have respect for their own car so this leads to people putting cheap garbage on it. Are you going to prove me wrong?

95% of knock-off wheels are found on riced out Integras, Civics, and other cheap imports. Think about it.

Last edited by JRK; 01-05-03 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-05-03, 07:18 PM
JRK
Pole Position

A question was asked earlier about not knowing who made the wheel design first.

Knock-off wheels are duplicates of the most selling wheels. The top-selling wheels are usually Racing Hart, BLITZ, VOLK, BBS, or something along those lines. What a knock-off company does is take that wheel, take an exact mold of it, and put their name on it. However, you can not put a wheel on the market that is exactly identical to another wheel that is already on the market. So what the makers of this knock-off wheel does is that they change a VERY sublte detail about the wheel. Perhaps they might change the wheel cap shape or a something like that.

On the other hand, this is making the more well-known and genuine companies to lose money. I have heard of several stories where the original makers of a certain wheel have sued knock-off companies for copying their design.

Another point is this: How would you feel if you have the top selling wheel in the country and some company comes along and copies your wheel and puts their name on it. How would you feel if that happened? Think about it.

One more comment, the wheel that pcmw posted is an exact copy of the BLITZ type 03 wheel. Take a look if you do not believe me.

And if you are going to tell me that ADR made the wheels before BLITZ, go laugh at yourself.

One last comment, the wheel that retro posted is also a copy of a LOWENHART wheel. Kind of a coincedence isn't it?!

Don't think I am an *sshole because of my hate towards knock-off wheels. That is not what I am about.

Last edited by JRK; 01-05-03 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-05-03, 07:24 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

duh
Old 01-06-03, 12:00 AM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your car is daily driven and you drive on crappy roads sometimes, it would not be a good idea to get expensive rims... I know a guy that bought some new 18" Blitz wheels and a two weeks later, he got the ADR copy. Uses the Blitz for show only now.
Old 01-06-03, 12:29 AM
JRK
Pole Position

It is just my personal opinion. I would not feel right putting imitations wheels on my car. (especially a nice car like a BMW, Lexus, MB, etc.) I think they say "I am cheap and have no money or both."

Quick Reply: ADR Wheels?