Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Costco for tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-03, 12:42 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Costco for tires?

I've ordered tires from TireRack before and I've been considering joining Costco for a long time for other reasons. I've seen a few threads on this forum where people recommend buying tires from Costco. Are Costco's prices for tires better than TireRack? Does Costco carry 17" and 18" tires or can they order them for you? I'm imagining that they only carry the more common 14",15" and 16" tires since those are going to be much higher volume for them.
Old 01-03-03, 12:27 AM
geees300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default costco tyres

hi sam,
i was told the tyres sold @ costco are specific only for costco. i.e. the warranty for repair and replacement are only covered by costco. the plus for buying tyres from costco is their road hazard warranty, no cost for members. btw costco only sells oem size tyres and nothing else. 13's to 16's they have and maybe some 17's that's all.

geees
Old 01-03-03, 02:28 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i was shopping for some 19" tires, costco told me that they could order some if i wished to do so. their prices were decent, but i'm not sure if it's as good as tirerack.
Old 01-06-03, 03:57 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Even if you end up buying your tires elsewhere, the best prices for mounting and balancing will be at Costco- I got mine done for $9 each.

The next closest was Winston Tires, which charged $12.50 each.
Old 01-09-03, 02:13 AM
andyray
Driver School Candidate

Default Costo

My local Costco quoted me a great price on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's or Bridgestone RE730's in 17" sizes. I'm pretty sure they can order what you need. They were nice and cheap on the mounting and balancing too.

Unfortunately, I ended up going through my local shady tire shop because I wanted Toyo T1S's, and Costco doesn't carry Toyo.
Old 01-09-03, 11:46 AM
kvoman
Driver

Costco carries Michelin, BFG Goodrich, Bridgestone, and Kirkland tires (their own brand). Just about anything these manufacturers make, they can order for you. It's a matter of the tire sales person knowing or willing to do it for you!

When I got my BFG g-Force KDWS (235/45/17), the Costco at Almaden Valley (SJ) said they can't order it so I went to the one on Story Rd also in San Jose, they ordered it w/o any problems. They can get Pilot Sport A/S or S-03 if you want them also. I got mine in three days and they were installed while I shop at Costco. All the tires you buy at Costco carry the manufacturer's warranty, the plus side is you only have to pay Costco once for mounting, lifetime balancing and rotation, and it includes road hazard warranty at no additional cost. It's all included in the mounting fee of $9/tire!!!! Imagine how many times you'll need to bring your car in to have the tires rotated and balanced during the life of the tires, that's a big saving.

If you compare prices at your local stores, make sure you include everything that you'd have to pay - cost of the tires, mounting, lifetime balancing and rotation, road hazard warranty, etc.

If you're undecided about tire and treadwear is important to you - I'd recommend taking a look at the g-Force KDWS, same specs (Z-rating, 400-Treadwear, AA-Traction rating, A-Temperature rating) as the Pilot Sport A/S but at about half the cost. Only the tread does not look as aggressive as the Pilot Sport A/S.

Only caution note would be if you have custom wheels or very large wheels, you have to make sure they know it and be extra careful with the installation process.

Good luck.
Old 01-09-03, 11:52 AM
Lvangundy

As far as I know, places like that can only put on tires that match the manufacturers specs.

For example. I went to Sams club to get my last set of tires and they said they had to put V (whatever 160mph is) rated tires on. I paid like $350 for 4.

I just picked up some 16"s so I'll be needed new tires soon also.
Old 01-09-03, 12:04 PM
kvoman
Driver

True, if you have factory OEM or factory optional sizes.

However, the Costco in SJ told me they will order and install larger tires for you if you already have them on your car when you come in. For example, if you already have 18"/19"/'20" and you come in for same size replacement, they don't have a problem with it. But they won't replace the OEM with diferrent sizes, something like a 235 with a 255 or 265/etc.

They will install higher rating tires but they won't install lower rating tires. They won't go from V to H or R but will go from R/H/V to Z rating.
Old 01-09-03, 03:59 PM
jefe
Rookie

just bought a set of S03s from costco. 177 a piece (235 45 17) mounted, balanced, road hazard warranty and all that crap. tirerack was 164 a piece (+shipping mounting balancing...). they did a great job and even used a torque wrench to tighten my lugs
Old 01-12-03, 02:00 PM
jaymode
Driver

Originally posted by kvoman
True, if you have factory OEM or factory optional sizes.

However, the Costco in SJ told me they will order and install larger tires for you if you already have them on your car when you come in. For example, if you already have 18"/19"/'20" and you come in for same size replacement, they don't have a problem with it. But they won't replace the OEM with diferrent sizes, something like a 235 with a 255 or 265/etc.

They will install higher rating tires but they won't install lower rating tires. They won't go from V to H or R but will go from R/H/V to Z rating.
I dont know about costco but sams did that for me. I wanted to feel if there was any grip diff btw 205 and 215. I didnt like the 215s they took them off and they ordered me some better tires cuz i didnt like the one they had. Also i went from a z rated tire to a r.