Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus verus Continental Extreme DWS

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-13, 08:11 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus verus Continental Extreme DWS

Hey guys and tire gurus. I posted this question in the 3GS forum a few months ago.

I am about done with my Pilot Sport A/S's (I am the second owner, CPO car, but I believe the tires have about 40k miles on them). I was all set to buy the Turanza Serenity Plus based on the tirerack revews I had been reading, but lately, it seems that the reviews have been kind of luke warm. I realize that the tire is at the top of the survey chart in the grand touring all season category, but if you read the reviews lately, it seems like people's expectations are high and they are being disappointed.

I know that the DWS is in a completely different category than the Serenity Plus, but it gets such great reviews in terms of quiet and comfort, and can also handle the occasional snow storm, whereas I'm not convinced that the Serenity Plus will be good in the snow at all.

If quiet and comfort are the most important things to me, followed by handling in a bit of snow, with performance a very distant third or fourth, would I be better off with the Serenity or the DWS?

e
Old 04-18-13, 05:15 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The DWS will probably be better in the snow, but I haven't tried either in the snow.

The Serenity Plus is a much quieter, smoother riding tire and will last significantly longer as well. I've seen three sets of DWS's recently in person that were worn terribly, even with proper rotations, and one of the sets only had about 25k on them. I would read the DWS reviews closely as well...

No all season tire is great in the snow, the DWS included. It just barely gets by enough to be acceptable, and the cars technology (traction control, ABS, etc.) fills in everything else the tires can't do. The better the car, the better the tires seem...

Why not RE970AS's... they are ~almost~ as good in both respective categories - they do well in the snow, like the DWS, but quiet and smooth like the Serenity's...
Old 04-18-13, 07:36 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Thnks Mitsu. Good point on the DWS treadwear. I had read a few reviews from people who said that the tires didn't last very long.

However, as I'm reading more of the Serenity Plus reviews, I'm noticing a common theme that people are expecting them to be much more quiet/smooth than they are due to the reviews that they're reading. While it's true that what is quiet to one person might not be quiet to another person based on what tire you're currently using, I just seemed to be noticing trend that people were saying that the Serenity Plus wasn't as quiet and comfortable as they expected it would be.

As for the RE970AS, I don't know much about them, but I would expect they would be very similar to the Pilot Sport A/S Plus that I'm currently running, right? If so, I'm not that interested in giving up quiet and comfort (even if only a miminal amount) in exchange for a higher level of performance. It's just not that important to me. Does that make sense?
Old 04-22-13, 05:35 AM
Soap
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I had the Serenity Plus on an accord I used to own and I thought they were a good tire until the sidewalls began to split/crack on both front tires. I always had the correct air pressure, but it's been a few years and I don't recall how many miles I had on them. I'm sure they had at least 10,000 or so miles left on them, because I generally replace my tires sooner than later.
Old 04-26-13, 12:36 PM
zig@tr
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
Thnks Mitsu. Good point on the DWS treadwear. I had read a few reviews from people who said that the tires didn't last very long.

However, as I'm reading more of the Serenity Plus reviews, I'm noticing a common theme that people are expecting them to be much more quiet/smooth than they are due to the reviews that they're reading. While it's true that what is quiet to one person might not be quiet to another person based on what tire you're currently using, I just seemed to be noticing trend that people were saying that the Serenity Plus wasn't as quiet and comfortable as they expected it would be.

As for the RE970AS, I don't know much about them, but I would expect they would be very similar to the Pilot Sport A/S Plus that I'm currently running, right? If so, I'm not that interested in giving up quiet and comfort (even if only a miminal amount) in exchange for a higher level of performance. It's just not that important to me. Does that make sense?
If you're not interested in giving up quiet and comfort in exchange for higher performance then I would definitely say the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus is the better choice of the two. That's exactly what the ExtremeContact DWS and RE970AS Pole Position do, give up ride comfort and road noise to have better steering response and handling.

Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus

Last edited by zig@tr; 04-26-13 at 12:39 PM.