Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

DONT BUY AKATA 10mm SPACERS!

Old 03-14-12, 10:22 PM
Yellow91
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down DONT BUY AKATA 10mm SPACERS!

Well, it's actually been almost a month since my accident with Akata spacers. Things aren't being handled as quick as i thought they would. So i decided to put them on blasts on local threads soo that people are aware of the quality of these Akata spacers that Vossen wheel always hypes about. Since they're indeed a safety hazard.

Well these so called "Quality" 10mm bolt on spacers from Akata spacer actually broke on me while i was on the rode driving completing a turn on an intersection going about 25-30mph. My wheel completely sheared off crushed my fender in the process my wheel shot into a curb flew 10ft up in the air bent the the lip of the rim & blowing the bead off my tire & my car's undercarriage was scraping along to the side of the street. Luckily no one else was hurt or involved in the accident. As it could've been a fatal issue if i was on the highway & this had happened. smh.

Basically the material of the spacer that bolts up to the hub is what fell apart. The spacer nut was still on the hub studs & the spacer was still connected to my rim. IT had nothing to do with them being undertorqued overtorqued or studs failing. The material they used for these spacers is soft like a cast aluminum which is why they feel so light. & they also use what looked like a standard tapered nut that put too much stress on the material of the spacer that holds it to the hub. Which is what caused it the break over time. I've only owned them for about 2-3 weeks tops of dailying on them. Here's another person who had the same accident around the sametime i had mine http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847923

Please spread the word on these spacers I don't want anyone else having the same problem that I had. If anything go with Project kics spacers definitely much more legit QUALITY spacer as i did a side by side comparison you can definitely tell the difference!

Last edited by Yellow91; 03-14-12 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-15-12, 01:25 AM
Yellow91
Rookie

Thumbs down DONT BUY AKATA 10mm SPACERS!

Well, it's actually been almost a month since my accident with Akata spacers. Things aren't being handled as quick as i thought they would. So i decided to put them on blasts on local threads soo that people are aware of the quality of these Akata spacers that Vossen wheel always hypes about. Since they're indeed a safety hazard.

Well these so called "Quality" 10mm bolt on spacers from Akata spacer actually broke on me while i was on the rode driving completing a turn on an intersection going about 25-30mph. My wheel completely sheared off crushed my fender in the process my wheel shot into a curb flew 10ft up in the air bent the the lip of the rim & blowing the bead off my tire & my car's undercarriage was scraping along to the side of the street. Luckily no one else was hurt or involved in the accident. As it could've been a fatal issue if i was on the highway & this had happened. smh.

Basically the material of the spacer that bolts up to the hub is what fell apart. The spacer nut was still on the hub studs & the spacer was still connected to my rim. It had nothing to do with them being undertorqued overtorqued or studs failing. The material they used for these spacers is soft like a cast aluminum which is why they feel so light. & they also use what looked like a standard tapered nut that put too much stress on the material of the spacer that holds it to the hub. Which is what caused it the break over time. I've only owned them for about 2-3 weeks tops of dailying on them. Here's another person who had the same accident around the sametime i had mine http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847923

Whether or not the people who have owned Akata spacers without any issues. It still doesn't mean there's a chance that they won't break. Make sure to check them regularly if it shows signs of wear on the back of the spacer where the bolts hold them in I'd remove them asap.

Please spread the word on these spacers I don't want anyone else running into the same problem that I had. If anything go with Project Kics spacers definitely much more legit QUALITY spacer as i did a side by side comparison you can definitely tell the difference! Kics is heavy dense material like forged steel & uses proper hardware.
Old 03-15-12, 09:31 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Damn man, sorry to hear. I didnt know akata made 10mm when I was looking for some
Old 03-15-12, 10:29 AM
lexdymndz
Lead Lap

damn. that sucks. so thats what happened to you fenders.
Old 03-15-12, 10:36 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

That is scary. That's why I'm very weary when it comes to using spacers. I only use H&R and nothing else. I had Ichiba before it, and they warped on me within a couple of months. But as much as possible I won't use spacers anymore. That's why I was forced to buying knock off wheels just so I can get correct offsets until I have enough money for legit wheels. I hate spacers.
Old 03-15-12, 10:40 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
That is scary. That's why I'm very weary when it comes to using spacers. I only use H&R and nothing else. I had Ichiba before it, and they warped on me within a couple of months. But as much as possible I won't use spacers anymore. That's why I was forced to buying knock off wheels just so I can get correct offsets until I have enough money for legit wheels. I hate spacers.
No one is forcing you to buy knock offs. Just saavee
Old 03-15-12, 10:45 AM
Quik208
Lead Lap

I have never been a fan of spacers. I would get get proper offsets on your rims and then there is nothing to worry about. Glad to hear that your ok, and that no one else got hurt.
Old 03-15-12, 10:56 AM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn sorry to hear but glad you're alright and it wasn't worse. Very scary indeed and I hope you get a satisfactory ending after all this. Will avoid that brand when I shop for spacers, thanks for posting your experience.
Old 03-15-12, 11:17 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sc300jz
No one is forcing you to buy knock offs. Just saavee
LOL at your comment...

But I love knock offs.... Cause it pisses the ***** outta haters....

Last edited by OG Dada; 03-15-12 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-15-12, 04:32 PM
Yellow91
Rookie

Originally Posted by jadu
Damn man, sorry to hear. I didnt know akata made 10mm when I was looking for some
Yeah apparently these are somewhat their new bolt on spacer line up. I don't recommend them lol.

Originally Posted by lexdymndz
damn. that sucks. so thats what happened to you fenders.
If i could post a pic i would but the passenger fender was completely folded in it looked totalled. I ended up just banging out the bend temporary before i took in to the body shop.

Originally Posted by Quik208
I have never been a fan of spacers. I would get get proper offsets on your rims and then there is nothing to worry about. Glad to hear that your ok, and that no one else got hurt.
I definitely feel the same way I was never a fan of spacers either these were my 1st bolt on type spacer that I've ran & damn I will never run spacers again after experiencing what I did. Doesn't mean spacers are bad but they can be potentially dangerous if they ever failed.

Originally Posted by DonCorleone
Damn sorry to hear but glad you're alright and it wasn't worse. Very scary indeed and I hope you get a satisfactory ending after all this. Will avoid that brand when I shop for spacers, thanks for posting your experience.
Thanks man yes please avoid them I don't want any R.I.P tragedies.

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
Yes, spacers are fine you just have to be careful on the quality I know that the Project Kics are very nice quality spacers I mean you get what you pay for at least. You should anyways..
Old 03-16-12, 12:09 AM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have these spacers bro, nothing has gone wrong. lets not hope so, sucks vossen want to ignore you like that. only issue i have is their tapered nuts seem to come loose overtime and i always have re-tighten.
Old 03-16-12, 01:40 AM
Yellow91
Rookie

Originally Posted by AYEmike
i have these spacers bro, nothing has gone wrong. lets not hope so, sucks vossen want to ignore you like that. only issue i have is their tapered nuts seem to come loose overtime and i always have re-tighten.
whoa, whoa, whoa. If you own the 10mm bolt on check the back of them ASAP! if you can please forward me some pics & I'll definitely tell you if they're safe or not. If it shows signs of the tapered nut piercing through the material on the back of the spacer DO NOT run them. It's only a matter of time before they break. & those loose tapered nuts should not be getting loose once they have been checked & tightened twice/three times at most after install. It just means that the material is just getting squeezed down more & more which is putting more stress on the material = breakage.
Old 03-16-12, 01:43 AM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Yellow91
whoa, whoa, whoa. If you own the 10mm bolt on check the back of them ASAP! if you can please forward me some pics & I'll definitely tell you if they're safe or not. If it shows signs of the tapered nut piercing through the material on the back of the spacer DO NOT run them. It's only a matter of time before they break. & those loose tapered nuts should not be getting loose once they have been checked & tightened twice/three times at most after install. It just means that the material is just getting squeezed down more & more which is putting more stress on the material = breakage.
i have the 15mm one bro, ill check them out tomorrow. does **** me off that they loosen every couple weeks or something. i would go ape shiet on vossen if my spacers snap though, no lie lol.
Old 03-16-12, 06:25 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

I have never used spacers and never will. My brother, 6 years ago, was tracking on them... Sure enough he ended up in a wall because the spacer couldn't handle the stress.
I realize tracking a car takes a TON of abuse on suspension/wheel... However, imagine if he was on a roadtrip across country and that happened.
There should be more threads like this.
Old 03-16-12, 06:30 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CCJ22
I have never used spacers and never will. My brother, 6 years ago, was tracking on them... Sure enough he ended up in a wall because the spacer couldn't handle the stress.
I realize tracking a car takes a TON of abuse on suspension/wheel... However, imagine if he was on a roadtrip across country and that happened.
There should be more threads like this.
I try to warn people on here that spacers just aren't as safe as a correct sized wheel bolted directly to the hub, but people are either cheap or whatever and want to fit crazy fitments on our cars...

Get what fits correctly, the first time...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DONT BUY AKATA 10mm SPACERS!