Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Another question about tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-02, 05:42 PM
Davidtttt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Another question about tires

Hi all
I had just about made up my mind to buy a 03 SC430 (indigo and saddle) when I started reading the threads about tires. Now I am having second thoughts. I just sold my 98 Corvette, so I have some experience with finicky run-flats. A hard ride is not a problem as I have had a number of sports car and have come to expect it but having to put new tires on ever 7,000 to 10,000 miles seem a bit excessive (got 20,000+ out of the Corvette). Also, there seems to be an issue about alignment, noise and wear.

I do not want to get a car I have to watch the tires all the time again. I am getting old and want more comfort and luxury in my sports car otherwise I would get a Boxer S.

So, bottom line guys. I should be concerned about the tires?

PS the thread “Fair Deal on new SC” is vary useful to prospective buyer like me.
Old 12-23-02, 06:22 PM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts
Default No problem

Here's what I think, as one who has owned an SC430 since April of '01 (almost from the beginning).

Tread life: if you read up on all the info about tread life here and, for example, on the Edmunds board, you will find that tread life is way beyond the initial projection of 10,000 - 15,000. I have just had my tires rotated at 11,000 miles, and none show any real signs of wear. Most of the posts I have seen indicate that many drivers are beyond 20,000 and have not replaced them yet. When I bought the car, the salesman said the tires had a very short life span, which did not bother me much because I don't put a lot of miles on my car (just quality miles). They were playing quite safe with this estimate, so as to avoid later problems. If you are happy with 20,000 miles, you will have no problem here, as my impression to date is that this is realistic. My experience, as mentioned, is along these lines. My guess is that I can hit 20 easy, and that's with some quick starts and hard cornering.

Alignment and noise: be careful not to generalize from insufficient data. One or two people have said they have had an alignment problem. I only saw this mentioned very recently after two years of reading at least two SC430 national boards. I don't think it's a problem with the car, maybe just with a car or two. As for noise, when the top is down, who can tell? And when the top is up, I don't hear tire noise. Most people find the car pretty quiet. For a convertible, it's as quiet as they come, which is one reason I bought the car. On the highway with the top up, it's a very smooth, quiet, comfortable car, and very elegant and sophisticated. It is, however, hard to keep a low profile because it draws attention. Not a good car for stalkers.

Frankly, I don't know of any mechanical problems that have arisen. There was a lot of complaints about the ride during the first year of production, and Lexus will replace the bushings for free if you have an early model and ask them. I did that, and find the ride is improved. Cars sold now have the second set of replacement bushings, so that will not be a problem.

Let us know how you like it.
Old 12-23-02, 06:35 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Purchased a 2003 SC430 in September. Have 5,200 miles. Tires were rotated last weekend. No noise, no uneven wear, no appreciable wear at all.

The car is an extremely quiet cruiser. (Even if it wasn't, who could tell with the Mark Levinson system cranked up?) Ride gets a little "nervous" over repeated bumps, railroad tracks, etc., but is otherwise smooth. I believe they removed most of the suspension demons in the 2003 model.

You can take corners pretty close to the limit if you turn off the VSC, shift down to 2nd, and step on it. However, I'm sure it doesn't handle like a Corvette. I would still highly recommend this car.
Old 12-23-02, 06:49 PM
Davidtttt
Rookie

Thumbs up

Thanks all
I suspected much of that was written . Lexus could not have gotten such a good JD Power rating with a bunch of tire problems. I wanted to get an opinion (warm and fuzzy) of a few owners. The car is a toy to me as I will only drive it 6,000 to 7,000 miles a year so 20,000 on a set of tires is fine with me.

I can do with a little less of the Corvette experience for more of the Lexus Luxury.

I will start negotiations on 26 or 27 Dec and see if I can get a year end discount.

Thank again
Old 12-23-02, 07:27 PM
joeyb
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had a C5 corvette also , and have 20,000 miles on my SC430. Here are my comments.

The SC430 runflats do not ride as well as the C5's. The SC430 has the same size as the front of the C5, but with an 18" wheel. So, you get 1/2" less sidewall to absorb shock. I recommend non-runflat tires.

I am not experiencing any significant tire wear.

I have found the the ride quality is dependent on wheel alignment. Again, I think it because there is so little sidewall to take up the slack. But, the car itself does not have an alignment problem.

Otherwise, everything about the car is better than the Corvette (which isn't a bad car).
Old 12-23-02, 07:46 PM
Davidtttt
Rookie

Smile

I enjoyed my C5 very much and can recommend them to any one who has not owned one. However, the interior was lacking in creature comforts and It was time for a new toy. Looks like it will be a SC430
Old 12-23-02, 08:48 PM
tfischer

Default One More Thing

When you start your year end negotiations, remember that the Federal Auto Luxury will go away after Dec 31. Closing the deal in January, even Jan 2, 2003, will save you somewhere between $500 and $900.00.

Happy motoring.
Old 12-29-02, 07:44 PM
sexylexysc430
Driver

Unhappy When to replace tires?

I too have just over 20,000 miles on my SC430 with the runflats. The ride seems okay to me, I'm not noticing a great deal of road noise. Most of my driving is highway driving, with occasional moderately aggressive city driving. How do I know if I should replace the tires? I'm kindof a dummy about tire wear and stuff like that besides the 'ol penny trick.

I'm probably going to replace them with non-run flats (any tire brand/model suggestions), unless anyone knows of a runflat with a smoother ride. I'll forgo the spare tire kit because it'll severely reduce the meager trunk space. After all, that's what roadside assistance and tire road hazzard warranty is for right?
Old 12-29-02, 07:57 PM
tfischer

Default Not in the sticks

Your tires need replacing when the tread is worn down or worn unevenly. There are "tread wear indicators" built into tires. When these raised areas are flush with the tread surface, it's time for new tires.

The new SC430s are being shipped with a different runflat, which is considered an improvement, and new runflats are being developed all the time. I don't know what these new tires are, but the new models on your dealer's lot should have them. Ask him, and he will probably give you a test ride.

If tread wear is uneven across the tire, you may need new tires and an alignment or some other mechanical fix.

As far as running conventional tires without a spare, that's your gamble. I had gone for years without a flat, and then, in my old SC400, had one in some uncharted area of North Carolina where man and beast live alike. I changed the tire myself and got the flat fixed the next day when I came upon a "city."

Under such circumstances, the "road hazzard warranty" is not going to jack up the car for me, and my guess is that roadside assistance might have been able to get some help to me within 48 hours, assuming I was in an area with cell phone service, and assuming they send a guy with the right size tire in stock.

On the other hand, I once got a flat (from a roofing nail) in my own driveway.

Vegas is fun, too.
Old 12-04-14, 07:11 AM
spinecare1
2nd gear

I have a 2008 SC 430 and the only issue I have are the tires. I can't get more than 10K out of them. Some have developed bubbles after going over pot holes in NY. Others have worn unevenly in spite of the fact that I rotate and align frequently. The uneven wear is costing me a lot of money. The other sides of the tires are fine. Lexus first said they need to do the alignment and balancing so I let them do it and it has made no difference. Now I am hearing from them that it is something intrinsic in the SC that causes uneven wear and 10K is about right. Don't know what to believe. I am thinking about buying standard tires since none of them last long anyway and taking a chance that I don't get a flat. I moved to FL and at least we don''t have potholes here.
Old 12-10-14, 05:06 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Look into Bridgestone Driveguards. They are an economical runflat with good mileage warranties.

While you are at it, get your alignment checked at a third party shop, at least a second opinion from somewhere. You might have something the dealer has missed - worn control arm bushings, etc. causing alignment numbers to look good, but actually be bad as soon as its driven off the alignment rack. Make sure you stress all of the tire wear issues you have had when talking about the alignment.