Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Need new tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-12, 10:12 AM
smardav
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Need new tires

So I need new tires. I'm looking for all-season tires that grips well but most importantly it has to be quiet ones. I've been reading around, got so many different opinions (ups n downs); and I narrow down the list to:
1. Michelin MXV4+
2. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
3. Bridgestone Potenza RE970 AS

Which one among these that y'all think is the best for my criteria? Maybe some of y'all that have used these tires can share some inputs?

Looking to put these on my 2GS, prolly the 245/40/18 all-around..

I am also open for other suggestions, as long as it is QUIET! that's my most important criterion..

Thanks!!

Last edited by smardav; 12-11-12 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-11-12, 11:02 AM
Tread Depot
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What else were you looking for in a tire besides quiet? The first suggestion that comes to mind (and available in 245/40R18) is the Continental ExtremeContact DWS. Very smooth, very quiet and excellent wet weather traction. Feel free to give me a call at 888-421-8473 and I'll be happy to go over some options with you.

Andrew
Old 12-11-12, 11:10 AM
smardav
Lead Lap

My first concern is quietness. Second concern traction. I also want something that last for a bit with decent warranty. Trying to get the best bang for my bucks.
Old 12-11-12, 11:13 AM
smardav
Lead Lap

in terms of continental extremeContact DWS, I heard that that tire doesn't last very long? and it happens alot when it is gone before the warranty is up. is it true?
Old 12-11-12, 11:31 AM
Tread Depot
Former Sponsor

I have seen a few issues with life in the DWS, but it really depends on the vehicle and how well they are maintained. Our manager has them on his 325i and he's already put 40k on them and they still have 6/32 of tread left. So he'll probably get about 60k out of them. Cars with staggered size tires on them rarely get full mileage out of any tire. So that could be another place where the complaints on tread life came from.
Old 12-11-12, 12:05 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

i LOVED my mxv4's one of the best tires i ever rode 45k on...quiet/dependable....hate that they dont make them in 19's they make the primacies

dont get the pilot sports,although one of the best gripping tires i ever had they wear super quick and arent made for all weather conditions

never used the potenza so no opinion

tread depot, can you get the MXV's in 18's? i need a set for the rims im downgrading to
Old 12-11-12, 12:09 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

DWS is the way to go. You can't beat this tire for its tread life, year round traction, and price. I have them on three cars currently and for an all season tire NOTHING has compared to these.
Old 12-11-12, 12:59 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

I work in a Tire shop as well and I have to agree the DWS is very good and tread life is good as long as your car is aligned properly. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus is also extremely good. Those two in my opinion are the best Z rated all season performance tires out there.
Old 12-11-12, 08:42 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Um, Bridgestone, hands down.

The only thing the Conti might do better is a little bit better in the snow. Seeing as how you are in Texas, this shouldn't be a huge concern. The Bridgestone outperforms the Michelin in the wet and dry, hands down. I have driven them back to back in a performance driving event. Both beat the Conti hands down in terms of performance and quietness.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...=true&filter=y

RE970 is #1 on Tire Racks site...

I have and do sell all brands of tires, Bridgestone in this instance is definitely the best...
Old 12-12-12, 09:01 AM
zig@tr
Former Sponsor

I have the Bridgestone RE970 on my IS in 225/40R18 and love them. I have driven all three in our tests here at The Tire Rack, but the MXV4 does not belong with the other 2 tires you have chosen. The MXV4 will certainly be the most quiet and smooth but will feel more sluggish in steering response and handling when compared to the other 2 tires. The MXV4 is a touring tire and the other 2 are performance tires. The best fit in my opinion is the Bridgestone RE970AS.

Last edited by zig@tr; 01-09-13 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-12-12, 12:32 PM
Tread Depot
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sakataj

tread depot, can you get the MXV's in 18's? i need a set for the rims im downgrading to
Shouldn't be a problem, just need to know en exact size. You can either PM me, call me or email me at Andrew@treaddepot.com and I'll get you taken care of.
Old 12-12-12, 06:34 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Bridgestone's snow/ice tires are great compared to the competition. rest of the tires they MFG are garbage....
Old 12-23-12, 09:07 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
Bridgestone's snow/ice tires are great compared to the competition. rest of the tires they MFG are garbage....
Care to elaborate... the "rest" include the highest rated tires on the market...

like all manufacturers, they definitely build some tires that leave a lot to be desired, but I'd like to hear about your first hand experiences with their "garbage" tires...

RE-11 - #1 Extreme Performance Summer
S-04 - #2 Max Performance Summer
RE760 - #2 Ultra High Performance Summer
RE970A/S - #1 Ultra High Performance All Season
Turanza Serenity - #5 Grand Touring All Season (this is old tech though, the new Plus version is better, but no results yet)
HP Sport - #3 Sport Truck Summer
Dueler HL Ecopia - #3 SUV All Season
Firestone Destination A/T - #1 All Terrain
Firestone Destination LE2 - #1 Highway All Season
Firestone Destination M/T - #1 Off Road Max traction

In short, there are only a couple categories on Tire Racks review site that a Bridgestone tire isn't at or near the top of the list...

Last edited by mitsuguy; 12-25-12 at 07:27 AM.
Old 12-27-12, 11:50 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have two 2008 LS 600 HLs.
Both had bridgestone turanza EL42 tires. These tires don't seem to last very long. utqg was 320
I have to replace all 8 of them.

Tire rack had amazing deals!

I bought 4 Qty. P245/45R-19 Goodyear Eagle RS-A2 utqg:440 (would last longer!)
$628.94 including shipping! Delivery was next day to Milwaukee!

These good year tires were about half the price of the EL42s. The dealer scared me that RS-A2s would be loud and noisy.. but they seem to work fine. In fact, my driver, who picked up my car from the dealer, after installing these tires said.. "wow, the car runs great on these tires.. what are they?".. Of course, I shall wait to see how well they perform..

Tires to avoid: 245/45ZR-19 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3.. Great looking tires but the were simply horrible.. I don't recall the details but they were very bad.. Noisy and actually caused vibration (something to do with their very unique treat pattern). These also, I had gotten from Tire Rack. I spoke to them and they actually helped me contact good year and get most of my money back.
Kudos for great customer relations to Tire rack and Good Year!

For my second car, I bought, from Tire rack.

4 Qty. P245/45ZR-19 Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season
$723.30 (including $50 shipping!)

These were rated well by consumer reports. I have not put them on yet (that car has snow tires on different lexus rims). So, I don't know how well the pirellis work.. but the prices are great. I also am sensitive to road noise, fast wear etc.. the prices, make the preceding two sets extremely attractive (to me).
Old 01-03-13, 12:00 AM
RickL87
Driver School Candidate

I would go with the MXV4's, but I would go with either michellin over the bridgestone tire.

Quick Reply: Need new tires