Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Bent and curbed hre's: repair or rebuild?

Old 09-03-12, 01:44 AM
flubyux2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent and curbed hre's: repair or rebuild?

I picked up at set of 545r's in 19x8.5 +42 and 19x10 +47. Two have bends in the barrels and I think only the fronts have curb rash. The fronts are 7" barrels and 1.5" lips, the rears are 8" Barrels and 2" lips.

I was wondering if anyone with wheel repair/rebuild experience could comment on whether it'd be cheaper to straighten and repair the existing stuff or if rebuilding them is cheaper? If the wheels have to come apart for new lips and/or barrels, I figure I should just resize them: maybe use the 2" rear lip onthe fronts and get new 3.5" lips for the rears. If the fronts were 7"/2", the offset becomes +36 which is off-the-shelf Mkiv supra fitment. that's safe, but is it the same price to install a 2.5" lip on a 7" barrel and get a +29 offset? That would make for a nice fitment IMO. That combined with a new 3.5" lip on the rear 8" barrel should make a +28 offset. I've got a 18x10 +44 with a 305/35 and it barely rubs. A 19x11 +34 is already pushing it at poking out an extra 23mm. A 19x11.5" might be pushing my luck...

Sorry for rambling, just thinking out loud and trying to weigh my options.

Thanks!
Chris
Old 10-08-12, 02:22 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

costs for either depend on you really... or more specifically, your proximity to a good wheel repair shop.
straightening them is not overly expensive nor is fixing rash but if you are talking about relipping them, thats a whole different ball of wax.

if you are straightening wheels, then need to be assembled in their final product before you straighten them. if you straighten them and THEN relip them there is the possibility of them not being perfectly straight anymore.

As far as offsets go. i have no idea what car you are dealing to be able to tell you what will and wont fit. with but id suggest you start hanging out in the Wheel&tire sections on the VWVortex. you may be able to find someone to trade lips and barrels with or buy them from and get what you need for a more aggressive fitment.

if you can get the car on an alignment hoist and measure what your clearance is on the inside, you could probably get some bigger front and rear barrels to really push your fitment.

i used to fit and spec wheels for Kinesis and Fikse... there's lots you can do if you want to get the fitment as aggressive as possible if you really like the wheels you have.