Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

snow tire questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-02, 04:04 AM
geebee
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Default snow tire questions

Hey:

So I just finished searching this forum, the wheel forum, and TireRack, for info on snow tires for my new GS300...... And I'm still a bit confused.

I live in Boston where winters vary from almost no snow to several killer storms a year. I value quiet and dry handling a lot in my snow tire choice.

Question #1: A second set of wheels? TireRack has knockoff alloys for $105. Sounds good to me. Any reason not to get them? Besides saving $400?

The big Question: Which brand? From all the reading, it seems to come down to Michelin Arctic-Alpin or Blizzaks. From TireRack reports, the Michelin are a bit quieter and handle better in dry roads. The Blizzaks have the edge in ice.

Anyone have any thoughts or info to help me decide?

Thanks,
GB
Old 11-19-02, 05:13 AM
shftup
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ahhhh the winter tire decision....

You are right, the blizz. have better bite on ICE, but they wear very quickly on dry payment. The mich. will last much longer, and are less noisey on dry payment.
You could also look at the yoko AVS winter(i have them 235/45/17, on factor chromes), a solid tire, based on the AVS sports, u kinda get the best of both worlds(summer/winter), in this tire. Again, they will last much longer than the blizz., but have less bite on the ice.

If there will be snow/ice on the ground for the majority of the season, and u want the best control for winter, then blizz. is the choice. If u want something that will last, at the cost of slightly less control, then go for the Yoko avs winter/Mich.

Also, with winter rubber, get them rotated more often than summer tires.........so they wear more evenly, especially with rear wheel drive......i like to fish tale, just a bit.

Where i live we get snow for 4-6 months outta the year.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-19-02, 06:53 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

I'd def get the wheel/tire set. It'll cost at least $100/ year to switch from winter tires to summer and back with proper balancing, so the rims will pay for themselves in reasonable amount of time, plus just that much less hassle when it is time to change.
Old 11-20-02, 02:17 AM
GS - T.O.
Driver

Both are good winter tires, but Blizzak's tire compund is only good for the first 35%. The other 65% is just all season compound (this is why people think it wear out fast).

If you live in the city and do a lot of highway driving, look for something with H rating. If you drive on snow and icy condition most of the time, then go with Arict Alpin.
Old 11-21-02, 02:55 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Question I've got an idea?

I had the same delima last year. I considered getting all season tires, buying a separate set for winter, and parking the car on snow/ice days.

I went ahead and got some All-Season Yokahamas for the stock 16". After winter, I bought some stock 17". I think I'll leave the stock 17" with the factory Bridg tires and just keep the car parked on wet days. I also bought an all-wheel drive Jeep to get me around in winter. With all the salt and chemicals on the road during the winter up here, its a shame to drive the Lexus around.

May not be the most economical decision for you, but neither is getting a Lexus. I all about passion!

Cheers.
Old 11-23-02, 06:23 PM
oldguy
Driver

Haven't had them on snow yet, thankfully, but for quiet and smooth ride on wet or dry, I like my Dunlop wintersport m2 lots. I had Blizzak's on my 98 GS4 and they were like driving on marbles except in the snow. Then they were great. I have 16" stock rims.