Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

2008 IS350 Tire replacement thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-12, 12:30 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2008 IS350 Tire replacement thoughts

Hello folks,
Just returned from the Lexus dealer after an oil change and supposedly the front OEM Bridgestone summer tires(18" Turanzas) are worn out. The dealer suggested to just replace the fronts since the rears look fine? Is this ok?

Tirerack said not to go this route and I should replace all 4 of the same....hmmmm.

Next question,
I have winter tires already so should I go all season or with a summer tire? I need a good 25-30K out of them.

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 05-16-12, 01:08 PM
Tread Depot
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you already have winter tires, I see no problem with getting summer tires as they will last as long as you need. It really depends on what you will want to be doing with the car. I tend to use all seasons on my commuter because I drive alot and they tend to have better mileage and better wet traction, but for when I care about performance like on my project cars, etc. I tend to buy the tires by the season.

As for the keep 2 swap 2, we also do not recommend this.
Old 05-16-12, 03:32 PM
zig@tr
Former Sponsor

The reason for the 4 tires is the placement, two new summers in the rear you'd be ok but not in the front. Having the better traction in the front makes the car prone to oversteer which will cause the back end to slide out possibly into another lane of traffic or around in a circle completely. This is not just a Tire Rack suggestion, it is industry wide. I also drive an IS, I use all-season because in northern Indiana you never know when you are going to get freak early or late snow and I don't want to be caught without any snow traction. I have the Bridgestone Potenza RE970 A/S Pole Position and as far as dry and wet road grip they will out perform those OEM tires you are coming out of. However, if you are a very spirited driver you would benefit from a summer tire just be careful when you get close to the season changes. (I see you are in WI). As far as a summer I would look at the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport or Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

Bridgestone Potenza RE970 A/S Pole Position

Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport

Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Old 05-17-12, 09:09 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

As usual, I concur with Zig, both for why all 4 versus only 2 and the recommendations...

How worn are the rears? If they are close to new already, it isn't as big of a deal, obviously, but if they have less than 8 or so 32's of tread, then I would do all 4...
Old 05-18-12, 01:12 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The rears are pretty decent yet. I opted to go with the RE760's on the fronts for now and will get the matching rears after another 4-5k miles. If I notice something's off I'll order them right away.

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
As usual, I concur with Zig, both for why all 4 versus only 2 and the recommendations...

How worn are the rears? If they are close to new already, it isn't as big of a deal, obviously, but if they have less than 8 or so 32's of tread, then I would do all 4...
Old 05-21-12, 10:09 AM
Tread Depot
Former Sponsor

I would have them rotated then, industry standard states that the best tires always go to the rear. I have seen many demonstrations on why it is important and I and the rest of the company stand firmly behind it.
Old 05-21-12, 06:08 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Tread Depot
I would have them rotated then, industry standard states that the best tires always go to the rear. I have seen many demonstrations on why it is important and I and the rest of the company stand firmly behind it.
I would generally agree, but in this case, we are talking about a staggered fitment, so the only better obvious suggestion is to replace the set...
Old 05-22-12, 11:08 AM
Tread Depot
Former Sponsor

Ah true, honest mistake, do forgive me. Yes that would be the case, if you wanted a safer and more managable car in everyday and emergency situations then you should replace the entire set since it is staggered, there shouldn't be much of a problem though if say the fronts and rears are within 2 to 3/32s of each other.