Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Time for new tires soon...Maybe some of you LX/GX guys can chime in?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-12, 05:17 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Time for new tires soon...Maybe some of you LX/GX guys can chime in?

Tires for the Ram have to happen around Tax time next year...help me choose...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Extended%20Cab
^What I have now

Basically, I want an A/T tire thats quiet on the highway and in the city (most of my driving happens on long trips/paved roads), but I want to be adequate when I do have to go off road (hunting trails in deer/moose season, etc). I am keeping stock sizes due to Fuel economy concerns, Lifetime Power-train Warranty and price of tires. What it boils down to:

-Keep fuel economy the same as it is now. (20+hwy)
-MUST BE QUIET. I can't stand tire hum.
-Needs to last 50k+
-under $200 a piece, preferably under $185 a piece.
-needs to be good in snow, mud, gravel and tame on the highway.
-I am towing a boat with around 700lbs tongue weight.

I am open to other suggestions as well, but please, NO HIGHWAY/PASSENGER TIRES. I want an All-Terrain, not an all season. I have the Firestone Destination A/T's on it now and I LOVE everything about them, but want to try something different. I even went to tire rack and wrote a review:

I purchased my truck and it had some goodyears on it. They were absolute garbage. I put 1500 miles on them, and got the firestones put on. I lived in Northern NY at the time, near Watertown, and the tug hill plateau. 2 days after I got these tires a blizzard dumped 4 feet of snow, everywhere. I drove in it, in 2wd mostly, as surefooted as could be, pulled several people out of a ditch, was able to do the speed limits around town when most were restricted to about 10 mph. I have NEVER owned a set of tires like this. Get them in the mud, and they are great! The self cleaning on the tread is good, as well as water displacement. If you have enough tread on your tires, you wont hydroplane. This set of tires has crossed the US from NY-WA once, and then done a circle around the country from WA-TN-FL-AL-LA-TX-WA. My truck has almost 60,000 miles on it right now, and I would bet I can get another 10-15000 out of them before I have to start looking for replacements. If you own a truck and dont want to go big and expensive with thousands of dollars worth of tires, but still want quality, and expect performance in every driving condition imaginable, then this is the tire for you. Perhaps the most suprising thing about them though, is the absolute lack of noise at any speed. They are dead silent, all the time.
What I don't want is to spend $1200 on something I am going to hate for the next 50,000 miles. Please feel free to comment on these tires and even suggest other alternatives...

Much appreciated.
Old 05-04-12, 09:50 AM
Endika
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly all other A/T tires i have put on have developed serious road noise except for the firestone destination a/t's i think you should just stick with those
Old 05-04-12, 10:14 AM
Tread Depot
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd recommend either the Toyo Open Country A/T or the Cooper Discoverer AT3. Both are really great tires that should meet or exceed your needs and are sold in the price range you specified on our website. If you want the best of both of them I would say it goes to the toyo, but they are both wonderful and have had great reviews.
Old 05-04-12, 07:55 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I've noticed the Cooper AT3's seem to wear unevenly on more trucks than not, and the Toyo's seem to wear quicker than some...

If you just want something different, get the Bridgestone Dueler Revo's or AT/RH-S... I personally say go back with the Destination A/T... for the money, its the best value and one of the best overall A/T's on the market...

I've had the Revo's in 8" of pure mud and was no where close to being stuck... That same night, I pulled my brother out of the mud - he had some cheapie all terrains and was in the exact same vehicle - only difference was tire size - 265/60-18 here, he had 265/75-16... Although I was concerned with getting stuck myself, we didn't have much of an option at the time... At the same time, Vehicross's are hard to beat in the mud so long as you have a decent tire on them...

Last edited by mitsuguy; 05-04-12 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-05-12, 05:20 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

I never even noticed your links above...

You would not be happy with the Generals - wear issues, for sure, and the BFG's aren't very off-roadish...

The Revo 2's are amazing, as I already stated... as a direct comparison to the Destination A/T, I would say they are similar off the road, the Revo's a little quieter on the road with really good highway manners, and the Destination A/T's with a little better treadwear... Most people I see get 60k or more out of the Destination A/T's, whereas the Revo's are usually getting close between 50 and 55k... Proper alignment, rotations, and reasonable driving all being key factors there of course...
Old 05-05-12, 10:00 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

hmm...I am realllllly leaning towards the Nitto Terra Grappler's. The ONLY thing keeping me from deciding on them is that the Destination's are such a damned good tire, it would be a shame to not buy another set. The reviews are about the same on both. Anyone have any real world experience with the NTG's? They look like they would be loud on the highway...
Old 05-05-12, 05:08 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
hmm...I am realllllly leaning towards the Nitto Terra Grappler's. The ONLY thing keeping me from deciding on them is that the Destination's are such a damned good tire, it would be a shame to not buy another set. The reviews are about the same on both. Anyone have any real world experience with the NTG's? They look like they would be loud on the highway...
35-40k is all I would expect out of those.. not saying no one gets more, but thats about the average... used to sell a ton, and they are awesome when new, awesome so long as you rotate them, but they do tend to wear faster, like the Toyo's mentioned above...
Old 05-05-12, 07:59 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
35-40k is all I would expect out of those.. not saying no one gets more, but thats about the average... used to sell a ton, and they are awesome when new, awesome so long as you rotate them, but they do tend to wear faster, like the Toyo's mentioned above...
Hmm, well that tears it then, I think I am going to go with Destination's again... These things wear like iron even with a 6,000lb truck on top of them.

What about the Hankook DynaPro AT/m? Any experience with these?
Old 05-06-12, 06:49 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Hmm, well that tears it then, I think I am going to go with Destination's again... These things wear like iron even with a 6,000lb truck on top of them.

What about the Hankook DynaPro AT/m? Any experience with these?
Zero experience with them... I can't even say I've seen a set on a truck ever... The Hankook M/T's seem ok, they are pretty cheap, do decent off road, and decent on the road too... Hankook also has a factory fitment on Ford trucks, albeit, the entry level only, and they seem to be ok there too...

Too bad you aren't in Missouri, I'd hook ya up on the A/T's... (or any tire for that matter!)
Old 05-06-12, 07:16 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

I will be driving through missouri in september...whereabouts are ya?

Only bad thing is my tires arent bad yet...but for the right price I will haul them back with me so I have them
Old 05-06-12, 10:42 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

I'm 20 miles South of I-70, just past Columbia... Sedalia, MO...

I'll check on pricing and let ya know...