Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Continental DWS Pictures IS250

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-12, 01:25 PM
HID Fan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Continental DWS Pictures IS250

I am currently undecided about what tire I should buy for my 2008 IS250 AWD. I have actually already bought the Bridgestone Potenzas RE 970 Pole Positions but am probably going to replace them with another tire. Although these have slightly better handling I can definitely feel more of the road imperfections and when I hit bumps on the road it rattles the inside of the car. They seem to be worse than the OE Dunlops 5000's that I had on before. Anyway, to get to the point, I'm wondering what the Continentals DWS look like on the AWD wheels. Does anyone have any pictures that they can post of their tire/wheels on an IS250? The reason is the sidewalls appear to be more rounded rather than flat. Also has anyone experienced any flat spotting with the Continentals when the car sits for a while. There are a significant amount of people reporting this problem. I would really appreciate any help on this matter.
Old 03-23-12, 07:50 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

What tire pressures are you running? Sounds like it is too high... My RE960's (the version before yours) are awesome - very smooth, quiet, and handle well...
Old 03-23-12, 09:32 PM
HID Fan
Driver School Candidate

I will have to check the tire pressure. I just had them installed 2 weeks ago at Discount Tire so I assumed they used proper inflation pressure. I didn't check the pressure myself yet.
Old 03-24-12, 06:26 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Also, the R970's are a higher performance tire, in comparison to the Dunlop Sport 5000... The Continental is also a higher performance tire than the Dunlop Sport 5000, so it may have the same slightly harsher characteristics as the RE970... It sounds like you are more looking for a grand touring tire than a performance tire, so neither of the above would be recommended if that is the case.

Primacy MXM4
HX MXM4
Turanza Serenity

Those three would be quieter, smoother rides, with exceptional performance and a relaxed ride as well.

I don't believe the Continental would be an improvement from what you have. Even though they are in the same category as your OE Dunlops, both are worlds ahead in terms of dry performance. Both of your alternatives are W rated, for instance, where the OE Dunlop is V rated.
Old 03-24-12, 07:11 AM
HID Fan
Driver School Candidate

The Dunlops were V Rated. I wanted to get a superior tire to what the car came with. That's why I opted for the Bridgestone. Do you know what the proper inflation level should be on the Potenzas RE970? I really don't want a touring tire because I am looking for a good balance of performance and comfort.
Old 03-24-12, 07:40 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by HID Fan
The Dunlops were V Rated. I wanted to get a superior tire to what the car came with. That's why I opted for the Bridgestone. Do you know what the proper inflation level should be on the Potenzas RE970? I really don't want a touring tire because I am looking for a good balance of performance and comfort.
The RE 970 are 94 load index, whereas the Dunlop are 91 load index. Both are eurometric rated, so in theory you could run a pound or two less than what the door placard says. For added margin, however, I would run what the door placard says and adjust from there.

In general, for more performance, there will be some sacrifice in ride quality. Any of the tires I listed above should perform better than the Dunlops, and ride smoother, not as an effect of performance rating, but just because they are better engineered tires...