Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

DONT BUY AKATA 10mm SPACERS!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-12, 06:35 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about what happened to your car, honestly I ran my set of v2 10mm spacers for almost a whole year with 0 issues, then again I did always make sure they were properly TORQUED.

Don't get me wrong, I am not stepping up for the company, nor do I like running spacers, but this can happen with ANY company that makes spacers man. There are MANY ichiba, h&r, and project kik spacer horrors stories out there.

Weird though, I ran my spacers for a whole year with zero issues, sold them, and they broke on the new owner...

BTW VOSSEN isn't AKATA. Two different companies, but yes Vossen does like to stand behind them.
Old 03-16-12, 10:56 AM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vroomin350

BTW VOSSEN isn't AKATA. .
This.

Young has been contacted by us as he reached out to us. It is unfortunate what happened but Akata is not Vossen and this needs to be crystal clear.

Thank you.
Old 03-16-12, 11:04 AM
Yellow91
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AYEmike
i have the 15mm one bro, ill check them out tomorrow. does **** me off that they loosen every couple weeks or something. i would go ape shiet on vossen if my spacers snap though, no lie lol.
Whew, ok that's a relief "i think" ur better off with the 15mm since there is more material on the spacer but I'd still check them. If it was the 10mm I would not run them period.

Originally Posted by CCJ22
I have never used spacers and never will. My brother, 6 years ago, was tracking on them... Sure enough he ended up in a wall because the spacer couldn't handle the stress.
I realize tracking a car takes a TON of abuse on suspension/wheel... However, imagine if he was on a roadtrip across country and that happened.
There should be more threads like this.
Yes, spacers are actually pretty sketchy stuff when you think about it. Once they break = Game Over.

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
I try to warn people on here that spacers just aren't as safe as a correct sized wheel bolted directly to the hub, but people are either cheap or whatever and want to fit crazy fitments on our cars...

Get what fits correctly, the first time...
Yes, it's better to be safe then sorry BUY true QUALITY the 1st time & shouldn't regret it. I'm very dissapointed in these Akata spacers that Vossen Wheel always says only good things about.

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
Sorry to hear about what happened to your car, honestly I ran my set of v2 10mm spacers for almost a whole year with 0 issues, then again I did always make sure they were properly TORQUED.

Don't get me wrong, I am not stepping up for the company, nor do I like running spacers, but this can happen with ANY company that makes spacers man. There are MANY ichiba, h&r, and project kik spacer horrors stories out there.

Weird though, I ran my spacers for a whole year with zero issues, sold them, and they broke on the new owner...

BTW VOSSEN isn't AKATA. Two different companies, but yes Vossen does like to stand behind them.
Wow, that sucks to hear what happened to the 2nd owner after you sold the spacer. Yup Ichiba, H&R, Project Kics are all more legit quality brand spacers. Especially the Kics since i did a comparison between the two. Only thing you would have to worry about on those is the studs ever failed..
Old 03-16-12, 11:57 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
LOL at your comment...

But I love knock offs.... Cause it pisses the ***** outta haters....
I dont mind knock offs too I ran them on my SC

I'm using 19mm spacers right now and its my first time and i was super scared going on the freeway, but it turned out fine. I quadruple check made sure each bolt holding the spacer is torqued to 90 pounds.

The spacer I used is adaptec motorsports which plenty of people recommended.

And to the guy who tracked with spacers.. why in the world would you need to do that.
Old 03-16-12, 07:28 PM
Yellow91
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
This.

Young has been contacted by us as he reached out to us. It is unfortunate what happened but Akata is not Vossen and this needs to be crystal clear.

Thank you.
Yeah, i was told that nothing can be done until word from the manufacture of these spacers but Akata is having hard time getting a hold of them after 3 weeks. Which kinda doesn't make sense.. But yeah it's probably best if Vossen Wheel doesn't promote these 10mm bolts anymore or at least warn people so that they are aware of this issue since it is a "defect" as I'm not the only one who experienced the same problem.
Thanks.
Old 03-16-12, 11:06 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sc300jz
I dont mind knock offs too I ran them on my SC

I'm using 19mm spacers right now and its my first time and i was super scared going on the freeway, but it turned out fine. I quadruple check made sure each bolt holding the spacer is torqued to 90 pounds.

The spacer I used is adaptec motorsports which plenty of people recommended.

And to the guy who tracked with spacers.. why in the world would you need to do that.

My bad I thought you were being an a$$ about it...

But anyways, PBM's use wheel spacers on their drift cars, seen them in person, and theirs is even adjustable, you can add more spacers for more offset... It really boils down to quality and proper installation...
Old 03-30-12, 10:21 AM
jimmay
Driver School Candidate

WOW. I was in this exact situation on Monday! Luckily, I was already in my neighborhood.
Old 04-01-12, 11:02 PM
Pqbrown
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a different problem with the 10mm akata spacers. The problem with mine involved the stud, which apparently is too long for the stock wheel locks. The lock ran out of thread and spun the stud on the spacer, effectively leaving the wheel stuck on my car. I had to use a die grinder to grind the top of the lock off and unscrew the rest of it. After finally getting the spacer and wheel off, it was clear the stud stripped out the aluminum and was spinning as I tried to loosen the lug. I sent them pictures and told them what happened, after 2 months of emails I gave up, with the final email complaining about one of the worst customer service experiences ever (I got no response back). Akata is a joke, I would steer clear from this company just for the sheer fact that they do not know how to treat the customer.
Old 04-03-13, 07:59 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Planning on picking up a set of 15mm now i'm scared lol
Old 04-03-13, 10:23 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

stick to good name brand ones. i had project kics bolt on 10mm installed on my previous car for a long time with no problems. the 10mm bolt on from kics is A LOT heavier and more sturdy than the other project kics in other sizes . that's prob because the spacer itself needs more strength to hold on to the studs.
Old 04-03-13, 12:50 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Every brand has a horror story. I am sure a lot out source their production and no matter what it is there are going to unusual failures. Murphy's law
Old 04-07-13, 05:46 PM
MXT4life
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you guys are looking for spacers, I have had great luck and customers service with www.motorsport-tech.com spacers.High quality, made in Nevada and lifetime warranty and offer custom sizings as well as hubcentric to wheelcentric spacers!
Old 04-11-13, 11:11 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

if you're going to use spacers that thin, dont buy any with studs built in. Dont be lazy, install longer studs.

Torque could be an issue if you dont stay on top of it.. All of those "stud built in" spacers require u to re-torque after 40-50 miles. Thats not an option...they will back out and as soon as they do it starts to eat away at the spacer material.

Hubcentric slip on spacers with longer studs is the way to go.

Lots of high quality "Made in the USA" spacers are out there...not sure why people go cheap on crucial parts like this.

Glad you're not hurt!!