Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Triangle or Achilles any good?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-12, 04:24 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Triangle or Achilles any good?

Are those two brands any good? I run a 245/35/19 and tires in that size are not really cheap especially when I drive spirited and have -2 degrees of camber. My previous tire was a general exclaim uhp and I was fairly satisfied with it, but they no longer make it in that size. I need a inexpensive tire that I can flip for longevity due to negative camber. I found a used set of michelin ps2's but I believe they can only be mounted with the "outside" facing out so I dont think they would be good for me..Any opinions.. thanks
Old 03-14-12, 06:17 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

ya gotta pay to play...

those tires are junk... give your car what it deserves, a decent set of shoes...

I ran -2.5 degrees of camber in my old SC400 and got 25k out of the tires...
Old 03-15-12, 05:48 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
ya gotta pay to play...

those tires are junk... give your car what it deserves, a decent set of shoes...

I ran -2.5 degrees of camber in my old SC400 and got 25k out of the tires...
Have you ever owned a set of either tire the OP is discussing? No not, how can you give a review. OP, I haven't owned a set of either tire myself, but I've heard nothing but great reviews about Achilles tires. There was a thread in the 2nd Gen forum discussing the Achilles tires by people who acutally have owned them. Now Triangle, I have now idea. I just know that Triangle and Diamondback tires look the exact same.
Old 03-15-12, 07:16 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
Have you ever owned a set of either tire the OP is discussing? No not, how can you give a review. OP, I haven't owned a set of either tire myself, but I've heard nothing but great reviews about Achilles tires. There was a thread in the 2nd Gen forum discussing the Achilles tires by people who acutally have owned them. Now Triangle, I have now idea. I just know that Triangle and Diamondback tires look the exact same.
I have experience with both of them. I have sold them to customers looking for the absolute cheapest tire. Neither last for anything and neither wear well at all... One customer drove on a set of Triangle tires for one month, hated them so much, they bought a better set of tires and gave the Triangles away. I have other experiences, but Ill leave it at that for now...

Keep in mind, I'm not saying buy the best, but spend some money and get something decent...
Old 03-16-12, 01:08 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've used the Achillies ATR's for about a year. No problems as of yet and I run -2 degrees. I have about 10,000k miles on them and I have no signs of major wear. The ride is rough but that's expected with a 35 series tire being clunked around on a 17 year old car. The tire noise is quiet though, I expected much worse for cheap tires. In all, I'm pretty happy cause they are under $100 each.
Old 03-16-12, 02:50 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

rule of thumb.

Cheap tires arnt good

Good tires arnt cheap.

How much do you value your life? other peoples lives? family? Tires and brakes are safety items/cheap insurance. dont cheap out IMO.
Old 03-16-12, 02:54 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
most people who rate them as "good tires" have not owned a set of good tires. or at least most have not really.
Old 03-16-12, 04:21 PM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have triangles for my rears stretched, everything is cool. the tires are loud but that is it.
Old 03-16-12, 05:11 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Just cause you buy brand name brand doesnt mean it always the best. Anything can be defective. You can spend 200-400 per tire and who know in 3k they can blow. People run cheap brake from autozone, pep boy and i dont see them killing million of people.
Old 03-17-12, 07:14 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by laobo979
Just cause you buy brand name brand doesnt mean it always the best. Anything can be defective. You can spend 200-400 per tire and who know in 3k they can blow. People run cheap brake from autozone, pep boy and i dont see them killing million of people.
It isn't so much a defect issue as it is poor performance... Wet traction, dry traction, road noise are all just a few considerations...

Do you buy the cheapest shoes possible? I know I don't - I buy what works the best for its intended application...

Tires should be the same way - buy the best tire for its intended application... I realize not everyone can afford the absolute best and there are definite good values (price vs performance) out there, but in general, buying the absolute cheapest thing you can is not the way to go when it comes to tires, which are the ONLY thing touching the ground, and the most responsible for how well a vehicle performs in the dry and wet, yes, even more important than a lowering kit or upgraded shocks/springs...
Old 03-17-12, 10:30 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Yeah I wear $2.50 Asian flip flop from the Asian markets ain't nothing wrong with them haha.. I rather buy those then $50 Jordan sandal cause it does the same thing.
Old 03-17-12, 12:50 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Achilles are made in Indonesia. Do you guys have any idea what the driving conditions are in Indonesia to say Achilles suck? Yes, branded tires are good, but then again, when you go "stanced" you don't really need a tire that lasts long, no matter what you're gonna go through it faster than properly used and installed tires, and if you have the money then it's not a problem for you then. But not all people have "the" money, and not all people give a sh#t about branded or not(IMO, status symbol is for girls), the question was simple, Triangle or Achilles, stay within the topic people. Triangle is made in China, not bad, but not good either. The rubber they used is so impure that it wears fast. Achilles wears fast also, but Triangle wears faster. Only thing I hate about Achilles is road noise. And oh yeah, just because it's expensive, doesn't mean it's the "best". "Best" is very subjective. What's best for you might not be the "best" for another person. Besides, most people who say that the less known brands suck haven't really used them yet. And just to add FYI, Toyota/Lexus/Scion get alot of parts manufactured in Indonesia, so does that mean the parts suck?

I don't really understand this status symbol BS, the more expensive the better it is?

Last edited by OG Dada; 03-17-12 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-18-12, 07:29 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
Achilles are made in Indonesia. Do you guys have any idea what the driving conditions are in Indonesia to say Achilles suck? Yes, branded tires are good, but then again, when you go "stanced" you don't really need a tire that lasts long, no matter what you're gonna go through it faster than properly used and installed tires, and if you have the money then it's not a problem for you then. But not all people have "the" money, and not all people give a sh#t about branded or not(IMO, status symbol is for girls), the question was simple, Triangle or Achilles, stay within the topic people. Triangle is made in China, not bad, but not good either. The rubber they used is so impure that it wears fast. Achilles wears fast also, but Triangle wears faster. Only thing I hate about Achilles is road noise. And oh yeah, just because it's expensive, doesn't mean it's the "best". "Best" is very subjective. What's best for you might not be the "best" for another person. Besides, most people who say that the less known brands suck haven't really used them yet. And just to add FYI, Toyota/Lexus/Scion get alot of parts manufactured in Indonesia, so does that mean the parts suck?

I don't really understand this status symbol BS, the more expensive the better it is?
I guess if you don't care how well a car handles in the dry and wet, road noise, or whatever, then get the cheapest thing out there...

While you are doing that, I'll enjoy a nice, quiet smooth ride on one of the best rated tires on the market, which means I also enjoy excellent dry traction and amazing wet traction...

In comparison to almost every other tire on the market, those tires are terrible in terms of performance. Quality, well, every tire manufacturer has their problems, for sure, but some go to higher extents to reduce issues, like Bridgestone and Michelin, hand inspecting every single tire.
Old 03-18-12, 10:39 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

While you were typing all that ish, it's been raining hard out here in SoCal. And my Achilles have been gripping the road quite well. I am very concerned about traction when it comes to driving, I wouldn't consider Achilles tires if it wasn't performing good. It saved me from a lot of close calls, like 2 inches away close calls, and my ABS even kicked in. All I'm saying is, give a proper feedback, not a hearsay BS. I can bet you'd be swearing you've used it before even if you haven't on your next post.

PeoPle who buy expensive brand names are mad when cheap brands can perform well, not the same but good enough, for a fraction of what they payed for. I guess it's sower graping, so they wouldn't look like too much of a sucker. Gimme a break, and quit trying to justify your lust for brand name ish to keep up with the Joneses.

Last edited by OG Dada; 03-18-12 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-18-12, 11:14 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
While you were typing all that ish, it's been raining hard out here in SoCal. And my Achilles have been gripping the road quite well. I am very concerned about traction when it comes to driving, I wouldn't consider Achilles tires if it wasn't performing good. It saved me from a lot of close calls, like 2 inches away close calls, and my ABS even kicked in. All I'm saying is, give a proper feedback, not a hearsay BS. I can bet you'd be swearing you've used it before even if you haven't on your next post.

PeoPle who buy expensive brand names are mad when cheap brands can perform well, not the same but good enough, for a fraction of what they payed for. I guess it's sower graping, so they wouldn't look like too much of a sucker. Gimme a break, and quit trying to justify your lust for brand name ish to keep up with the Joneses.
I am sure they are ~fine~ as I have stated before...

Perhaps if you had better tires, your ABS wouldn't have kicked in - ABS only matters when tires lose traction... They might not have had as good of traction as you believe, and, I get it, you are trying to reason your purchase of cheap stuff... I get it...

The only driving I've EVER done on cheapie tires (like those) is on customers cars that are usually complaining of something about them... My personal vehicles always get good tires... My brother is a great example here - he bought some cheap *** mud tires, only to dump them 2 months later and drop $1000 on a set of real M/T's...

Quick Reply: Triangle or Achilles any good?