Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Triangle or Achilles any good?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-12, 11:59 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Exactly my point, you haven't used them personally, as a daily. I've been using them on my personal car, and as a daily, where me, my wife and my daughter rides. So you're saying I don't care for their safety because I don't buy your precious expensive Bridgestone or Michelin? You don't make sense. I wouldn't even stop arguing with you about this, because EVERYONE I've talked to that ACTUALLY USES it are very satisfied with its performance for their price. And like I said, the only set back is the road noise. And again, let's stay within the topic, the question was between Achilles and Triangle not some other mud tires.

I'm not disrespecting you in any way btw. I know we all have opinions, it may not matter to you but it matters to me, but what matter the most is how you justify your opinion, right? ANd like I said, what might be the best for you, may not be the best for me, because "the best" is very subjective.
Old 03-18-12, 01:41 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The only people that will support your opinion are those that are trying to defend buying the cheapest stuff possible...

Everyone else in the world (even those that can't "afford" the best) know that there is much better out there...

There is NOTHING either of those two tires do as well as even a mediocre tire out there...

To me, its ballin on a budget... Nothing wrong with it, just don't hate when people make comments that what you are using is junk...
Old 03-18-12, 02:17 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

I'm not gonna hate if you or anybody else think its junk if they've actually used it. Because the fact still remains that most people who say when you go cheap it means it's junk have never in their life ever used the cheap brands and give a hypocritical feedback about them. And I give facts, and the fact is there are more people that buy cheap brands and if you're saying they're crap then a lot of people would've already died and the government would've gotten involved already; if and only if, they used and installed it the right way.

Here are some points I have for using Achilles;
They're made in Indonesia, and if you've been in Indonesia you'd know their driving conditions there;
They have a tropical season, which means it rains half the year, and it's summer the other half.
So who are you to say they suck at wet or dry?
Second is, their speed limit is not so far to here in the US, freeway is 120km/hr roughly 75 mi/hr.
Third, their inner city roads are crappy as hell so their tires should be able to withstand that.

Again, I'm not saying its better than well known brand tires, what I'm saying is for their price they're not bad AT ALL. I wouldn't even say they're junk or crappy, but good enough for daily. Drifters even track them, for real.

Mitsuguy, I'm not bashing your opinions about them, but please don't give a feedback if you haven't tried them out on a larger scale of driving conditions. Your rebuttals doesn't even matter because all you said was they're crappy and junk without actual facts to base it on, which is the part that aggravates me. Get this, it's like you're saying that a certain dish doesn't taste good but you haven't even tasted it.
Old 03-18-12, 05:33 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
Get this, it's like you're saying that a certain dish doesn't taste good but you haven't even tasted it.
I have tried them in limited circumstances... Sometimes limited is all you need to know that there are much better out there... Drifters use them because their traction sucks and they are cheap, meaning they are easy to drift and it doesn't matter when a lack of traction is their sole purpose on the track....

I don't need to eat the whole steak at Denny's to know that it is terrible in comparison to Ruth Chris, one bite is usually enough to know...

As far as saying they are good because they are built somewhere that has crappy roads? Seriously? I don't even have a comparison for that, as I've never heard ANYONE use that to back up their feelings about something. When a company like Bridgestone has 142 factories worldwide, are you saying that their products that come from their Indonesian plants are better than those from their Japanese plants because the roads are worse there?

I am sure they are round, black, and hold air - that is all some people care about when it comes to tires... I am also sure that almost every other tire out there is better than those two specific tires. Some people would rather have badass 20" wheels and cheapass low profile tires, whereas I am a little different - nothing wrong with aftermarket wheels, but, for the money spent, I'd rather spend it on good tires - they are more important to handling and safety than low profile, large diameter wheels and tires...

I'm not going to respond to this anymore. It has gone too far as it is, and as a mod, I'm not going to continue to argue a point, I'll let people choose for themselves...
Old 03-18-12, 06:45 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Wow, I can see how narrow minded you are. I know that as a mod you should at least know a lot about whatever you're assigned for, but man, you gotta widen up your horizon, because seriously you don't know anything but what your pops have told you as a kid, or what the media says, or the fact that you haven't traveled around the world to know more than what you got used to living in the Southern part of good ol' US of A.

I said it again and again, that I'm not saying Achilles or Triangle is better than whatever brand you're using. But you are totally missing the point or you just don't wanna let up because you feel that as a mod you should know more. Yeah you should stop, because you can't even justify/back up with a fact why you think these tires are crappy. Let me guess, you still do oil change every 3000 miles even though the car manual says 5000-7500 miles? I guess so, cause all you know is what the old folks told you.

The OP was, which one is better, Triangle or Achilles? Then you come at the guy saying Bridgestone or Michelin. Wouldn't we all want to have Michelin if we all have the money to buy them? Then he wouldn't be asking that question then, right? Whatever man, you're setting a bad example for kids, to not support small businesses, like such, because you think that the more expensive stuff are always better.

Last edited by OG Dada; 03-18-12 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-18-12, 08:12 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
Wow, I can see how narrow minded you are. I know that as a mod you should at least know a lot about whatever you're assigned for, but man, you gotta widen up your horizon, because seriously you don't know anything but what your pops have told you as a kid, or what the media says, or the fact that you haven't traveled around the world to know more than what you got used to living in the Southern part of good ol' US of A.

I said it again and again, that I'm not saying Achilles or Triangle is better than whatever brand you're using. But you are totally missing the point or you just don't wanna let up because you feel that as a mod you should know more. Yeah you should stop, because you can't even justify/back up with a fact why you think these tires are crappy. Let me guess, you still do oil change every 3000 miles even though the car manual says 5000-7500 miles? I guess so, cause all you know is what the old folks told you.

The OP was, which one is better, Triangle or Achilles? Then you come at the guy saying Bridgestone or Michelin. Wouldn't we all want to have Michelin if we all have the money to buy them? Then he wouldn't be asking that question then, right? Whatever man, you're setting a bad example for kids, to not support small businesses, like such, because you think that the more expensive stuff are always better.
Oh my, you just can't help but try to insult me.

Southern USA huh? Perhaps you should do a little research... I've lived outside of the United States for a total of almost 3 years, Central America included. I also change my oil every 5000 too, on the cars I care about...

I don't think that Triangle and Achilles are junk just because they are cheap, I think they are junk because the people I deal with on a daily basis think they are junk too. They spend good money on them only to find them not last long, have bad traction and be noisy...

I have spent 12 years in the car repair / tire business. At one point in my career, I was selling 100k worth of tires PER MONTH... I'd say I've dealt with a few customers in my life. I remember when Consumer Reports said that the Falken Ziex 512's were better than a comparable Michelin, and even a few other tires. People were ordering them left and right because they were cheap and CR gave them great reviews. I would say 50% of those customers were back within the month seeing if we would give them a deal to take them off and replace them with something else. I've seen it all man. I've even seen the direct results of a blown out Firestone tire (and I am a fan of Firestone too) that was on a Ford Explorer that flipped because of the blowout. The rest of the tires on that specific vehicle were all between 18 and 21 psi.

On top of being in the car business for 12 years, I've owned my own computer store, sign store, worked as a 4x4 recovery driver, am a licensed US Coast Guard Boat Captain, SCUBA diving instructor, and have traveled to every single state in the continental US, including Alaska. I've been there, done that, and I'm just a hair over 30...

Again, as a mod, I don't think I know more, but, when an opinion question is asked, I give both mine and popular opinion. In this case, popular opinion is that those tires suck and you are trying to justify your purchase, again, I get it... I really do, but you don't have to start attacking others because they call you out on it...

Last but not least, the only times I've mentioned Bridgestone/Michelin in this thread is when I said they hand inspect every tire, which they do. I never once said they were the only options, in fact, I never even recommended either in this thread, I only said that there is a reason that better tires cost a little more, and that in most cases, it is very much worth it...
Old 03-18-12, 08:22 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Both of you have made valid points. At this stage, agree that each will have a different perspective from each other and leave it at that. For other owners of these tires, they can chime in as well.
Old 03-18-12, 09:02 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Ok, I'm sorry for getting at you like that. I didn't mean it to get personal. My bad.
Old 03-19-12, 03:34 AM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

my experience w/ achilles atr sports:

-great tires for basic dd use. a set of 4 for about $300 (225/40/18)
-noise is low compared to other tires i ran on my sti and my wrx wagon (dunlop star specs, dunlop dz101's, dunlop sport maxx's, kdw's, re70 potenzas, list goes on)
-grip/performance sucks big time compared to all of the above, as expected from such a cheap tire
-stretches great, if youre into that kinda thing
-holds up well w/ -3 camber all around (again, if youre into that kinda thing)
-handles well in the rain. its rated M+S ... but i honestly would not try my luck w/ it in the snow
-treadlife utqg 400... my last set got me 15k over 18 months. it has 4/32nd tread left. (could go a bit longer but i just upgraded to new wheels and needed a new tire size)

its not the best tire out there, but for those who are on a budget its not a bad choice.
Old 03-19-12, 07:27 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

I agree with King Phillip based on what the OP asked. To compare Bridgestone or Michelin vs Triangle or Achilles is just crazy. I think everyone knows that the 1st two tires are way better than what the OP asked about. I value my life but I'm not the type to blow $200 per tire when I can get a good tire for $80-100/per. I've owned Michelin and Continental tires, both were great...actually Continental tires (20" wore better than Michelin) was the best I've owned, but were expensive. I've owned Nitto's too, but tires wore way to fast...also expensive. So the last set of 20" tires, I tried Nexen N3000 which was much cheaper, but read about great reviews. I can honestly say that these tires performed just as well as the Continental, Nitto, and Michelin (minus road noise) and I saved a lot. Nexen is a GREAT mid range tire. They have actually gone up in price since the last time I purchased them due to people buying them now.
Old 03-19-12, 11:04 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

achilles are what Very Important People choose. you know, the people that spend 3000+ on a set of rims, and 300 total for tires. these tires have soft sidewalls that lead to bubbling. the advantage of these tires are cheap to buy, cheap to replace.
Old 03-19-12, 11:46 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

^^^It's not actually "soft" sidewalls that lead to bubbling... It's camber, because you're putting all the weight of the car at the edge of the tire instead of the weight being distributed evenly across the tire, that causes the ply's of rubber to separate. That's why I said, if and only if it was used and installed properly. But yeah, VIPers use it because it's cheap to replace, due to the faster wear and tear of tires when going "stanced", and because it's performance has not been compromised by the "cheap" factor.
Old 03-19-12, 02:55 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

camber does increase the chance of bubbling. maybe you havent seen bubbling on the outside sidewalls before. these happen when soft sidewalls get "pinched" when hitting a pothole.
anyway, like you said, people that purchase these cheap tires are not going to go crazy on them, so the chances of failing isnt that much more than an expensive tire.
Old 03-19-12, 04:31 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

My bad, I made it sound like it's all the cambers fault.. Lousy writing skills.. But yeah I think you meant factory defect in manufacturing, because the ply's tend to separate when they experience "trauma". And yeah I've experienced bubbling with Achilles tires, that's why I don't recommend like, installing and removing it repeatedly from your wheels. That's what happened to mine, when the guy was removing 1 month old tires, I think he pressed it too much with that hydraulic looking thing for removing tires that it caused the entire outside wall to bubble.
Old 03-26-12, 01:03 AM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are some options for you.

General http://www.treadepot.com/tire/15489930000.html

Toyo http://www.treadepot.com/tire/15489930000.html

I have the Toyo's and would recommend them.