Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

TPMS on AFTERMARKET WHEELS

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-12, 08:04 PM
wuboy28
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS on AFTERMARKET WHEELS

so i just bought a used lexus from a dealership. The check engine light is ON, due to missing tpms on the wheels . the salesmen told me. and he said he could provided me with the so called "straps" to hold the tpms. does anyone know what "straps" he is talking about? because i ask around and people have no clue.

thanks guys
Old 03-03-12, 10:28 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by wuboy28
so i just bought a used lexus from a dealership. The check engine light is ON, due to missing tpms on the wheels . the salesmen told me. and he said he could provided me with the so called "straps" to hold the tpms. does anyone know what "straps" he is talking about? because i ask around and people have no clue.

thanks guys
Check engine light will never be set by anything wrong with the TPMS. TPMS issues will give you a tire light with an exclamation point and worst case scenario, the general warning light which is a triangle with an exclamation point.

Based on your thread title, the car has aftermarket wheels... most aftermarket wheels can have the TPMS sensors installed no problem, the ones that can't sometimes use a strap or an adapter to hold the sensor inside the tire... TPMS isn't as big a deal as your check engine light... definitely need to get that at least diagnosed to find out the issue...

Go to a car parts place and see i they can pull the codes for you, then report back to the maintenance section of Club Lexus and we can go from there...

To get TPMS working properly, you will have to install sensors in all the wheels, then have them calibrated to the car. Very doable, but the sensors aren't very cheap...