Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Best All-Around Tire

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-12, 07:26 PM
neomedic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best All-Around Tire

I know the best is the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. I have a set of hankook ventus v12 evo that has about 50% left. Just wanted to get some input for the next set and keep an eye out for a good deal.

They are on Five Axis S5:F wheels.

Looking for some tires that are all around performance, but the priority is tread life and durability, followed by comfort and minimized road noise, but still provides a good feel of the road. Don't want to be too soft. Price range, hopefully under $200 each. But they still should be performance oriented!!!!!!

Likely tire size:
Front: 235/35/19
Rear: 265/30/19 or 265/35/19

Unless you guys recommend another tire size.

What does you guys recommend?? Thanks.

Last edited by neomedic; 01-16-12 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-15-12, 08:29 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The PS2 is a great tire, but its not the best all around tire... It is terrible in the snow, for instance... Not that you need that, but, its hard to say anything is the absolute best...

In your price range, there a few tires...

BFGoodrich KDW's
Conti DWS
Yokohama S.Drive
General G-Max
Kumho SPT

Out of those, my favorite is the KDW, so long as you don't need winter traction. If you needed winter traction, then either the DWS or G-Max... Kumho's and Generals are the cheapest, the Kumhos don't last terribly long...

The DWS will probably get the best mileage... The KDW won't be bad though in that tire size...
Old 01-15-12, 09:56 PM
neomedic
Pole Position

^^^ Thanks
Won't need any snow coverage. No snow in California. Just some good traction when wet.

So looks like the two to choose from are the Cont DWS and Yokohama S.Drive Looking for good mileage tires.
Old 01-16-12, 02:48 AM
neomedic
Pole Position

What about hankook ventus v12 evo???
Old 01-16-12, 05:57 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by neomedic
That's what he has... As with most other people that have them, they are fine when new, but as they wear, they wear fast and tend to get noisy... (just an assumption based on personal experience and what I've read) They also aren't the greatest performance tire... They are cheap though...

Between the two picked S.Drive and DWS, if you don't need all season capability, the S.Drive is a pretty good tire for the money... The BFG outperforms it a little bit, but, at the cost of a little more road noise and a little less treadlife...
Old 01-16-12, 06:01 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The second best tire I have ever had (after the PS2) is te Bridgestone AS960.
Old 01-16-12, 06:27 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Ice350
The second best tire I have ever had (after the PS2) is te Bridgestone AS960.
I love my RE960A/S's They are amazing... they handle really well and they still go in the snow... I would have definitely recommended them here, or the newer version, the RE970A/S, but it appears they aren't made in the sizes he wants... there is only one 30 series 19" tire and thats a 295/30-19, which is a pretty good difference from his requested rear size...
Old 01-16-12, 07:35 AM
zig@tr
Former Sponsor

If it is strictly summer you are after with the best dry/wet grip, I like the Continental Extreme Contact DW. Tread life is very good for a performance tire, and ride comfort and road noise feedback is very good on this tire. As you can see there is not a lot of crazy tread designs built into this tire the and also with the asymmetric tread pattern you can still rotate side to side to even out the toe and heel wear for maximum tread life and less road noise.

Continental Extreme Contact DW

Old 01-16-12, 11:43 AM
neomedic
Pole Position

My current OEM = Front 225/40/18 and Rear 255/40/18. Got some 19" wheels so need new tires.

Probably looking for rear tires in 265/35/19 since they are closest to OEM. The tires that are on the wheel now are 265-30-19. Does it matter? Should I get new tires to be closer to OEM or just run the 265-30-19???

Looking for the thickest side wall possible (for ride comfort and better protection from pot holes), but within OEM diameter size
Old 01-16-12, 07:56 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

265/35-19 would be better in the rear...

Probably the reason why it has 265/30's on it right now is that 265/35-19 can be a hard size to get in the lesser expensive tires, but, the Conti DW that Zig suggested are available in that size in the price range you are looking for...
Old 01-16-12, 08:29 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by neomedic
Originally Posted by zig@tr
If it is strictly summer you are after with the best dry/wet grip, I like the Continental Extreme Contact DW. Tread life is very good for a performance tire, and ride comfort and road noise feedback is very good on this tire. As you can see there is not a lot of crazy tread designs built into this tire the and also with the asymmetric tread pattern you can still rotate side to side to even out the toe and heel wear for maximum tread life and less road noise.

Continental Extreme Contact DW

The Continental DW are rated #2 for HP Summer Tires on Tire Rack. And they are only few bucks more than the Hankooks. Worth a try.
Old 01-18-12, 02:52 PM
jcars1990
Driver School Candidate

the PS2 have been awesome for me
Old 01-20-12, 03:08 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by jcars1990
the PS2 have been awesome for me
Yes, if you got the money then by all means. Continentals DW are just right below PS2 by one rank and it's cheaper.
Old 01-20-12, 04:28 PM
neomedic
Pole Position

^^^ And the Continentals DW have better tread life too. So cheaper and last longer...I think I'm leaning towards this one. Give a little on performance, but I don't track or race, so it's a worthy trade off for me.
Old 03-13-12, 05:03 PM
neomedic
Pole Position

If I went with the Continental Extreme Contact DWS (50K tread life warranty with 540 UQTG) vs. the Continental ExtremeContact DW (340 UQTG), will I be sacrificing too much performance for extended tread life? I like to take corner somewhat aggressive, but it is a daily driver and I don't race or track.

A difference of 200 UQTG is quite a bit....would translate of a lot more road miles.

I keep reading that Continental have soft side walls that may bubble, but haven't read anything on the ExtremeContact DWS, rather other Continental tires. Should I worry about this? And these will already be low profile tires with a 35 side profile.

thanks.

Quick Reply: Best All-Around Tire