Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Snow is here!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-11, 08:33 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Snow is here!

And I suppose it has been for many of those out there already... Got about an inch of snow and its definitely not going anywhere, its 25 degrees here and the wind chill is 15 degrees...

Been a while since I've driven in the snow, so I've been doing laps around the neighborhood (which doesn't get cleaned out)... I had forgotten how good my RE960's were in the snow - very impressed yet again... Not to mention the amazing snow traction control setting on my IS300... the wife is getting around real easily in her full time / torque on demand 4wd Vehicross and Bridgestone Dueler REVO's, but, I had to get out and test the IS... my first year with her in the snow... I realize neither of these tires are true snow tires, but they are as good of all season tires as I can imagine...

Was stopped behind a school bus on an incline in our neighborhood, had two cars, a Cobalt and an Altima behind me... The school bus did a nice one wheel peel all the way up the hill, and I slowly followed... the two cars behind me never advanced and ended up backing up, turning around and going the other way... WINNER! Love the Lexus' and love the tires...

Be safe everyone out there this winter!!! Use common sense and remember no matter how good of tires you have, if they are getting worn, they aren't going to do nearly as well in the winter... Snow tires and good all season tires are definitely worth the money - summer and high performance tires are down right dangerous in the snow... Even then, tires can't always save the day - you have other drivers out there to contend with and no matter what tire you have, ice is going to be a real challenge... Nothing beats a little smart driving sense!
Old 12-06-11, 09:01 AM
John U
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've used "snows" on every car I've owned since I was 16 (Corvettes being the exception). If you have a set of summer 'bling rims" using snows with the stock rims prolongs the life of the summer rims and tires.
Old 12-06-11, 09:19 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ooh mnn..be careful out there..i just got my winter tires on too..
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.ca/tire-s...alom-ksi-tires..
altho they are used ones..they still have lots and lots of thread left
Old 12-07-11, 10:52 AM
zig@tr
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On related winter topic, The Tire Rack just posted a new video on winter tire testing. This time we were not testing the different winter tires but instead we demonstrated the unpredictable handle you can get when only installing two winter tires on the front of a front wheel drive vehicle. Take a look!

Front Wheel Drive, Ice Testing Link
Old 12-07-11, 06:19 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by zig@tr
On related winter topic, The Tire Rack just posted a new video on winter tire testing. This time we were not testing the different winter tires but instead we demonstrated the unpredictable handle you can get when only installing two winter tires on the front of a front wheel drive vehicle. Take a look!

Front Wheel Drive, Ice Testing Link
thats good stuff man!

just had a customer try to insist we install snow tires on only the front of his fwd vehicle - we wouldn't do it... he asked what he was supposed to do and I simply told him he was actually safer with them on the rear, but that I highly recommended putting them on all 4...

either way, as usual, I am pretty impressed by those Blizzak's... to get any traction whatsoever on sheet ice like that is awesome...