Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Lexus RX models - Best All-season tire choices

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-11, 07:14 AM
zig@tr
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus RX models - Best All-season tire choices

I receive a number of phone calls per day regarding the best all-season tire for the Lexus RX model, so I thought a post may help some find their answers through the forum. Most of the Lexus RX owners I speak with want a tire that is smooth, quiet, hydroplaning resistant and has good snow and ice grip. I have compiled a list of the top 3 performers from my personal customers experiences as well as overall great customer survey results to back up these recommendations.

Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring

Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza

Michelin Latitude Tour

Last edited by zig@tr; 08-10-11 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-05-11, 01:00 AM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

What about the yokohama Parada spec-x?
Old 09-09-11, 09:37 AM
zig@tr
Former Sponsor

The Yokohama Parada Spec-X (Street/Sport Truck All-Season) is a really good choice as well. This is more of a sporty feeling tire which has great steering response and cornering feel, but the stiffer sidewall does have a bit of a harsher ride then a touring tire. So, if you drive your RX a little harder than the average RX driver this is a great choice. Long wearing, quiet and does great in winter weather. Great recommendation.

Yokohama Parada Spec-X Link

Old 09-30-11, 05:00 PM
KingStyles
Driver School Candidate

What is your opinion on the continental extreme contact dws?
Old 09-30-11, 10:29 PM
DKak
Driver School Candidate

Default How about tire recommendations for an older RX?

Thank you for your recommendations. However, I have a 2003 RX (1st gen) and it takes 225/70/16 tires as stock. I know the Yokohama Parada isn't available in my size but the other three are. I've looked at all of them on the Tire Rack site, but none look all that compelling compared to my current tires (Michelin LTX M/S).

I've had the LTX M/S on it for nearly 3 years and they are still pretty quiet and have been surprisingly good in snow & ice. However, they're pretty soft and bouncy riding, especially with the Lexus recommended 30 psi. And cornering does not inspire confidence. I run them around 32 psi, and the sidewall says 35 psi is max for this size of LTX M/S so I don't go much higher.

I've combed the Tire Rack site as well as other sites but I can't seem to find another tire that has the same quietness and grip but that would have much better handling and ride. When I called Michelin to ask, they pretty much said the newer LTX M/S2's ride and handling is a little better but not really much different from the old one. They did emphasize that it is even better in snow and ice, though.

One tire that caught my attention is the Cooper CS4 touring, T-rated (no H or V in my size). It looks like they aren't often found online so there is little comparative info and Tire Rack doesn't carry Cooper.

Other details: Location is CO, so an all-season tire is preferred and I'm not interested in buying different size wheels and tires (too much expense). Struts were replaced with Sensa-Tracs about a year ago and to me they have about the same feel as the OEM did. It is interesting to note that the Monroe part numbers have not changed, but these struts are now called "Reflex Series". I don't know if they are truly any different than mine which were labeled "Sensa-Trac".

Do you have any tire recommendations that will address what I'm looking for?

Last edited by DKak; 09-30-11 at 10:51 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-03-11, 02:23 PM
zig@tr
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DKak
Thank you for your recommendations. However, I have a 2003 RX (1st gen) and it takes 225/70/16 tires as stock. I know the Yokohama Parada isn't available in my size but the other three are. I've looked at all of them on the Tire Rack site, but none look all that compelling compared to my current tires (Michelin LTX M/S).

I've had the LTX M/S on it for nearly 3 years and they are still pretty quiet and have been surprisingly good in snow & ice. However, they're pretty soft and bouncy riding, especially with the Lexus recommended 30 psi. And cornering does not inspire confidence. I run them around 32 psi, and the sidewall says 35 psi is max for this size of LTX M/S so I don't go much higher.

I've combed the Tire Rack site as well as other sites but I can't seem to find another tire that has the same quietness and grip but that would have much better handling and ride. When I called Michelin to ask, they pretty much said the newer LTX M/S2's ride and handling is a little better but not really much different from the old one. They did emphasize that it is even better in snow and ice, though.

One tire that caught my attention is the Cooper CS4 touring, T-rated (no H or V in my size). It looks like they aren't often found online so there is little comparative info and Tire Rack doesn't carry Cooper.

Other details: Location is CO, so an all-season tire is preferred and I'm not interested in buying different size wheels and tires (too much expense). Struts were replaced with Sensa-Tracs about a year ago and to me they have about the same feel as the OEM did. It is interesting to note that the Monroe part numbers have not changed, but these struts are now called "Reflex Series". I don't know if they are truly any different than mine which were labeled "Sensa-Trac".

Do you have any tire recommendations that will address what I'm looking for?
Unfortunately you will be limited by the 16" wheel, there are no street/sport truck all-season tires to offer in this size. I would still say switching to a crossover SUV tire like the Bridgestone Dueler HL Alenza will improve steering response as this tire has more "car" qualities built in then a highway all-season like the Michelin LTX MS.

Last edited by zig@tr; 07-09-12 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-04-11, 10:37 AM
DKak
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zig@tr
Unfortunately you will be limited by the 16" wheel, there are no street/sport truck all-season tires to offer in this size. I would still say switching to a crossover SUV tire like the Bridgestone Dueler HL Alenza will improve steering response as this tire has more "car" qualities built in than highway all-season like the Michelin LTX MS.
Thanks for the information. So it sounds like you'd put the Dueler HL Alenza ahead of the Latitude Tour based on what I'm looking for? Hmmm, the "would buy again" numbers aren't stellar for either one.

I know that Tire Rack doesn't carry Cooper, but can you (or anyone else reading this who has experience with this tire) offer any input on the CS4 "T" rated tire? I know it's a completely different situation but I had a set of CS4 "V" rated on my '01 LS430 Sport Suspension at one time and thought they were quite good. However, the "T" rated is a somewhat different design. For reference, I now have Pilot Sport A/S Plus on the LS now and love their handling (just wish they were as quiet as the Coopers were).

Thanks!
Old 02-09-12, 02:38 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Dear Zig@tr,

My 450h is originally running on 235/55/19 (19x7.5" wheels). Can I use the SAME wheels and mount these tires on those wheels 245/55/19 (+1.5% difference) or 255/55/19 (+3% different) ?

Thank you.
Old 02-09-12, 07:07 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
Dear Zig@tr,

My 450h is originally running on 235/55/19 (19x7.5" wheels). Can I use the SAME wheels and mount these tires on those wheels 245/55/19 (+1.5% difference) or 255/55/19 (+3% different) ?

Thank you.
No problem really...

Most 245/55-19's and 255/55-19's call for a 7"-9" wheel... No problem there... will mess with the speedo a little, but not a big deal if they are matched all the way around...
Old 02-10-12, 06:05 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
No problem really...

Most 245/55-19's and 255/55-19's call for a 7"-9" wheel... No problem there... will mess with the speedo a little, but not a big deal if they are matched all the way around...
Thank you!!!!

Using 245/55/19 is just +1.5% different. I just like the FATTER tires look....
Old 02-10-12, 07:56 AM
zig@tr
Former Sponsor

The Tire Rack recommends 255/50R19 this is 29.0" tall, your stock tire is 29.1" tall. The 245/55R19 is 29.6" tall and actually more than 1.5% off. The closer more precise choice would be 255/50R19.
Old 02-10-12, 12:42 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Originally Posted by zig@tr
The Tire Rack recommends 255/50R19 this is 29.0" tall, your stock tire is 29.1" tall. The 245/55R19 is 29.6" tall and actually more than 1.5% off. The closer more precise choice would be 255/50R19.
That looks and handles even better. I am just afraid 255 will be TOO wide for 7.5" wheels. Can you confirm?

Thank you.
Old 02-10-12, 03:07 PM
zig@tr
Former Sponsor

That size calls for a 7"-9" wide wheel you are good to go!
Old 06-08-12, 12:43 AM
TXPROSTAR
Driver School Candidate

I need a set of these!
Old 08-21-12, 06:02 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone here from Atlantic Canada?
My '10 RX350 will need tires before the snow flies.
Considering a spare set of rims & a true snow tire.
We get a fairly cold Winter here, snow fall varies year to year.

A few local RX350 owners are split - some run all seasons while others run snow tires.
We've had excellent service from the Bridgestone Blizzaks on our last 3-4 vehicles which were all FWD. We would put the snow tires on all 4 corners.

Thanks for your input.

Quick Reply: Lexus RX models - Best All-season tire choices