Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Forced into new wheels etc

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-11, 04:15 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forced into new wheels etc

I have put about 60K miles on a set of horrible firestone tires that I got on my car when I bought it used at 38K miles. I took it to one place and they said I could go another 4K miles and then I drove it another 1-2K and then took it to discount tire because they have a sale ending today $100 off a set of tires. Anyway I got in there ordered a set and said let me know if any of these wheels are bent. He showed me that 3 of the 4 wheels where bent and I think there isn't a use of putting those wheels on the car (atleast he says they are bent, I couldn't see any bends or anything or noticed vibrations when driving the car. Anyway he took me outside to try to find some clearenced wheels and told me that today only he could sell me a set of tenzo cuzco 19 9.5" 5*114.3 wheels for $100 a wheel (brand new) anywhere you look it is $300 or close a wheel. I don't like the look that much perfer the vossens but at $400 for a brand new set of wheels I couldn't pass that up. Anyway I bought some tires. 255*35 19 Michelon Pilot sport as plus for $300 each. I think on my last lexus gs I put 255*40 on there I want some meat on the tires as not to damage a wheel and also the huge wheel gap on the 06 gs 300 awd could be helped out. Anyone know if 255*35 is going to be a thick enough tire or does that thing look like a rubber band? these tires were not in stock and Now i have to wait on them.n Another question: since these wheels are $300+ a piece anyone suggest the road hazzard plan? I might have had 1 tire out of 600K miles on the road get damaged enough that it couldn't be fixed, usually run over a nail or two where it can be plugged though. Any input is nice. The warranty on those 4 tires are $203 alone.
Old 07-02-11, 04:16 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One more note, after taking the wheels off suddenly i got side damage on a wheel and they stabed it etc I saw them tearing the tire up so they had to give me a loner tire until these come in.
Old 07-02-11, 09:34 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

If you figure the warranty will more than pay for one tire, it may or may not be a great deal... hard to say, but, if you have even one problem, its worth it... besides, then there is no hassle if there is any question if it is repairable or not... (and it also doesn't matter if there is tire damage from an impact, as it will be replaced regardless) just to clarify, the road hazard does not cover the wheel... (one thing to think about is that Discount Tire gives you a pro-rated road hazard regardless, the one you purchase is for 100% free replacement, with the option to purchase a certificate for the new tire)

255/35 will be pretty low profile, but not terrible...

Sounds like they had ordered something in and lost the customer, thats a deal, for sure... so long as you like the wheels, sounds like you got lucky - they aren't great wheels, but they are fine...