Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

stored tires still good?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-11, 12:42 PM
kannon
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stored tires still good?

Okay so I have two unmounted tires that had five thousand miles put on them. Still tons of tread left on them. I took them off a year ago and they have been sitting unmounted outside. They are under cover, so no rain directly hits them. But this is seattle so it rains often and is very moist. Are the tires still good?
Old 06-20-11, 04:30 PM
Boyracer40
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kannon
Okay so I have two unmounted tires that had five thousand miles put on them. Still tons of tread left on them. I took them off a year ago and they have been sitting unmounted outside. They are under cover, so no rain directly hits them. But this is seattle so it rains often and is very moist. Are the tires still good?
it really depends on the compound and the type of driving you do. if they're all season tires, you're probably fine.

i had a set of hankook RS3's i used for competition last year, and they sat in the garage during the winter (off season) they're max performance summer tires, and when i went out to auto-x this year the tires were crap. compared to a friend who had the same tires but new, mine were hard as rocks and had no grip.

if they're performance tires, poke at them, and feel them out. if they're still soft and compliant, they're rpbably god, but if they're hard and seem to have lost their elasticity, i'd think twice about using them.
Old 06-21-11, 11:29 AM
kannon
Pole Position

Alright ill give em the poke test. Maybe brush the spiders off too