Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

18s on a GS300!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-01, 08:37 PM
gmendoza
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK...this is what I have decided on...I am getting 18X7.5 Katana Belajeo's for my 1998 GS300. The tires I am getting are 235/40s all around. I am also going to do the L-Tuned set-up. Does anyone have comments on this look? Has anyone ever seen a similar set-up? I am very curious to see how this will look once they are done. Will this give my car a good look (compared to the stock equipment I have now)?
Old 03-14-01, 08:45 PM
gmendoza
Driver School Candidate

Here is the Belajeo...any comments? Thanks!

http://www.victoriatire.com/wheels.h...del%5D&size=17

Old 03-14-01, 08:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I think those wheels are too narrow. Why don't you want 8 or 8.5 or even 9?

Old 03-14-01, 09:00 PM
gmendoza
Driver School Candidate

To be honest with you, I like the look of the Belajeo and I am also looking to keep my cost down. Is there another wheel in the same price range that you would recommend? I have heard of Konig, TSW and Racing Hart also. Are these in the same range? I'm sorry but I am very new to this. Again, I am looking to keep my costs down (I am still going to be doing the L-Tuned package). Thanks!
Old 03-14-01, 09:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I understand keeping the costs down! This upgrading is expensive stuff. It was the first time I'd done an aftermarket wheel/tire upgrade also, and it's been a bit of an adventure, so I'd like to help if possible.

First off, if the wheel maker doesn't offer a version designed for the GS, then according to a high end balancing shop I went to, you need 'centering rings' to get them balanced right. Apparently places like Tire Rack will ship centering rings with wheels if they're not designed for your car model which is cool.

Anyway, as someone else said, 7.5" wheels are generally for smaller cars where the wheel well isn't that wide. I think the stock 17" wheels are 8" wide.

My wheels/tires combination were $2060 by the way, which for a staggered setup is very reasonable. Granted they're not multi-piece wheels I don't think, although they do have (a fake I guess) bolt look around the lip. I have 18x9.5 on the back and 18x8.5 on the front. I have 235/40/18 on the front and 265/35/18 on the back. If I had to do it over I'd get 245s on the front and 275s on the back, but I'm still happy. I did have to go through some hoops to get aftermarket centering rings though which was a pain.

If you're interested, you can see my car at:

http://www.higginbottom.com/paul/cars/gs400.htm

Good luck!

Old 03-14-01, 09:21 PM
gmendoza
Driver School Candidate

I've called a few shops and they have told me that they have done Belajeo's before on a GS300 and that they look nice...I really do like the look of the wheel (what do you think of the wheel's look?) but I don't want my car to look goofy. See they way I figure it, the stock 16s that it has now are 7.5 in width so the 18sX7.5 with a nicer tire (235/40) should look very nice. Am I wrong?
Old 03-14-01, 09:30 PM
gmendoza
Driver School Candidate

For example, I know that the IS300 comes with 17 x 7.0-in wheels with 215/45ZR17 tires. The combo that I would have would look larger than that. Wouldn't it?
Old 03-14-01, 09:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I think the wheels you're looking at DO look good!

If the shop has done it before, that's a big plus. And 7.5" should work, I just haven't heard anyone that's done that. Also, depends if you're going mainly for looks, or for performance. If some of the latter, then a wider rim and tire is the way to go. If that's not interesting to you, or as you say, beyond your budget, I understand.

Don't let me put you off - I'm NO expert on wheels/tires, believe me.

Good luck.
Old 03-14-01, 10:44 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you figure the stock 16s that it has now are 7.5 in width so the 18sX7.5 with a nicer tire (235/40) should look very nice. Well, the stock 7.5 width is WAY TOO NARROW for the rear. 8.5 is normal, and 9.5 is perfect. but i think going stock 7.5 size is too narrow. You see how the rear wheels SINK in to the fenders? Don't look nice.

I've seen a guy's white GS400, with similar design wheels. But his wheels are 20". Looks very phat. However he has hydraulic suspension and stuff, so his 20" can actually be lowered for show. But I think 18s would be good. I actually think the design is pretty clean and nice.

Again, going 7.5 all around might seem small in the back, even with 235s. Try larger size. (but your wheel is only 7.5. That's a problem.)
Old 03-15-01, 11:55 AM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Question

Originally posted by bitkahuna
I understand keeping the costs down! This upgrading is expensive stuff. It was the first time I'd done an aftermarket wheel/tire upgrade also, and it's been a bit of an adventure, so I'd like to help if possible.

First off, if the wheel maker doesn't offer a version designed for the GS, then according to a high end balancing shop I went to, you need 'centering rings' to get them balanced right. Apparently places like Tire Rack will ship centering rings with wheels if they're not designed for your car model which is cool.

Anyway, as someone else said, 7.5" wheels are generally for smaller cars where the wheel well isn't that wide. I think the stock 17" wheels are 8" wide.

My wheels/tires combination were $2060 by the way, which for a staggered setup is very reasonable. Granted they're not multi-piece wheels I don't think, although they do have (a fake I guess) bolt look around the lip. I have 18x9.5 on the back and 18x8.5 on the front. I have 235/40/18 on the front and 265/35/18 on the back. If I had to do it over I'd get 245s on the front and 275s on the back, but I'm still happy. I did have to go through some hoops to get aftermarket centering rings though which was a pain.

If you're interested, you can see my car at:

http://www.higginbottom.com/paul/cars/gs400.htm

Good luck!

bitkahuna,

Do you know the offsets on your wheels? I have the AP Racing brakes and I'm looking for a set of track wheels/slicks. Your price seems reasonable and I heard some Wed wheels would clear my brakes. Thanks.

And I also think 7.5" is TOO narrow for the GS. Even for track, I'm looking at 18x8's.
Old 03-15-01, 01:15 PM
gmendoza
Driver School Candidate

What do you guys think of this wheel? I like it for the GS300!!! This one does come in 18X8.5!!!

http://www.giovannawheels.com/NewPages/rioc.html

Old 03-15-01, 02:26 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by gmendoza
What do you guys think of this wheel? I like it for the GS300!!! This one does come in 18X8.5!!!

I see that your taste is very different from mine, but hey, that's what makes every car unique.

These wheels, i don't know if they should be considered spokes or dish. They're too fat to be called spokes, but too thin to be called dish. Might look nice on the GS, but will come out small. These wheels, 18", will look like 17" on a GS if not lowered.

What mods do you have on ur car now?
Old 03-15-01, 03:31 PM
gmendoza
Driver School Candidate

My car is not lowered right now. I have the stock 16s currently but once I get these 18s, I plan on getting the L-Tuned package. What do you think?
Old 03-15-01, 04:18 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

My car is not lowered right now. I have the stock 16s currently but once I get these 18s, I plan on getting the L-Tuned package. What do you think?
That would be great. I have L-Tuned suspension right now and i will be upgrading to 18s also. I think 18s with L-Tuned is probably the best way to go in order to keep the comfort with great looks.
Old 03-15-01, 05:12 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

I thought Mike Ray from our group was selling his Giovanna wheels. I don't know which model. You might want to email him and ask.

MikeRay_2000@yahoo.com

Quick Reply: 18s on a GS300!!!!!!!