Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Difference in Tires from dealer, Wal-mart, and Tire shop?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-11, 09:33 AM
tftimm
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Difference in Tires from dealer, Wal-mart, and Tire shop?

I can't find an answer, so I'm beginning a new post.

Are the tires sold at dealers (Lexus, Toyota, etc.) the same exact tires that are sold at Tire Rack, etc.? I have heard they use different compounds.

I have also heard that Tires sold at Costco, Walmart, etc. are slightly different than the tires sold at Tire shops. The difference being speed rating, treadlife, compounds, etc.

Can you help me understand the differences, if any?

Thanks.
Old 03-14-11, 09:58 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

If the name and all of the specifications are the same, then they are the same tire...

You have to look closely to tell the difference between what are referred to as a dealer specific tire versus what are usually more widely available tires.

A great example is the Michelin LTX M/S versus the Michelin XC LT4. The LTX is available through any Michelin dealer, and is a great highway light truck tire. The XC LT4 is also a great highway light truck tire, but, has less features than the LTX...

There are also many different styles within the product lineups... Just do a search on Tirerack for Michelin MXV4 and you will find dozens of different styles, designed for different vehicles with different speed ratings, load ratings, and even a few different tread styles.

You just have to look closely at the product name and description...
Old 04-26-11, 08:50 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tftimm
I can't find an answer, so I'm beginning a new post.

Are the tires sold at dealers (Lexus, Toyota, etc.) the same exact tires that are sold at Tire Rack, etc.? I have heard they use different compounds
Yes exactly the same. There are "OE" versions of tires, but we also sell them not just dealerships. I think that is where the confusion here may be.

Walmart, Sams, Costco sometimes sell tires that only they can get from the tire manufacturers. These are usually produced at lower level factories (BFG Branded produced at UNIROYAL factories, Goodyear made at KELLY etc.) And are usually older models and technologies that are "recycled" to meet a certain price point.