Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Wheel Recommendations!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-01, 04:35 PM
gmendoza
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What 18" wheels would you recommend for a 1998 GS300? I am not looking to spend too much money. I would like to get a very nice looking wheel for a reasonable price. Any suggestions? Thanks!!!
Old 03-14-01, 04:59 PM
RacingAristo

If you are not gonna spend too much money on rims then I guess you could only look for 1pc. Why don't you tell us your budget and it will make helping you easier?
Old 03-14-01, 05:03 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by RacingAristo
If you are not gonna spend too much money on rims then I guess you could only look for 1pc. Why don't you tell us your budget and it will make helping you easier?
exactly. For example 1 pc. Racing Hart wheels are very affordable yet nice looking. 18" RH C5 evo, M5 evo, etc. are all nice wheels, and with tires they cost still alot under 2grand.
Old 03-14-01, 05:16 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb wheel choices

Hello G,

when it comes to wheel choice, i always tell potential buyers to follow the B.B.S. rule" Beauty, Budget, and Safety.

1.Beauty-it is in the eyes of beholder, very personal decision. i.e. some like them chromed, some canot stand them.

2.Budget- very self-explanatory

3.Safety- make sure they are TUV(german safety std), or JIC(japan safety board) approved. usually big names like volk, Hart wheels(L/H, R/H), yokohama(advan), amg, schniter, and racing dynamics are all good choices. their reputation is at stake, so quality is not a problem.

i am not sure if you were at the old forum. i was selling sets of 18*8.5 and 18*10s of Radius(the Italian OEM co. that makes wheels for racing dynamic wheels and other brands). they are of course, TUV approved.

one of the fellow members, Y2Kgs4 bought a set within 2 hrs of my ad placement. he has been searching for that particular wheel for over a year. you can see his car on the gallery, page 3, under y2kgs4, there are 4 pics.

he has 18*8.5F and 10R. he uses 245/40/18F, and very happy with the way both wheel and tires feel the fender gap. i still have one set of 18*8.5s in sparkling silver finish, and i will be placing the for sale sign in the classified section this weekend. they are brand new, imported from italy by my cousin who is a direct importer of auto accessories. these are the specs:

18*8.5 bolt pattern 5:114.3 ET45(offset),
$350 each plus shipping(my ad price).

they were designed and made especially for the gs, one piece, light weight and durable. though they are 18", the way those spokes climb outward aggresively actually make them look like 19"s when the car is in motion.

quite a few member wanted the 10s for the rear, but for now i only have 8.5s. since you and i are both in S.Cal, i can delieverd to you personally.

my address: lexusbill@clublexus.com

if this style is not your cup of tea, just go to several large wheel and tyre store, and try diifferent styles next to your gs, just remember the BBS rule.

william:
Old 03-14-01, 09:59 PM
RacingAristo

You can generalize rims in 3 categories: Dish, Spoke and Mesh. Personally speaking, I love 5 and 6 spoke, and that is very general pattern. As ClobeCLK mentioned, Racing Hart C5 EVO looks just like C5 except 1 pc and narrower. Dave at www.gtautosports.com could give you a decent price on those babies.
Old 03-14-01, 10:57 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

GS4will mentioned BBS wheels. IMO they' very nice wheels. But the mesh designs are getting played out. Newer companies are adding new twists to the mesh wheels to make them look nice.

BBS LM.... very nice wheels. MY favorite BBS wheels. They're multi-piece and mesh design. However they're very expensive. Could run you as much as 4~5k including tires for 18"s!!

If you're into mesh wheels.... check Cerumo Sports C-39. IMO best looking mesh wheels. Cerumo Sports is a division of Bridgestone, like how AVS wheels are under Yokohama.

Here's a pic. The black stubs at the edge of the spokes are carbon fiber pieces.
Attached Thumbnails Wheel Recommendations!!!-c39.jpg  
Old 03-14-01, 11:33 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Default to globe

Hey G,

do you know anyone who deals with bridgestone wheesl in S.cal?

i like the ZEIT wheels also. thanks.

Will
Old 03-15-01, 02:12 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: to globe

Originally posted by gs4will
Hey G,

do you know anyone who deals with bridgestone wheesl in S.cal?

i like the ZEIT wheels also. thanks.

Will
Who's G? GlobeCLK or Gmendoza? heh heh

Ask Vic at Discount Tire Center. It's located in El Monte, close to where 10 and 605 intersects.

Vic might not have them in stock or something, but he can get it i'm pretty sure. He can get anything. And Vic is one of the very few tire shop owners who actually knows alot about Japanese wheels. So he won't be like, "Advan? Volk? Zeit? Cerumo? What?"
Old 03-15-01, 04:07 PM
RacingAristo

dude, it's for you, GlobeCLK. Check out the sub-title.

You can ask around the price and Dave at gtautosports will price match it. I believe you can pick up the rims at Anaheim so you save almost a hundred dollars plus no CA sales tax as gtautosport is Arizona based?

But no sales tax saves you another 8% of total price.
Old 03-15-01, 04:15 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Question to RA

Dennis,

where did you get the wheels, is it gtautosports?

is dave's distributor in anaheim? if so, thta will be cool.
Old 03-15-01, 04:23 PM
RacingAristo

I got my set of rims from some guy at Houston. However, before I was going to purchase Lowenhart LD1, and after months of research, Dave was proved to offer the lowest price. He told me that his distributor is located at Anaheim so I can waive off the shipping cost if I'm willing to pick them up myself.
Old 03-15-01, 04:46 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

dude, it's for you, GlobeCLK. Check out the sub-title.

You can ask around the price and Dave at gtautosports will price match it. I believe you can pick up the rims at Anaheim so you save almost a hundred dollars plus no CA sales tax as gtautosport is Arizona based?

But no sales tax saves you another 8% of total price.
oh i rarely read the subtitles, they're too small for my bad eyes.

Well, if Dave @ GTA can match prices that would be really cool. I believe he also has alot of knowledge about Japanese wheels, even on his website.

But I dont' get what you mean by save almost 100 dollar. You mean free delivery?

there's a way at Discount Tires to be tax free also...(shhhh........)
Old 03-15-01, 04:47 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

oh. subtitles too small i don't read them.

Anyways, no tax and no shipping from Dave? wow, who's the distributor?

Don't think VIC at discount can pricematch, but they should be pretty low (but then again, Dave can match.)

If you go cash deal at Discount, heh heh heh......
Old 03-15-01, 05:01 PM
RacingAristo

I meant you could pick up the rims yourself and save $100 for shipping.

When purchasing car parts, I tend to use cash to seek some advantages as GlobeCLK mentioned. [cough cough wink wink]

All I need now is STB and sway bar. Apparently nobody offers the STB that doesn't require to remove the engine cover of GS430.
Old 03-15-01, 06:15 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

When purchasing car parts, I tend to use cash to seek some advantages as GlobeCLK mentioned. [cough cough wink wink]

hahahahaha ok
Yeah it'll be real nice to save 100 for shipping. But hey, EL Monte is only miles away. No shipping either! (But gas prices are high........... sigh~)

Haha, yea cash can come in handy [smile smile, eyebrow twitch eyebrow twitch, wink wink heh heh cough cough right right caching caching]