Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

a 5x 112 rim onto a 5x114.3 pcd car question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-10, 02:06 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default a 5x 112 rim onto a 5x114.3 pcd car question

Ok so as the title suggest i want to find a way to fit a set of brabus wheels w pcd of 5 x 112 onto my IS which is a 5x114.3

The two options im aware of are finding an adapter/spacer thingy, but ive heard only bad things of that
or
Filling out the current holes and Redrilling.

So my questions is this. How safe is it to redrill? Can they bore it out the current bolt holes? or do they have to fill em and then redrill a new set of holes? Is this safe? or does the rim loose alot of its rigidity.

If my heart is set on these wheels, so is safer to find me a pair of replicas? or would redrilling the original wheels be good enough to never give me problems. I dont want the car to wobble either.

I know its prob easier and safer to go for rims w the correct pcd, but i LOVE these wheels and really want these wheels over anything else ive seen. I had a crush on these wheels for a while, and i think theyd suit the IS alot
Old 10-11-10, 02:29 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

you could have a dual 5x120/114.3 pcd drilled but some say its not as rigid.

people use wobble nuts but ive heard bad things about those.

running adapters is a the best way but smallest adapters ive seen are 20mm. so that might make it too aggressive.
Old 10-11-10, 02:39 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
you could have a dual 5x120/114.3 pcd drilled but some say its not as rigid.

people use wobble nuts but ive heard bad things about those.

running adapters is a the best way but smallest adapters ive seen are 20mm. so that might make it too aggressive.
thanks Licelsior

But Im a bit confused? i thought apaters would be like spacers, except w the new studs of the spacer in the new pcd pattern. or something like that

and i also thought when people referred to wobble nuts they were talkin about adapters, but made the car wobble and hence the name wobble nuts

clearly im a n00b at this,
Old 10-11-10, 03:10 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

yea thats what the adapters are.

iirc, wobble bolts basically thread on but they are offseted so it fits into the wheels lug hole.
Old 10-11-10, 03:14 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

I had some MRRs redrilled from 5x112 to 5x114, which is only 2mm, done by MRR when I bought them new and I never had problems. I suggest finding a quality, reputable wheel shop to do it.
The following users liked this post:
mahtogje (07-09-20)
Old 10-11-10, 03:41 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
yea thats what the adapters are.

iirc, wobble bolts basically thread on but they are offseted so it fits into the wheels lug hole.
thanks, oh so the 20mm u were referring to was just the spacer size of the adapter?

Originally Posted by mex lex
I had some MRRs redrilled from 5x112 to 5x114, which is only 2mm, done by MRR when I bought them new and I never had problems. I suggest finding a quality, reputable wheel shop to do it.
hmmm, no reputable wheels shops here, or rather none id trust anyway. What other companies, metal work shops would have the precision instruments to carry out the task of redrilling holes into my wheels?
Old 10-11-10, 04:17 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

unless the wheels were free and there is zero resale value, you are most likely better off selling and buying the proper wheel...

finding someone and ensuring that it is safe to do with that wheel may be near impossible...
Old 10-12-10, 07:23 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
unless the wheels were free and there is zero resale value, you are most likely better off selling and buying the proper wheel...

finding someone and ensuring that it is safe to do with that wheel may be near impossible...
forget the costs involved and the resale value of the wheel

if i were to redrill, that would be safer than just attaching the wheels and gettings hubcentric rings and calling it a day? from what ive read lots of people have put 5x112 rims on their cars w aftermarket lugs and spignot rings and seem to be running the wheels fine no problems
Old 10-12-10, 10:22 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would use adapters/spacers. As LiCelsior has mentioned, 20mm is the smallest size you can install. They might push your wheels out too much.
Old 10-12-10, 11:41 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Interesting, look at what i found out,
5x112 Wheels will fit 5x114.3 applications...heres how!
Current mood: optimistic
Category: Automotive

OK...as most of you may know. Hartmann Wheels and Achtuning specialize in Volkswagen and Audi applications. Also, as some of you may know the bolt pattens on a majority of Audi/VW and Mercedes Benz vehicles have a 5x112 bolt pattern. The 5x114.3 bolt pattern is commonly found on Japanese manufactured vehicles such as Honda/Acura, Nissan/Infiniti and Toyota/Lexus. These steps will show you how to fit the 5x112 wheels to youre 5x114.3 application!!!

1. Make sure that the wheels you are fitting to your car have a center bore that is larger than the hub size on your vehicle.

2. Double check the offset of the wheels and whether the calipers on the car will not hit the back of the wheel when bolted up.

3. Purchase hub rings that will go inside the wheel and fill the gap between the wheels hub diameter and hub on the car. These can be purchased places or machined for a custom fit depending on the sizes.

4. Lastly, purchase CENTERING LUG NUTS. These lug nuts have a floating cone seat on them that will allow for the proper pressure to be put on the wheel in the correct spot because the bolt patterns are offset just a bit.

5. Lock everything down, make sure you have tires on the wheels, air in them and take it out on the town!!!

This all came about because a few employees here have a Toyota truck and Lexus...both 5x114.3 and one is running 5x112 wheels and the other will be soon! Also, this will increase the options that are available to either car community and could provide that DIFFERENT look that everybody wants for their vehicle. Keep it in mind when you are looking for wheels next. You just might not be out of luck!!!! Take care.

H_A

Read more: http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...#ixzz12Afme1Ct
This is from the Harmann Achtung blog on myspace
Old 10-12-10, 01:58 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

^ interesting....

I know the difference isn't huge as-is, but my impression was always 5x112 =/= 5x114.3
In the sense that us Toyota/Lexus guys can't run them, since we have studs on our cars, while Wobble bolts just give the Euro guys all the love since they can just bolt a 5x114.3 wheel up.

I've seen the wobble nuts before, but like i said, i thought the studs we're the biggest constriction.
Old 10-12-10, 02:42 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ndk83
forget the costs involved and the resale value of the wheel

if i were to redrill, that would be safer than just attaching the wheels and gettings hubcentric rings and calling it a day? from what ive read lots of people have put 5x112 rims on their cars w aftermarket lugs and spignot rings and seem to be running the wheels fine no problems
lots of people run them no problem... its the ones that do have problems and people end up dead because of it...

just imagine you doing this, which is generally unacceptable, especially when you are considering that you are changing the design of the vehicle dramatically, and then you go out, drive around, a wheel comes off (whether not attached right, or a failure of the hardware), and the wheel bounces a couple times before going through the windshield of an oncoming vehicle instantly killing the driver...

had it just been an install error, probably not gonna go to jail, but if it could be ruled as negligent, probably going to jail...
Old 10-13-10, 01:21 PM
AznRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

All you need are some correct size hub rings and wobble lug nuts and you'll be fine. Im currently using 5x112 wheels on my ls430 without any problem.

this is where i bought my wobble lug nuts from just give them a call to see if they still carry them.
http://www.raderwerks.com/

also these people carry them too
http://www.lakeshorewheelandtire.com/store/index.php

Last edited by AznRacer; 10-13-10 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-14-10, 12:08 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AznRacer
All you need are some correct size hub rings and wobble lug nuts and you'll be fine. Im currently using 5x112 wheels on my ls430 without any problem.

this is where i bought my wobble lug nuts from just give them a call to see if they still carry them.
http://www.raderwerks.com/

also these people carry them too
http://www.lakeshorewheelandtire.com/store/index.php
Thanks man,

which ones did u get? pcd variation ones?

also where did u get ur hub ring from? for benz rims dont i need 66.67 - 60.06? those are hard to finfd, might have to go custom

Last edited by ndk83; 10-14-10 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-15-10, 07:29 AM
AznRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ndk83
Thanks man,

which ones did u get? pcd variation ones?

also where did u get ur hub ring from? for benz rims dont i need 66.67 - 60.06? those are hard to finfd, might have to go custom
Yes they are actually call variation lugs and i got my hub ring off ebay works perfect no problem whatsoever. So no need to get them custom made. Here's a link to the seller where i bought mine from.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Last edited by AznRacer; 10-15-10 at 08:45 AM.

Quick Reply: a 5x 112 rim onto a 5x114.3 pcd car question