Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Hankook Evo Ventus V12 Review:

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-10, 12:43 PM
Feirax
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott1258
Thanks for asking IS- SV Here's the update:
If you are thinking of going with this tire I would tell you to be cautious and look at alternatives carefully before jumping into this pond. I'm glad I got out alive!
Sorry to hear you're troubles. Did you happen to check your tire pressure? Can't always trust these tire installers to balance/align/torque lug nuts/or set tire pressure right, I usually double check and almost always have to make adjustments.
Old 09-06-10, 02:57 PM
brtnrdr1x
Pole Position

I have forgestar F14's on my RWD IS250MT..front is 19x8.5 and rear is 19x10. I wanted to go with a summer/sport tire with comfort, quietness w/ a sport feel in a price range that is ideal when i hit 1 of the million pot holes in NJ. I have the Hankook evo v12 and love them, they are great quality for the price as well. I'm running a 275/30/19 REAR I forget exactly what the front is..but these tires surprised me in how they ride. I was going to go for bridgestone potenza pole positions or michelin PS2's which are the (2) best which I would say from experience, but didn't want to spend the extra $$$..already had a flat and was mad about the $200 tire lol, if it was a PS2 $400 I think they were around over the summer...I would recommend them honestly. and very similar were the Kumho Ecsta's.
Old 09-06-10, 03:55 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Hankooks V12 was benchmarked with Michellins and was rated second best... That should be convincing..
Old 09-06-10, 07:45 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scott1258 - Thanks for the update and in-depth report. Sounds like they cooperated eventually.
Old 09-06-10, 10:53 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Feirax
Sorry to hear you're troubles. Did you happen to check your tire pressure? Can't always trust these tire installers to balance/align/torque lug nuts/or set tire pressure right, I usually double check and almost always have to make adjustments.
That's a really great question! The tire pressure after install was 35psi and I did check it. I bumped it up after a couple days to 40psi with no real differences in performance - it still rode about the same. These tires frankly scared the *#@* out of me a couple times and I knew it was time to take them back. The car has never felt stable since they were installed. I never had a bit of a hiccup out of the Toyo's - they were champs.

I really wanted to like this tire after all the positive reviews I had read. But for my car and wanting a performance tire it really lacked reguardless of what any of the magazine reviews have said. For me, the Toyo 4's were a much better performing tires hands down. It would eat the v12's in an instant. The v12's are more comfortable for sure - more of a touring tire feel. It all depends on what you are wanting out of your car and how you have it set up and drive it. I like to take turns enthusiasticly but safely and these tires do not give me either. For a completely stock car they may do well, or for a car with large wheels and little side wall.

That's the great thing about club lexus - we can all share our experiences and learn from each other. These are my experiences with this tire on 18" wheels with the car set up for a performance type ride with front and rear strut tower braces, Dazien sways front and rear, Tom's 6 piece kit, Daizen front bushings, Tein CS coils, and front RCS's. I think these tires are just not up to a big heavy sedan with the suspension mods I'm running - YMMV
Old 09-07-10, 07:20 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I now have about 2000 miles on the Hankook V12's on my stock Mercedes C300 Sport with 17 OEM rims, handling is firm at 3 pounds over factory-recommended tire pressures. I've cornered them hard a few times with good control. They are a bit firming riding than the OEM Michlen all-season tires that came with the car originally, the difference is small. So far the tires have performed very well on the Mercedes, very satisfied.

For comparision I have 19" T1R's on my Lexus IS350 (about 10K miles on them). The ride is obviously firmer and handling crisper due to 35/30 series profile front/back. The T1R's are slightly louder at highway speeds. I run them 2 pounds over factory recommended pressures.
Old 09-11-10, 03:10 AM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

I roll with about 45 psi in my S.drives and felt it firmed it up. I have had them at 35 psi after getting them balanced as the guy just set it there and it felt like I was driving on an air mattress.
Old 09-11-10, 07:00 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

As a follow up: Since the V12's were replaced with the T1R's all the problems I was having with the V12's just went away. The car is stable, secure, and feels great with the Toyo's. It's almost a night and day difference.

The T1R's feel very similar to the Proxis 4's - except they roll smoother and are quieter. It's almost like they took the T1R and wrapped it in an all season tread design with maybe a little difference in the rubber compond as the T1R's are a 280 AA tire and the 4's are a 300 AA tire.
Old 09-11-10, 09:28 PM
greyhndfan
Lead Lap

Great feedback Scott, sorry to hear you went thru all that. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on my set of V12s. I've had them so far fo 1500 miles. I am running 20's.. 275/30 and 245/35. I have a 2006 GS300 so I treat my ride like a touring vehicle. I like the quiteness of these tires and the ride is smooth. I haven't tested them yet on wet surface since it hardly rains here in San Diego.. So far I am pleased with these tires.
Old 09-11-10, 10:30 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott1258
As a follow up: Since the V12's were replaced with the T1R's all the problems I was having with the V12's just went away. The car is stable, secure, and feels great with the Toyo's. It's almost a night and day difference.

The T1R's feel very similar to the Proxis 4's - except they roll smoother and are quieter. It's almost like they took the T1R and wrapped it in an all season tread design with maybe a little difference in the rubber compond as the T1R's are a 280 AA tire and the 4's are a 300 AA tire.
Glad to hear you found a set of tires more compatible with your cars setup and your driving style.

The V12's are still working out great for me. Still quiet, smooth, and competent through the corners. They seem to be wearing pretty slow too. They are easily the best tire I have owned when it comes to overall performance for the dollar.
Old 10-21-10, 08:15 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had the V12's on my GS400 for 6k miles and must say that they are just what I wanted in a tire. They are quiet, wearing well, great in rain, and grip the road very well. I have them on OEM 17'" wheels with very minor suspension mods. They are definitely a soft sidewall for a high performance tire but that is perfect for me. If I wanted a car to push hard all the time in curves where this becomes more apparent, I would not be driving a big heavy fast cruiser. Just for the record I run these tires between 34-36 psi. IMO putting more than 10-15% psi than what is recommended for your model vehicle based on your tire size and vehicle weight will rarely get you optimum overall tire performance results.
Old 10-21-10, 11:25 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I have not driven in rain yet.
Old 11-24-10, 04:07 PM
greyhndfan
Lead Lap

*I have had these tires now for 5000 miles.
*Staggered set 245/35/20 and 275/30/20
*On 2006 GS300 stock suspension
*Location, SoCal - San Diego

So far I enjoy these tires. These are the first set of tires I've had on so I can't compare to other brands. My initial impressions are that these tires are quiet and hold their traction pretty well. The tread still looks new after 5000 miles, wear on them looks nice and even.

I've been caught in several storms already and these tires do grip the wet roads with ease. I'm really happy with these tires' performance thus far.
Old 04-06-11, 02:35 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

We have been having record setting rain here in San Jose. Unlike last year I did not switch back to the OE 17's for the winter or park the Lexus and drive my SUV. These tires did not disappoint. I continue to be a satisfied customer and will definitely run another set. Wear is amazing compared to the Generals they replaced. They are quiet enough for a directional low profile tire. Overall I am happy with them.
Old 04-06-11, 04:16 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

im on staggered with those tires on too. i hope for even wear like you guys are stating.

Im on coilovers with zero gap btw.

Last edited by GS4_Fiend; 04-06-11 at 04:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Hankook Evo Ventus V12 Review: