Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Good Quality Tires for size 245/35/20

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-10, 02:33 PM
dbaby22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Quality Tires for size 245/35/20

Hey Guys,

I was just wondering what are some good quality tires that I can wrap my dubs in? My two rear tires are starting to bald pretty bad and I am currently running NEXEN 3000's on all fours. But I wanted to experiment with other brands out there that might be actually better than what I have now. Please help a fellow member out.
Thanks!
Old 06-22-10, 04:57 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Nitto INVO!

had em on my car.. put about 25k miles n it showed maybe 50% treadwear. i drive my car hard too occasionally or at least corner hard (the silver one pictured below)
Old 06-22-10, 05:41 PM
ZinikLex21
Rookie

If you're lowered and are prone to camber wear, i'd stay away from asymmetrical tires and get Directional. Reason being, when your inner edge wears out, you can flip the tires and have fresh tread. Asymmetrical tires only allow you to mount them one way.

If you're not looking to spend a lot of money, the General UHP is a good tire for the money. If you want a tire with a mileage warranty, i'd look into the Continental DWS or the Bridgestone RE960AS PP. They are both all-season tires with 40,000+ mileage warranties, although they aren't "Cheap"

Other good directional tires that wont break the bank are Hankook Ventus V4S, Nitto555, Yokohama S-Drives
Old 06-23-10, 09:52 AM
dbaby22
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to both of you guys for your responses! It's greatly appreciated

ZinikLex21: my car is not lowered so what tires would you suggest now for my dubs? Can I still choose from the tires that you mentioned above or will I need to find other choices?

Last edited by dbaby22; 06-23-10 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-23-10, 02:58 PM
Rezaxxed
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ZinikLex21
If you're lowered and are prone to camber wear, i'd stay away from asymmetrical tires and get Directional. Reason being, when your inner edge wears out, you can flip the tires and have fresh tread. Asymmetrical tires only allow you to mount them one way.

If you're not looking to spend a lot of money, the General UHP is a good tire for the money. If you want a tire with a mileage warranty, i'd look into the Continental DWS or the Bridgestone RE960AS PP. They are both all-season tires with 40,000+ mileage warranties, although they aren't "Cheap"

Other good directional tires that wont break the bank are Hankook Ventus V4S, Nitto555, Yokohama S-Drives
WoW...Great info. Would you be able to flip Falken FK452s??? My car is lowered and i'm prone to camber wear. Don't mean to thread jack but this is good information!!!
Old 06-23-10, 06:25 PM
ZinikLex21
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rezaxxed
WoW...Great info. Would you be able to flip Falken FK452s??? My car is lowered and i'm prone to camber wear. Don't mean to thread jack but this is good information!!!
Yes, Falken 452's are directional tires and can be flipped. The only Falken i can think of that isn't directional is the RT-615
Old 06-23-10, 06:26 PM
ZinikLex21
Rookie

Originally Posted by dbaby22
Thanks to both of you guys for your responses! It's greatly appreciated

ZinikLex21: my car is not lowered so what tires would you suggest now for my dubs? Can I still choose from the tires that you mentioned above or will I need to find other choices?
Any of the tires i mentioned above are good tires. It all depends on how much you want to spend. What is your price range for 2/4 tires installed?
Old 10-13-11, 09:28 AM
larryhirs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ZinikLex21

This is a little backwards. Directional tires can only rotate front to back. Just went through this exercise on my GS350. Only got 25K out of directional tires with extreme inside wear. Tires featuring asymmetric tread patterns allow using multiple tire rotation patterns.

From tirerack.com

Also called tire tread designs, tire tread patterns are the arrangement of continuous ribs, independent tread blocks, circumferential and lateral grooves, as well as the thin sipes molded into the tread to fine-tune noise, handling, traction and wear. Tire treads patterns feature different basic designs to help them meet anticipated driving conditions.

Symmetric Tread Patterns
A symmetric tread pattern is the most common and features continuous ribs or independent tread blocks across the entire tread face where both inboard and outboard halves feature the same pattern. Tires featuring symmetric tread patterns allow using multiple tire rotation patterns.

Asymmetric Tread Patterns
An asymmetric pattern is designed to blend the requirements of dry grip and water dispersal/snow traction where the tread pattern changes across the face of the tire. An asymmetric tread pattern usually incorporates larger tread ribs/blocks on the outboard side to increase cornering stability on dry roads by offering greater contact area. This also helps to reduce tread squirm and heat buildup on the outside shoulder. The inboard side usually features smaller independent tread blocks to aid wet and/or winter traction when driving straight ahead. Tires featuring asymmetric tread patterns allow using multiple tire rotation patterns.

Directional (Unidirectional) Tread Patterns
A directional (also called a unidirectional) tread pattern is designed to roll in only one direction. It incorporates lateral grooves on both sides of the tire’s centerline that point in the same direction and result in v-shaped tread blocks. These grooves enhance hydroplaning resistance at high speeds by pumping water more efficiently through the tread pattern. Unless they are dismounted and remounted on their wheels to accommodate use on the other side of the vehicle, directional tires are to be used on one side of the vehicle and are intended to be rotated from the front axle to the rear axle. If different tire sizes are used on the front vs. rear axle, the tires become location-specific and prohibit tire rotation unless remounted.

Asymmetric and Directional Tread Patterns
Asymmetric and directional tread patterns have v-shaped tread grooves that are offset compared to the centerline of the tire. Tires featuring asymmetric and directional tread patterns must be treated as directional tires for tire rotation. However, if different tire sizes are used on the front vs. rear axle, they become location-specific and prohibit any tire rotation possibilities.

Last edited by larryhirs; 10-13-11 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-13-11, 10:00 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by larryhirs
This is a little backwards. Directional tires can only rotate front to back. Just went through this exercise on my GS350. Only got 25K out of directional tires with extreme inside wear. Tires featuring asymmetric tread patterns allow using multiple tire rotation patterns.
What he was suggesting is that the directional tires can be dismounted from the rims and 'flipped,' so the inside edge is now on the outside edge. This means the right side tires end-up on the left side of the car (and vice-versa), rotating the correct direction. There is some expense to doing this since you have to dismount and re-mount & balance the tires.

One thing to be careful with - do not wait until the inside edges are totally wiped-out; most shops won't dismount & remount tires if they have gone through the first layer of rubber or if any cord or belt is showing.
Old 10-13-11, 11:55 AM
zig@tr
Former Sponsor

larryhirs,

What I think he is saying is to have the tires dismounted from the wheels and swapped left to right. In this case the tires still spin in the right direction but the outside shoulder now becomes the inside shoulder and vice-versa. If you are running lots of negative camber in the inside edges of the tires wear down quickly, you can dismount the tires and have them remounted on the adjacent will, thus both worn edges will now be on the outside.
Old 10-13-11, 12:08 PM
zig@tr
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dbaby22
Hey Guys,

I was just wondering what are some good quality tires that I can wrap my dubs in? My two rear tires are starting to bald pretty bad and I am currently running NEXEN 3000's on all fours. But I wanted to experiment with other brands out there that might be actually better than what I have now. Please help a fellow member out.
Thanks!
The Hankook Ventus V12 Evo is a good tire for the money, they have an $80 rebate until 11/30/11.

Hankook Ventus V12 Evo

Last edited by zig@tr; 10-13-11 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-24-11, 09:52 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have Nitto Invo and Hankook V12 on 2 cars and have been happy with both, with a slight edge to the Hankook.

I run 245/30/20 and 295/25/20 on the Invo; 245/35/20 and 285/30/20 on the V12.