Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Riken Raptor ZR

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-10, 01:37 PM
dhuston99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riken Raptor ZR

Anybody have any info on these tires? Needing to replace the stock primacy hp's pretty soon. Looking for good value since i put 30k miles a year on my GS but also wanting a pretty quiet tire. Would love to have the Cont DWS but cant find it ANYWHERE!
Old 05-11-10, 01:45 PM
ReyRey305
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dhuston99
Anybody have any info on these tires? Needing to replace the stock primacy hp's pretty soon. Looking for good value since i put 30k miles a year on my GS but also wanting a pretty quiet tire. Would love to have the Cont DWS but cant find it ANYWHERE!
I just bought (4) Conti DWS and I love them ! Seriously, they are really great tire for the price, and the 50,000 mile warranty I got them at south dade tire in Miami... $120 a piece and they shipped them the next day, only because my job buys tires from them. They might have some in stock if you want to try them out ?
Old 05-11-10, 02:44 PM
dhuston99
Driver School Candidate

I googled South Dade Tire and I get South Dade Automotive but it says wholesale tire exporter. Is that who you bought from? Do they sell to public? Do you have a number or someone you dealt with there? Thanks for the help. Hoping that they have some DWS!!!!!
Old 05-11-10, 03:02 PM
kene
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have them and they are a great tire for the price(92$...235/55?/16). just bought a new pair to complete my tire set 4 weeks ago. I already got a nail and did not realize until I got home the tire had < 10psi. I was impressed that stiff side wall made it 20 miles @ 75-80mph with such little pressure. On the car close inspection you could see a bit of a difference between the tire w/ the nail and the normal one, but the sidewall still held up. For an all out performance tire that sticks to the road I give it an 8.5(on stock sloppy susp.). It is definitely not a Bridgestone S03 or S02, but It is a good tire for the price. Hell I have fun with it.

I own a 94 GS300.
Old 05-11-10, 06:10 PM
ReyRey305
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dhuston99
I googled South Dade Tire and I get South Dade Automotive but it says wholesale tire exporter. Is that who you bought from? Do they sell to public? Do you have a number or someone you dealt with there? Thanks for the help. Hoping that they have some DWS!!!!!
Yes that is correct. That is their website South Dade Automotive. They have their contact on their website. Tell them The Collection (in Coral Gables) refered you and see what price they give you.
Old 05-12-10, 08:06 AM
LexFather

I've used them and used them on the track. From my understanding they are some Michelin design they canned. Dry traction is okay as is the wet but not class leading or anything. I don't like how they sometimes drift over high speeds if you hit something on the highway.

Overall it is a cheap tire and its not bad but not great either. If you need a cheap set they will do but don't expect your GS to drive/ride/handle fantastic with them.
Old 05-12-10, 09:06 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I recently ran these tires temporarily and I hated them. On the highway, they are somewhat sensitive to the crowns on the road. I sometimes had to fight the steering to keep it going straight. Haven't tested them in the wet but the dry was okay, like most tires. Overall I'm not impressed with these especially with the somewhat loud road noise. Then again I came from Bridgestone and Michelin tires so maybe I'm a bit spoiled.

For those who commute back and forth and don't really want to spend much then these tires are alright. At least they're better than bald tires
Old 05-12-10, 09:16 AM
dhuston99
Driver School Candidate

ReyRey-
South Dade didn't have them but thanks for the help! They quoted me 190 a piece so looks like you got a killer deal! Now I just hope my stocks will make a few more miles till I can find some DWS somewhere! Still thinking about the Rikens though.