Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Beach driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-10, 06:28 PM
TGRaboo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beach driving

Recently replaced my FJ Cruiser w/ a 2006 GX470. The FJ was excellent in the soft and deep sand of the NC Outer banks w/ OEM tires. Never had to lower air pressure and never got stuck.
I am close to replacing the tires on the GX and have plans for a couple surf fishing trips this summer.
What tires would you recommend? Other than the beach driving, the rest of my driving is on pavement.
Thanks for the help
Old 01-21-10, 06:53 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

what type of sand and conditions are we talking about???

the GX is probably a little heavier than the FJ, but I believe it has just as capable of a 4WD system... (its built on the same chassis) For the most part, you just want a decent all terrain tire - that will take care of most sandy beaches, and won't compromise too much ride quality...

the best riding all terrain tire I've ever driven on is the Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO... There may be all terrain tires with equivalent or slightly better off road performance, but by far, none come even somewhat close to the A/T REVO on the pavement, except the Michelin LTX A/T2... Either of these tires would be perfect for your needs... for the most part though, the vehicle is more of a determining factor than the tires... if you are getting yourself somewhere that a difference in tires would make the difference between stuck and not, you need to have a backup plan to get un stuck...

for instance - Jeep with locking diffs can go anywhere with a street tire... Chevy Trucks with standard 4wd (open diffs) get stuck all the time that are lifted and huge all-terrain and mud terrain tires... the vehicle makes the bigger difference - the GX is pretty competent...
Old 01-21-10, 08:03 PM
TGRaboo
Driver School Candidate

The sand on the Outer Banks of NC is very soft and deep, quite the opposite of Daytona Beach. Ironically, bald tires w/ very low pressure are what are recommended for beach driving as the intent is to float on top of the sand rather than digging through it. I was guessing that Tire Rack or others who have driven in soft sand might have some good suggestions. I will take a hard look at your recommendations. I greatly appreciate it.

I am totally confident that the GX will do perfectly fine on the beach. I'm quite anxious for winter to be over and to get out there in nature.
Old 01-22-10, 03:49 PM
Sltwtrking
Driver

With ride quality in mind, I would take a look at the BFG Long Trail T/A Tour.
Old 01-31-10, 06:44 PM
NC244GLT
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a set of Revo's on my '02 Rodeo sport and the were excellent for wear, offroad (Uwharrie), beach (Fort Fisher), lots of snow (Cleveland, Oh rpior to NC) and road use (freeway daily 30 miles R/T). These were very good tires and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase them again if I had an SUV still. When I picked these, I went purely off the comments on Tire Rack's site, as the previous reply suggested. Hope this helps!