Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?
Old 12-15-14, 03:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

leaking tire bead

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-10, 08:25 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default leaking tire bead

I have a leak in one of my tires and after dunking it, determined the leak to be coming from the tire bead. No work has been done on my wheels or tires since I purchased the tires back in July. I didn't hit a pot hole lately and the rim doesn't look bent in that area. Does anyone know what would cause the bead to suddenly start leaking? Also, any fix for it? Would simply re-seating the tire fix it? I heard using bead sealant is just a temporary fix too... is that correct? What should I do?
Old 01-13-10, 11:26 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
I have a leak in one of my tires and after dunking it, determined the leak to be coming from the tire bead. No work has been done on my wheels or tires since I purchased the tires back in July. I didn't hit a pot hole lately and the rim doesn't look bent in that area. Does anyone know what would cause the bead to suddenly start leaking? Also, any fix for it? Would simply re-seating the tire fix it? I heard using bead sealant is just a temporary fix too... is that correct? What should I do?
Go back to the place that mounted the tire either the rim needs to be cleaned where the bead seats or it needs to be roughed up so the bead can "bite" the rim enough to seal. Bead sealer helps too. They shouldn't charge you for seating the tire on the wheel or rebalancing it.
Old 01-13-10, 05:07 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

chrome wheel???
Old 01-13-10, 06:52 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
chrome wheel???
not chrome. they're 19" iforged wheels with a polished lip. not sure if it will help but the tire is a sumitomo htrzIII 255/35/19 stretched on a 19x10 rim.
Old 01-13-10, 11:46 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

interesting... most of the time, when that happens, its because its chrome, or the tire is damaged...

the only way to know truly what is going on is to take it to a tire shop and have the bead popped off the wheel for inspection... depending on the wheel, you can sometimes do this at home just by deflating the tire, but you probably won't get it reinflated with just a normal air compressor - getting the bead of the tire to seat again is quite hard without a large volume of air...

either way, you need to check it out - it might be a torn bead that is just finally showing up, or who knows... clean it, bead seal it, be done with it... bead sealer is not a fix all, but it should work in this situation... because your tires are stretched, you might have a little bit of corrosion going on in there... (not stretched tires don't really let the water sit in there at all)
Old 01-14-10, 12:15 PM
freelandrj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had problems the last month with my tires leaking around the rims. I have a Lexus GS300 (2006) and had new tires put on about a year ago. The tires are an Avenger touring LSR SL BW 94V TL, if that helps. The place that I bought the tires from said it's the metal rim causing the problem. Any ideas??? It's happened 3 times now, the last time on a long trip to FL. It seems to happen when they get cold. (after sitting over night in the garage, or another time I had traveled 11 hours one day, and the next morning low tires.) ANy help would be greatly appreciated. I paid a bundle for these tires. I'd like to have piece of mind when I travel.