Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Snow Tires?

Old 11-30-09, 05:09 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts
Question Snow Tires?

Just taking a basic census here, but who here has, or plans to put on their snow tires? Whether on alloy rims or steelies like myself. I just put em on myself, took about 45 minutes and will say i love the look with no hub caps haha. Or if you are a unfortunate person who lives where there is no snow, you can say so to haha
Old 11-30-09, 06:28 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just bought a set of blizzak lm-25's off of tire rack today. here in chicago you'd be stupid drive a rwd car w/o them.
Old 11-30-09, 07:30 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've put them on over a month ago... think it's about 2 months now. lol
Old 11-30-09, 08:18 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Dedicated winter tires do make all the difference in the world, yet about 90% (literally) of Americans don't install them on there cars (not sure if that % includes the south where they aren't necessary).

A common misconception is that winter tires are just for snow. In fact, it provides much better traction on dry pavement in temps below 45 degrees where all-seasons and of course summer tires harden up and lesson their traction capability. Only winter tires are made of a special rubber compound that stays soft and flexible in cold temperatures. This compound also sticks to ice.

In Germany and other parts of Europe, winter tires are required by law. That's how important they are.

Over 50% of all accidents each year in the US are in winter conditions. If everyone installed winter tires, that number would greatly decrease.

Cost cannot be used as an excuse. Remember, you're only wearing out one set of tires at a time. Putting on snows simply extends the life of your all-season/summer tires.

Old 11-30-09, 09:21 PM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Cost isn't a factor for me...space is.

I live in a condo...with a parking space (not a garage). I literally have no place to store an extra 4 tires/rims.
Old 11-30-09, 09:42 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by Habious
Cost isn't a factor for me...space is.

I live in a condo...with a parking space (not a garage). I literally have no place to store an extra 4 tires/rims.
Most dealerships or even tire shops will store the tires for you for like $40 max for the whole winter.
Old 11-30-09, 09:49 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Well you still have options, condos come with storage space's you could use that, you can also rent a storage place for $10 a month or you can go to this guy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0gb9v4LI4o (nws) and eat at his restaurant http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPkMUU9tUqk (nws)
Old 12-01-09, 06:12 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CHI2BFLO
Just taking a basic census here, but who here has, or plans to put on their snow tires? Whether on alloy rims or steelies like myself. I just put em on myself, took about 45 minutes and will say i love the look with no hub caps haha. Or if you are a unfortunate person who lives where there is no snow, you can say so to haha
I've never used snow tires on any of my vehicles. All season tires have done the job for me for many years.. Good luck this winter bud as we are really going to get it in early 2010.
Old 12-01-09, 06:27 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Good luck this winter bud as we are really going to get it in early 2010.
I've heard that the Northeast will have much more snow than last year. This is going to sound weird but I want a good amount of snow to fall. I have brand new snow tires sitting in my garage I bought last year that I've never used because of the very light snowfall last winter.
Old 12-01-09, 11:14 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Most people don't seem to realize that their all-season compound tires are virtually useless below 7 degrees Celsius, and basically as hard as concrete below -4 degrees Celsius. Whether there is snow or not matters very little... driving in all-season tires during freezing temperatures is very dangerous, not only for you, but for the other motorists on the road. Here, winter compound tires are law, and you must have them from mid-December to mid-March. Regardless, it would be considered irresponsible to drive around without them around here even if we don't get any snow at all.
Old 12-01-09, 01:41 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I've never used snow tires on any of my vehicles. All season tires have done the job for me for many years.. Good luck this winter bud as we are really going to get it in early 2010.
Thank, it is my first year of driving in snow, to be honest, today was the first time i have ever driven the roads by myself with snow, i just got my license this year, the way the car handles with the snow tires is so difference and when driving on snow, the lack of grip is almost amazing haha
Old 12-21-09, 01:33 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I just received these Bridgestone LM-60 tires last week. Bought them from Tirerack, as well as four OEM take-offs out of Phoenix from Ebay, and TPMS sensors from one of our members here. Haven't slapped them on yet, and won't until the weather dictates it. We don't get much snow in Vancouver, but I plan to use them to go inland for the occasional ski trip. Strangely enough, I'm praying for snow this year.
Attached Thumbnails Snow Tires?-img_5775.jpg   Snow Tires?-img_5774.jpg  
Old 11-28-10, 09:58 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Almost a year later, i am looking for snow tires again. I am either getting blizzak ws70's, some sort of kumho sow tire, or if i can find some at a decent price ws60's. Last year i drove round on michelin alpine artcs and after 10k miles during the winter months last year, they are now basically all worn out
Old 11-28-10, 11:35 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you should get conti extremewintercontacts. highly rated on tirerack.

they didn't have my size in stock, so i went with michelin xi2's
Old 11-29-10, 11:59 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

^I just ordered blizzak ws-70's for $473 mounted so i figure its a good deal, anything is better then the yokohamas i have now which even brand new, aren't that great

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Snow Tires?