Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Nitrogen

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-09, 03:16 PM
JAXLS460
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Nitrogen

Anybody here have nitrogen in their tires? If you do when you had it done did the psi you asked for it to be set at match the read out in the car? The reason I ask is I set the psi to 38, but the car reads 40.
Old 10-18-09, 12:42 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

its just a difference in the accuracy of the gauges / sensors...

nitrogen does not do anything different, especially in that aspect...
Old 10-18-09, 05:11 PM
JAXLS460
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
its just a difference in the accuracy of the gauges / sensors...

nitrogen does not do anything different, especially in that aspect...
Nitrogen is actually more dense than oxygen and does not flucuate as much. What I was asking is if anyone noticed that when using nitrogen if the read out in th car is different that what you set the nitrogen machine to.
Old 10-18-09, 05:20 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by JAXLS460
Nitrogen is actually more dense than oxygen and does not flucuate as much. What I was asking is if anyone noticed that when using nitrogen if the read out in th car is different that what you set the nitrogen machine to.
trust me, I know all about nitrogen... That used to be my life (tires, wheels, service, etc)

if the nitrogen machine said 38 and your car says 40, then one of the two gauges is incorrect, period...

nitrogen - inert gas, doesn't respond to temperature changes like air does, so on and so forth... makes up 79% of air anyways... keep in mind, there is no way to get 100% nitrogen in the tire, so, it'll still fluctuate some, and it'll still lose pressure over time, just not as fast as air does...

IMO, not worth any extra money spent on it unless you need precise control over tire pressures at the track...most tire failures are due to leaks, not the air that comes out over time naturally... unfortunately nitrogen still leaks when there is a nail or other puncture...

Last edited by mitsuguy; 10-18-09 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-18-09, 05:50 PM
JAXLS460
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
trust me, I know all about nitrogen... That used to be my life (tires, wheels, service, etc)

if the nitrogen machine said 38 and your car says 40, then one of the two gauges is incorrect, period...

nitrogen - inert gas, doesn't respond to temperature changes like air does, so on and so forth... makes up 79% of air anyways... keep in mind, there is no way to get 100% nitrogen in the tire, so, it'll still fluctuate some, and it'll still lose pressure over time, just not as fast as air does...

IMO, not worth any extra money spent on it unless you need precise control over tire pressures at the track...most tire failures are due to leaks, not the air that comes out over time naturally... unfortunately nitrogen still leaks when there is a nail or other puncture...
I already know what you are saying about nitrogen I work in a service department at a dealership. I am asking if anybody notices a difference in what their Lexus reads. I am asking based personal experience with their car not an opinion. I have seen several Acuras using nitrogen and at cold psi the machine will match the car.
Old 10-18-09, 06:01 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

oh man, I have seen hundreds, if not thousands of cars with onboard tpms that shows the tire pressure... almost NEVER does the onboard system say exactly what the tire pressure gauge used to fill the tire says... every once in a while, yes... the gauges are not meant to be precision devices... that's why in SCUBA, it's always a good idea to not try and empty a tank - the gauge is most likely not 100% accurate, and empty may truly be closer to 100-200 psi on the gauge, or maybe when full, it might be off as well...

if you really want to know the difference between what is being displayed on your dash versus the true tire pressure, buy one of these: http://www.longacreracing.com/catalo...d=1168&catid=8