Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?
Old 12-15-14, 03:16 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

Mounting tires on expensive wheels....how to?

Old 04-26-02, 12:34 PM
pot_head
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting tires on expensive wheels....how to?

hi. is theres a special procedure one must follow when mounting tires on expensive chrome wheels? can i take it to the local SPEEDY BRAKE AND MUFFLER or MIDAS(dont know if they have a mounting machine) or one of those places to mount it? any quick suggestion? thanks.
Old 04-26-02, 04:45 PM
Wheel Kinetics
Pole Position

Default Re: Mounting tires on expensive wheels....how to?

Originally posted by pot_head
hi. is theres a special procedure one must follow when mounting tires on expensive chrome wheels? can i take it to the local SPEEDY BRAKE AND MUFFLER or MIDAS(dont know if they have a mounting machine) or one of those places to mount it? any quick suggestion? thanks.
ONLY USE A TOUCHLESS MOUNTING MACHINE! This is key. Most Discount Tires have such machines. Tell the manager how important the wheels' condition is to you and have them look the wheel over before hand. Explain to them very nicely that they are taking on a liability by mounting these and they should be done right... Also mention that if they don't want to take the liability, that you completely understand and will go else where. (and not hold it against them)

Inevitably, they will say yes because if they are careful, a touchless mounting machine will do a perfect job. Hunter is considered the industry's best, but others can work as well.
Old 04-26-02, 06:36 PM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Dennis...

When using the "touchless" tire machine at Discount, I have personally witnessed clear being taken off the outer lip of a wheel.

I read on CL somewhere that someone put towels on the machine and then put the face of the wheel downwards. Usually they do the opposite...does this sound like a good idea?

Thanx.

Ryan
Old 04-26-02, 06:47 PM
Wheel Kinetics
Pole Position

Originally posted by AgGS400
Hey Dennis...

When using the "touchless" tire machine at Discount, I have personally witnessed clear being taken off the outer lip of a wheel.

I read on CL somewhere that someone put towels on the machine and then put the face of the wheel downwards. Usually they do the opposite...does this sound like a good idea?

Thanx.

Ryan
As I said, if they are careful and competent. I have personally witnessed Discount put two large slashes in my Blitz wheels.

The wheels sure be reversed mounted (car side up) and the pads the outer face (lip) its on should have rubber tabs.
Old 04-26-02, 08:38 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey P_H

hopefully you received your new wheels....simply call around few reputable shops in your area and ask them if they install 18/19s and larger tyres...make sure they have experience in this area..you certainly do not want to mess up that beautiful chromes that you like
Old 04-27-02, 02:38 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Wheel Kinetics

As I said, if they are careful and competent. I have personally witnessed Discount put two large slashes in my Blitz wheels.

The wheels sure be reversed mounted (car side up) and the pads the outer face (lip) its on should have rubber tabs.
Yup, and make sure YOU stand there on top of the whole process!!!!
One other thing, use towels to line the tabs (usually 4tabs, rubber or not) that hold the reverse lips. Then, make the operator close the clamps onto the reverse lips in a SLOW and controlled fashion so that you can be SURE the clamps are seating correctly onto the lips and that the towels are serving their purpose.....
I will say this about mounting though. The world of "Elite style" wheels has left the tire mounting/balancing/allignment equipment far behind!! There needs to be a machine invented and available at Discount, NTB, etc that is designed solely for large diameter, reverse lip, high dollar wheels. 19-20" and even larger diameters are far too common now for this not to evolve....
Old 04-27-02, 02:56 AM
pot_head
Driver

thanks for the tips guys. im sure this thread will help ppl out in the future.
Old 04-27-02, 08:36 AM
JacobT

Tiny,

Where did you have your tires mounted? Discount damaged one of my rim from fixing a flat. Two of the rubber were torn on the clamps and made some permenant damage on the edge of my polished lips
Old 04-27-02, 10:52 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

PH,

STAY AWAY FROM MIDAS AND SPEEDY for mounting of your wheels only bad can happen by going to either place.. Like gs4will said try to find a specialty shop that has dealt with large wheels before and you should be ok..

This would be a good thread to sticky I think..
Old 04-28-02, 02:50 AM
Wheel Kinetics
Pole Position

Originally posted by 2SAVVY
PH,

STAY AWAY FROM MIDAS AND SPEEDY for mounting of your wheels only bad can happen by going to either place.. Like gs4will said try to find a specialty shop that has dealt with large wheels before and you should be ok..

This would be a good thread to sticky I think..
I agree.

Go to shop you've delt with before and trust. I personally use a Discount Tire in my area, and you may be surprised to learn that even HRE uses Discount. Go with what makes you comfortable.
Old 04-29-02, 03:23 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by JacobT
Tiny,

Where did you have your tires mounted? Discount damaged one of my rim from fixing a flat. Two of the rubber were torn on the clamps and made some permenant damage on the edge of my polished lips
I went to an NTB here in Austin that is managed by a LONG time friend of mine. I participate in all aspects of the mounting. He is VERY cool and understanding because he has also had many sets of nice aftermarket wheels.
Jacob, its crucial to line the clamps with towels when mounting reverse lip. Dont rely on the rubber/plastic lining on the clamps. Mounting machines werent designed with reverse lips in mind. They are intended for regular style wheels where the mounting takes place with the "GOOD" side facing upwards.
Either way, on a regular style wheel, they are still in danger from the tool that is used to stretch the bead of the tire over the lip.....
You just have to be super careful, but with reverse lip, your rims shouldnt get damaged if the clamps are lined. My wheels came out PERFECTLY, and Im already scared about these tires wearing out and having to go through the mounting process again......
Old 04-30-02, 05:14 PM
chino78
Rookie

What's a good price to get 20's mounted and balanced?
Old 04-30-02, 08:00 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$50-$80...depends on geographical(sp?) location..