Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-09, 09:21 AM
pc1990
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires?

How to you know when your tires have to be absolutely changed? My delaership changed only front at 10k, and said at 15k they would change back. But the back seem to be really rough all of a sudden. Is this mean time for a change, or is there a way to manually measure treadwear at home?
Old 10-10-09, 10:19 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Do you have a tire warranty program??

You can purchase a tire tread guage and inspect tread depth on the tires yourself..

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 10-14-09 at 08:54 PM. Reason: removed h
Old 10-10-09, 10:20 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hit the wearbar!
Old 10-10-09, 10:38 AM
rutiger
Rookie

really? you're asking how to know when tires are worn? that's about the most basic of car maintenance items.

also, how do you go through these tires in 10k miles? i have 13k and mine have plenty of life.

last, the folks at your dealership are likely morons and/or lying crooks just like most employees at auto dealerships.
Old 10-10-09, 10:49 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rutiger
really? You're asking how to know when tires are worn? That's about the most basic of car maintenance items.

Also, how do you go through these tires in 10k miles? I have 13k and mine have plenty of life.

Last, the folks at your dealership are likely morons and/or lying crooks just like most employees at auto dealerships.
lol! I am at the wear bar on the rear tires and i only have 8k on them! i drive fast when i drive my car!

how often do u go through tires on the zo6?
Old 10-10-09, 10:59 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

I dont know if its me or what. Its really rare for a rwd car to be changing front tires before the rears!!!! Doesn't make sense to me how you need front tires at 10k and your rears can last till 15k, doesnt compute to me. you sure your dealer not pulling your leg? tires arent cheap at all. Unless you hit a pothole and have a bubble, otherwise I really dont see how you need fronts first..... I bet 9 out of 10 guys here need rear tires way before fronts
Old 10-10-09, 12:09 PM
MicaISF
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=rutiger;4915135]also, how do you go through these tires in 10k miles? i have 13k and mine have plenty of life.[/QUOTE

my s2000 gets a new set of rear tires every 8000 mi, my F has 6k mi now and i expect a new set is needed in another few thousand miles. most max performance summer tires don't last more than 10K when driver hard.
Old 10-10-09, 01:08 PM
kickhard
Pole Position

LOL wow you guys must be driving like crazy. I have replaced one rear tire on our ISF only because of a nail in a bad spot. We have over 20,000 miles on our stock tires now. Granted my wife drives the car most of the time
Old 10-10-09, 01:42 PM
pc1990
Pole Position

yeah I do have the tire warranty program, so I'm not really worried about shelling out the $900 for two tires. I only have to pay $50 per tire for labor. Plus, I drive it hard every time I step in it and its my daily driver! hahaha. Good to know that I wasn't the only one changing tires at 10k. But you guys going into the 20,000k mark, you guys bought the car for all the wrong reasons.

So theres no way of checking treadbar without purchasing the treadbar?

Thanks for your responses
Old 10-10-09, 01:48 PM
ni8done
Driver

Wait I paid $1000.00 for the Tire / Rim protection, but that only covers road hazards to the tire's, How did you get ur warranty to cover 2 tires under wear and tear?

Thanks
Old 10-10-09, 01:49 PM
kickhard
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pc1990
yeah I do have the tire warranty program, so I'm not really worried about shelling out the $900 for two tires. I only have to pay $50 per tire for labor. Plus, I drive it hard every time I step in it and its my daily driver! hahaha. Good to know that I wasn't the only one changing tires at 10k. But you guys going into the 20,000k mark, you guys bought the car for all the wrong reasons.

LOL nah we didnt buy it for all the wrong reaons its just that my wife really doesnt push it like I do
Old 10-10-09, 04:31 PM
rutiger
Rookie

Originally Posted by LEXUSF
how often do u go through tires on the zo6?
bought the car with 9k miles and the rears were done for. it's up to 22k miles now with tons of life left on them.

in general i only drive the cars hard when on back roads and away from traffic which is a bit hard to find that combo living in the seattle area. my jeep has 23k on the original tires still with plenty of life. anyone going through even summer tires in under 8k either tracks the car or drives like an *** all the time imo. i used to run r compound tires on my last z06 with 580rwhp and even those got more than 8k miles.

and like someone else here said how you go through the is f fronts in 10k before the rears is crazy. you either have them far from correct inflation or someone at the dealership/tireshop fooled you into believing they needed changing.
Old 10-11-09, 09:43 PM
pc1990
Pole Position

My tire and wheel warranty cost about $2500 with permaplate for interior and exterior. This gives me free tires for lifetime( 7 years here in CA) for normal wear and tear mind you. I can not take the car to a track and go through a set of tires and ask them to change them for me for free, of course. I know that not all Lexus dealerships offer this, its pretty much dependent on your particular deal. The warranty was totally worth it, because it'll pay for itself after another free tire change hahaha. Hope that helps.
Old 10-13-09, 09:54 PM
MicaISF
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pc1990

buying the special tool is not necessary. most tires have treadwear indicator built in. when the indicator is flush with the rest of the tread, then you know it's time to have your tires changed. Alternatively, you can use a penny to measure tread wear. place a penny up side down into the tread such that Lincoln's head is pointing towards the rubber. if you can see the top of Lincoln's head, then it's time to replace your tires. if the top of his head is covered by tread, then you still have enough tread left.
Old 10-13-09, 10:58 PM
Christan
Driver

Depends on how you drive but usually for normal non performance cars anywhere from 15-20k miles.

For Fs, Max should be 15k, otherwise change at 12k thats what id do, but all this also depends on the time of tires brand etc..

Quick Reply: Tires?