Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

What the hell are Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-02, 06:47 AM
TIKTIK11
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What the hell are Spacers

What are they, how do they look, where can i get them and how much? I thought the suspension does the job.
Old 04-24-02, 11:11 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Spacers are adaptors for after market wheels with lug patterns that do not fit the stock vehicle lugs. They are generally a bad idea. I would just buy wheels that fit the stock lugs -
Old 04-24-02, 12:41 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Spacers help when your wheels don't fit properly. Mabye the wheels are too wide for the car and you can use them to make the wheels stick out further. Also, some people use them just to fill in the fender so the wheels do look like they are recessed so far in. Using spacers can cause increased stress on your wheel bearings.

Generally, I believe they are a bad idea. If you do your research you can find a set of wheels that will fit your specific w/o using spacers.

Check this link and the pictures below for some visuals.
Attached Thumbnails What the hell are Spacers-spacers.jpg  
Old 04-25-02, 12:26 AM
Wheel Kinetics
Pole Position

Originally posted by LexRX
Spacers help when your wheels don't fit properly. Mabye the wheels are too wide for the car and you can use them to make the wheels stick out further. Also, some people use them just to fill in the fender so the wheels do look like they are recessed so far in. Using spacers can cause increased stress on your wheel bearings.

Generally, I believe they are a bad idea. If you do your research you can find a set of wheels that will fit your specific w/o using spacers.
That's a pretty extreme version of a wheel spacer. The most common use for a spacer is to clear a caliper's protrusion. (distance out from the hub) Those spacers are ~.05-.25 inches and simply slip over factory wheel studs.