Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Recommendations please: Tires for IS350 that last 25k+ miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-09, 11:32 AM
rinthiran
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations please: Tires for IS350 that last 25k+ miles

Hi everyone,

I have 55k miles on my 2006 IS350 with stock 18” rims. I live in the SF Bay Area and do a lot of city and freeway commuting. I classify my driving as occasionally ‘spirited’. My original tires were the OEM Dunlop SP Sport Maxx that lasted 21k miles. Excellent grip in wet and dry in the first 15k miles, but sucked badly as they started to wear around the edges. I now have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus all season tires that have lasted over 32k miles of heavy freeway driving. I expect I have about 2-3k miles left on them before they hit the wear bars. I love the lifespan of the tire, but I had to sacrifice ultimate dry and wet grip. I do like the fact that the tire has a very progressive feel when loosing grip – it squeals a lot, then slowly starts to slide. Very easy to control. I’m realizing I really don’t need all-seasons, since it never snows in the bay area. The worst we get is frost or a sprinkle of snow for a few hours a year.

I would appreciate it if those who have used other ‘max/ultra performance’ summer or all-season tires can comment on tires that can last around 25k – 30k miles and still give excellent dry and wet grip for ‘spirited’ driving. I’m thinking of a few summer tires (maybe not enough tire life) like the Goodyear Eagle F1, Bridgestone Potenza RE760; or stick to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, Bridgestone Potenza 960A/S, Continental ExtremeContact DWS.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 09-16-09, 01:03 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Outside of the PS2, there is a new buzz around Hankook's new VENTUS V12 evo

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests
Old 09-17-09, 02:17 PM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have the 17 or 18's?
Old 09-19-09, 11:40 AM
apex47
Rookie

I'm looking for new tires as well. Anybody have any thoughts on Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum? I found them on tirerack.com and they seem to have good reviews on there at a fairly cheap price with long tread life and low noise.
Old 09-20-09, 09:16 AM
micnic
Driver School Candidate

i just purchased those 18 inch kumho platinum to replace the michelin pilot sport A/S on my GS350. My first impression (about 300 miles) is that they are much quieter.
Old 09-21-09, 09:36 PM
apex47
Rookie

Originally Posted by micnic
i just purchased those 18 inch kumho platinum to replace the michelin pilot sport A/S on my GS350. My first impression (about 300 miles) is that they are much quieter.
I have a GS350 as well. Have you noticed a change in the ride/handling?
Old 09-23-09, 10:13 AM
rinthiran
Rookie

Originally Posted by Brandon@TR
Do you have the 17 or 18's?
I have the stock OEM 18" wheels. 225/40-18 front, 255/40-18 rear.

Thanks Everyone. Seems like I'm asking too much for summer tires to last in the 25k miles range. I'm either going to stick to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus or live with lower mileage better performance tires like the Kumho Platinums or the Bridgestone RE760.
Old 10-07-09, 10:04 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Bumping this thread for the OP, not sure he got an answer for the new Continental ExtremeContact DWS.

Anyone have any feedback? They look VERY promising!!
Old 10-07-09, 01:30 PM
rinthiran
Rookie

Thanks for the bump ZippyGuy! I did a lot of research and the Continental ExtremeContact DWS seems to suffer from slightly vague steering response; and doesn't seem like much of an advantage or change from the Pilot Sport A/S.

I'm contemplating going back to summer tires like the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 that on TireRack many owners have gotten 30-35k miles with "spirited" driving. I'll be very happy if it hits that number.
Old 10-07-09, 05:50 PM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Hope this helps.

Hopefully you don't mind road noise. About a third to half of the reviews on tire rack had noisiest tire I've ever come up for those goodyears. Look into General Exclaim uhp, Vredestein Ultrac Sesanta, Bridgestone re760 and the Hankook ventus v12. $50 rebate on the Hankook's at the tire rack and just about everyone who sells them is enticing.

Also something to note. At the tire rack the Goodyear's will run you $912 a set. $482 for the Generals, $532 - $50 rebate = $482 for the Hankooks, $602 for the Bridgestone's and $644 for the Vredestein at tireseasy.com.

For the money you would spend on the Goodyears you can damn near buy 2 sets of Generals or the Hankook's. This took some time, hope it helps buddy.
Old 10-07-09, 09:35 PM
Red Bully
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
Bumping this thread for the OP, not sure he got an answer for the new Continental ExtremeContact DWS.

Anyone have any feedback? They look VERY promising!!
I just picked up a set they are very quiet i had the old extreme contacts and the handling is better. ive only had them for 100 or so miles now pm me if you have any questions. also we deal with snow up here and the extreme contacts were the best snow tire ive ever owned. I hope these are the same so far so good.
Old 10-08-09, 06:00 AM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same here, ive had the extreme contacts on my oem 16's and switched to 18's with the new DWS, very smooth ride for daily normal driving.
Old 10-08-09, 06:06 PM
rinthiran
Rookie

Originally Posted by j three
Hopefully you don't mind road noise...
J Three - Thanks a bunch for the research and info!! I appreciate your comments. I hate road noise (hense I drive a Lexus!) and it certainly helped going from OEM Dunlop Sport Maxx to the Pilot Sport A/S.

I'm also keeping a spreadsheet pricelist, and did a price check between all the tires I looked at. I'm not so bothered with getting the cheapest tire, but $300 is no small amount in savings. I'll definately look into the RE760s.

Thanks!
Old 10-08-09, 06:08 PM
rinthiran
Rookie

Originally Posted by Red Bully
I just picked up a set they are very quiet i had the old extreme contacts and the handling is better. ive only had them for 100 or so miles now pm me if you have any questions. also we deal with snow up here and the extreme contacts were the best snow tire ive ever owned. I hope these are the same so far so good.
Hmmm... Continental ExtremeContact DWS is starting to sound pretty good. I don't get snow here (live in San Francisco), just a lot of rain and some frost in winter.
Old 10-14-09, 03:19 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Bridgestone RE760 Sport. Give those a try, they will last a long time. 340 treadwear

Quick Reply: Recommendations please: Tires for IS350 that last 25k+ miles