Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

need help on fixing the wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-02, 05:55 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need help on fixing the wheels

Not a nice way to finish my tax season, but my girlfriend scratch my wheels against the curb today. MCGONG already refered me to a place in Santa Ana, but just want to see if you, the wheels experts, know any reputable place to fix the wheel and restore the clear coat on the wheels. Manaray? gs4will, anyone???... by the way, one comment to make.." Never let a girl drive a car with aftermarket wheels " !!!
Old 04-15-02, 06:04 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

hey Mark,

sorry to hear that man ...was it bad?:eek: i know which palce you are talking about...the shop claimed that they have fixed many expensive wheels, including porsche and ferraris..take a look at ads in the back of car mags, they have coupons there...for $10 off...~$100 out the door...

the shop mgr/ownwer was actually very honest and told me that they do try their best to clear coat finish the wheels. BUT, like car paint job, you will not get that original finish and shine...

if i were you, i would def consider getting ONE wheel from the original source...(know what i mean?

fully agree, it takes extra hand-eye-and foot coordination to drive 18" and larger aftermarket wheels....it is like wearing expensive air-jordan, or bally/ferragamo shoes, you want to know where you are stepping into, right...
Old 04-15-02, 08:23 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Default thanks..

I think its not looking too good to me. I was actually thinking about getting a replacement wheel, but don't know if it will be a hassle. I guess, I will try to fix it first, but if I can't stand it I will order a new one. Hey Mike, do you have time to meet? I want to see the quality or I will just take my wheel back to the place I went before in Hollywood. Thanks anyway, Will!!
Old 04-16-02, 01:59 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

do you have a photo of the damage? Also, which wheels do you have a again?
Old 04-16-02, 06:03 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Default Work Vs Mx

Hi Manaray, I have the 19" Work Vs Mx. The curb scrapes is pretty bad to me (definitely can't stand it!!!!) I haven't taken the pics, but I will tonight and certainly will post them for you guys. I took my wheels on my SC300 to the place in Hollywood before. The place is call TRU Wheel, I think they are good except its really far for me. Anyway, I will post some pics tonight.
Old 04-17-02, 04:42 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

You might to try to contact Work... info@work-wheels.co.jp to see if they can help you out...they MIGHT be able to send you a new outer wheel that you can then have installed at a good shop...(the wheels need to be resealed...no big deal though)...
Old 04-17-02, 10:20 AM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Angry here is the pic of the scrape

any thought?
Attached Thumbnails need help on fixing the wheels-pics.jpg  
Old 04-18-02, 12:48 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Oh, that's MINOR! A wheel repair shop should be able to polish it out..but the clearcoat would be an issue...for that, you'll have to contact the wheel repair shop to see if they can do it...make sure to let them know that you're VERY **** about it (not in a gay way)...
Old 04-18-02, 10:12 AM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

Mark,

I should have time to meet tomorrow on my way home from work. I could stop by your work. Let me know. Email me.

mike
Old 04-18-02, 12:31 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Default TRU Wheel

Hey Guys, just drop my wheel at Tru Wheel in North Hollywood. They said they won't be able to put back the clear coat on it. BUT, thanks to Manaray, I email Work in Japan and they replied me today and tell me that they can configure a new outer rim for me!!!!! I hope this can work out because I don't want to polish my wheel everytime when I wash my car......
Old 04-18-02, 01:10 PM
NVMYGS3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think VIC @ wheeloptions.com can get them for you quick if you needed replacement

I trashed a rim and he was able to get me a single one in check this, 2 days.

He gets work wheels direct from japan all the time.

Vic's at 626-579-1182
Old 04-18-02, 10:05 PM
0260n5.7
Lexus Tuner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that is a great option from WORK. I contacted SSR in Japan because my girlfriend also introduced the Strusses to the curb and a HUGE pothole and they said that they do not release just the rim portions. I would have to send the whole thing to Japan for replacement. They are sticklers about their quality and will not let anyone else put a rim back together for them.

I eventually opted to get the bend fixed locally and live with the "rash" for now. The place that fixed the bend in the rim did a great job. I can't tell where the damage was.

MAC
Old 04-19-02, 01:15 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lmao...people when are you going to learn that girls are your car's nightmare! I would never give my car to my girl unless I am riding with her.
Old 04-19-02, 02:02 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, I remember a while back I let my GF drive my car...I had the wheels on for 1 day. I don't need to tell you the rest. She NEVER drove my car again after that. EVER.
Old 04-20-02, 12:20 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by retrodrive
Lmao...people when are you going to learn that girls are your car's nightmare! I would never give my car to my girl unless I am riding with her.
It'd almost be worse when you're with her because your constantly paranoid. When I've done that, I'm on the edge of my seat the whole time, worried she's gonna mess up something.

There are a select few who would ever drive my car, even to move it out of the way or something.