Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-09, 09:12 AM
TAP4636
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

Anyone have any experience with them?
Old 07-16-09, 09:56 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tested them and had them on a Saab 9-2X Aero personally. I was very happy with them but the snow and ice traction is pretty mediocre. Everything else is excellent.
Old 07-16-09, 07:36 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (not Plus) currently on my GS300 AWD and they are a very nice tire but they are also very pricey. They are very quiet, handle well on dry pavement and in the most torential rains. I do not have any plans to use them in the snow since they are on my summer rims.

steviej
Old 07-22-09, 10:57 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

You can read my story here. In the end I ended up with PS2s. I don’t notice the noise any longer and I have 2-3k on them now. If it was not for the drifting, the A/S plus would be a great tire for my car. Good luck and if you have an issue, Michelin is great about taking care of you.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the...-continue.html
Old 07-23-09, 05:08 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I put them on my 2IS in late February. So far I absolutely love them. Smooth, quiet and very good in dry or wet. Only went thru a few 4 inch or less snow storms so far but I found them to be very good. I'll know more this winter.

But I'd have to say this is the best A/S performance tire I've ever owned.

Good Luck
Old 07-24-09, 06:23 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

I had them on my 2001 Nissan Maxima & they were just fantastic......I agree however about their winter traction. Pretty expensive as has been mentioned though.

Just curious....what are the major differences between the regular PS AS & the PS AS+?
Old 07-26-09, 06:45 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
I
Just curious....what are the major differences between the regular PS AS & the PS AS+?
1. they don't make the PS AS anymore.
2. the plus is supposed to have better tread compound to yield improved traction, handling and tread life.

steviej
Old 07-29-09, 08:38 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Thanks Steve!
Old 02-13-10, 07:53 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by steviej
I have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (not Plus) currently on my GS300 AWD and they are a very nice tire but they are also very pricey. They are very quiet, handle well on dry pavement and in the most torential rains. I do not have any plans to use them in the snow since they are on my summer rims.

steviej
Sorry for the bump, put the Pilot Sport AS Plus are not what I would call pricey, compared to the OEM Bridgestone RE92's on my IS 250--those were $100 more per tire, and not as good as the Michelins.
Old 02-13-10, 03:03 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Sorry for the bump, put the Pilot Sport AS Plus are not what I would call pricey, compared to the OEM Bridgestone RE92's on my IS 250--those were $100 more per tire, and not as good as the Michelins.
OEM anything is always pricey...

if you want a comparable Bridgestone, look into the RE960AS...
Old 02-22-10, 11:06 AM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had experience w/ the followng sets:

- OEM Dunlop DSST 5000 (runflats) - CRAP

- Mich. PS2's (non-runflat) - high-perf., great cornering, great in wet traction, and hugged the road but wore out fast.

- Mich. Pilot Sport A/S Plus (non-runflat) - high-perf., more quiet ride, great in wet traction and good cornering, wore out fast.

- Currently --> Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position - softer ride, cornering ok but not as good as Michlelin's from above, very quiet, so far so good.

these sets were on a '03 SC430.

martini3
Old 02-28-10, 08:37 AM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW. Lexus will not back the AS Plus. If you have an issue, mich is your only way out...Primacy HP is their big favorite.
Old 03-02-10, 10:42 AM
Automax Service
Former Sponsor

90% of the tires we sell here are Michelin AS+. They ride great, they don't get noisy towards the end of their life, and they wear as well as anything else in it's class. All of our clients are very happy with them!
Old 03-17-10, 09:27 AM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

I'm thinking of replacing my Dunlop RFt with these Mich A/S plus. The previous A/S version only received a fair review from Consumers Reports.
Found them below average in wet and dry braking.
I live in NJ and even though i won't use the SC during the winter, I need an A/S tire in case I am forced to take it out when it's wet and near freezing. Costco wants $273 plus tax installed.
Old 03-18-10, 04:05 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by steviej

steviej
I got the same Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (not Plus), they were actually really cheap (however tirerack doesn't sell them anymore). I believe the price difference between the Plus vs Regular was more than 40 bucks per tire. I couldn't pass on them, even if they seem to be getting discontinued. Had these tires about a year now, great traction all around, and very quiet indeed...

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus