Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

feedback on DUNLOP SP SPORT-9000 please...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-09, 01:46 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default feedback on DUNLOP SP SPORT-9000 please...

anybody had these tires, feedback is appreciated.
Old 06-30-09, 11:09 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

This was actually a pretty good tire in its' day, but by today's
standards it is ancient.

Unless you are getting a smokin' deal on them, I'd do a more modern tire.

What are your goals and expectations of a tire?
Performance?
Low noise?
All season traction?
Good wear characteristcs?
Long wearing?

Most tires are a compromise. We need more info about the car and the wheels
you intend to use. Where you live comes into play, as does what tires you're
replacing. Need more info.
Old 07-02-09, 02:49 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wait so these tires are olddd???

i found a good deal on some...

i too wanted to know if these are good tires are not...

its goin on a G35 thats pretty slammed....20x9 20x10

i just want the tires to last long as possible..i mgiht evne raise th ecar up
Old 07-04-09, 07:46 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

i drive 2006 E350 with AMG package with staggered wheels. I have 245/40/18 Continental ContiSportContact 2 in the front. I am looking to replace my rears with 265/35/18 with the Dunlop's because the price is almost half price... two rear tires will pretty much equal one new ContiSportContact Tire as well (seems like I should definitely consider these tires) . I'm looking for good compliment to ContiSportContact2 with the front with good tire wear. I don't like replacing tires too often. I also want them to be relative quite since I drive an MB. Thanks for any input on the matter.
Old 07-05-09, 04:16 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
i drive 2006 E350 with AMG package with staggered wheels. I have 245/40/18 Continental ContiSportContact 2 in the front. I am looking to replace my rears with 265/35/18 with the Dunlop's because the price is almost half price... two rear tires will pretty much equal one new ContiSportContact Tire as well (seems like I should definitely consider these tires) . I'm looking for good compliment to ContiSportContact2 with the front with good tire wear. I don't like replacing tires too often. I also want them to be relative quite since I drive an MB. Thanks for any input on the matter.
They definitely wouldn't be a good compliment to the Conti's at all... these are directional, the Conti's are asymmetrical...

As mentioned, these tires were designed a long time ago.... how long? I would say mid to late 90's... I know in 2001, I had cars coming in with them that were already 3 years old...

If you don't like replacing tires too often, perhaps you should consider a car that doesn't have high performance, low profile tires...
Old 07-05-09, 06:09 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with mitsuguy; it's not a good idea to mix and match tire brands and tread patterns.

You should be able to afford two replacement Contis, since you drive an MB.

Otherwise, replace all four with matching brand and pattern.
An all-season tire might be better for you if you're priorities are low noise and long tread life.

I like the Toyo Proxes 4, great bang for the buck.

If you really want to spend some $, it's hard to beat the Michelins.
Their Pilot A/S (all season) rides great and wears like iron.
There was a Mercedes TSB a few years ago about using these on some MB models due to a possible radial pull issue.
Old 07-06-09, 08:44 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

thanks for ya'lls input.. but these Dunlops are super cheap (50+% off retail), don't you think it worth it in this case? As long as it won't damage my car, or make the ride worse (noticeably) then I really don't want to pass on this deal!?
Old 07-06-09, 10:13 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

While the tire technology is old, I personally think they are still a great tire. I still have them on my NSX in 225/35/18 front and 275/30/19 rear. They handle great and I have no complaints.
Old 07-06-09, 10:26 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

one thing you should check before anything... the DOT date on the sidewalls...

there should be an 11 or 12 character DOT number stamped in the sidewall of each tire, should be something like:

DOT A42F 23FF 3005

In this case, the last 4 numbers indicate the tire was built in the 30th week of 2005...

If these numbers are over 2-3 years old, I would steer away from the tires... At the same time, if they are 5-6 years old, I wouldn't take the tires for free (unless I had a non-car project that needed them - think, planter box or basketball net base)

More than likely, this is why they are so cheap....
Old 03-18-10, 04:24 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

I did end up getting these Cheap Tires, deal was too good to pass. I had these tire close to six months now, up till recently the ride was quite and performed well. Now I notice it to be bit nosiey... I don't know if this is going to be permanent or temporary due to harsh winter conditions that we faced here in DC. These tires have this disclaimer "The SP Sport 9000 is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."
Old 03-19-10, 05:13 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I had these a long time ago, and they sucked IMO. I do remember very clearly they would squeal even when taking turns at normal speeds.
Old 03-19-10, 08:00 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

I did end up getting these Cheap Tires, deal was too good to pass. I had these tire close to six months now, up till recently the ride was quite and performed well. Now I notice it to be bit nosiey... I don't know if this is going to be permanent or temporary due to harsh winter conditions that we faced here in DC. These tires have this disclaimer "The SP Sport 9000 is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."
I drove around with these on my 2GS4 for a few years and yes they are quite noisy at low speeds. They almost sound like they are giving off differential or bearing noises (a whining type of noise). At highway speeds they were ok without any appreciable noise. I never liked the low speed noise so I took them off and they are sitting in my garage for the last year or so. Some one told me that they tend to get noisier with increased tread wear.

The disclaimer is simply intended to inform you that this is a summer-only tire and that you will get very poor traction in snow. Also since this a really stiff tire, it will also become even less pliable in freezing weather. This is true for pretty much any high performance summer tire.
Old 03-22-10, 02:05 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by newgsman
I drove around with these on my 2GS4 for a few years and yes they are quite noisy at low speeds. They almost sound like they are giving off differential or bearing noises (a whining type of noise). At highway speeds they were ok without any appreciable noise. I never liked the low speed noise so I took them off and they are sitting in my garage for the last year or so. Some one told me that they tend to get noisier with increased tread wear.

The disclaimer is simply intended to inform you that this is a summer-only tire and that you will get very poor traction in snow. Also since this a really stiff tire, it will also become even less pliable in freezing weather. This is true for pretty much any high performance summer tire.
for me the nosie is at highway speed. I usually listen to music and doesn't bother me too much, but those days I don't listen to music, and sound is quite annoying...