Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Custom L wheel caps

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-02, 02:43 PM
NVMYGS3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom L wheel caps

HI!

I have 18" 3Peice Voltec Intermilano's and I'd like to replace the center caps (roughly 2.3 inches in diameter) with ones that have the "L" sign on it to make the car look cleaner.

Does anybody know where I can get caps that fit 2.3? My stock 16's for my GS3 came with caps and they are 2.5 inches in diameter and don't quite fit. Does anybody know where I can get caps?

The caps dont' have to even have the "L" on them. Just plain caps that fit and I'll just take off the "L's" on mystock 16's and 3M adhesive them on.

I just need to know where to get the caps.

Can anybody help me?

Ryan
Old 03-30-02, 12:34 PM
roguenode
Pole Position

bump... I have a 90 LS400 with aftermarket rims and would also like to find a place to get lexus center caps for my Mille Miglia's.

Anyone know of a place to get lexus center caps?
Old 03-30-02, 11:12 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by roguenode
bump... I have a 90 LS400 with aftermarket rims and would also like to find a place to get lexus center caps for my Mille Miglia's.

Anyone know of a place to get lexus center caps?
Just curious, which Mille Miglias do you have? I'm leaning towards Evo5's for my ES and it'd be nice to see some more pics of them on a car.
Old 03-31-02, 03:58 PM
roguenode
Pole Position

The car has Mille Miglia MM 11 - 2's on it. The standard version, not the sport version produced for BMW. A friend of mine has the same sized (17") Evo's on his VW passat. I like the Evo's a lot. With the cars side by side people still think mine are 18"s and his are 17"s. The thinner spoke of the MM 11's exaggerates the size and depth of the rim a bit in my opinion.

I'm also a fan of showing off nice rotors and brakes. While I haven't invested in a high-dollar upgrade, I have upgraded the stock rotors to Brembo/Bradi cross-drilled gas venilated rotors and put metal master pads on the calipers. After I paint my calipers (soon) I think the think the look of the cross-drilled rotors and painted calipers through the MM 11's will be sweet.

I've had the MIlles for 3 years and they've stayed straight through tons of aggressive driving on pretty crappy roads. They curb easy, but don't all aluminium rims?

Sorry I don't have any way to get my pic's onto my computer right now.
Old 04-01-02, 09:54 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks, it's always nice to hear another good opinion or experience before you make an expensive purchase.
Old 04-01-02, 10:30 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you guys own BMWs before you bought your Lexus? The only other group of people who insist on using OE logos in their wheels are BMW people... they love that darned Rondel.

If I spent good money on nice wheels, I'd be proud of it- it's sort of like wearing a Tag instead of a Timex... everybody knows you have a Lexus, it says so right on the back! Just my opinion...
Old 04-01-02, 02:07 PM
SADDLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am also interested in getting some center caps...shoot me a PM if you guys find anything out...

drew
Old 04-01-02, 11:06 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

SoCal, I agree! I would NEVER disgrace my HRE's with "L" center caps!

But it's more like wearing a Patek instead of TAG!
Old 04-05-02, 05:27 PM
roguenode
Pole Position

SoCal, I don't insist on it, but I do think it would be a nice touch. Maybe it's my visual arts background, but I like finishing touches that help unite a design theme. In my opinion, the L cap might be a better look than the silver disk on them now. I won't know until I put them on, but the idea appeals to me.

Manaray, I can understand your viewpoint. Big money rims should be shown off for what there are. However, I'm not concerned with what others think of my rims. My opinion is the last word on my car. It's a matter of perspective I suppose. If I had top dollar rims, and I don't, I still would consider Lexus center caps. Even if I didn't like the look and left the L caps off, I'd never consider putting Lexus center caps on a disgrace. In my eyes, my Lexus and the quality Lexus represents is superior than the brand of any rim put on the car.

Either way, it seems no one knows where to get them in non-standard sizes so my search continues.
Old 04-05-02, 06:55 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

That's an interesting statement, because, in particular, HREs are generally regarded as the "Ferrari" of wheel manufacturers... does this make the Lexus not worthy of HRE Wheels? (A rhetorical question, no flames, please!).

Sort of like covering the Guess logo on your jeans with a Levi's logo...

-just food for thought!
Old 04-05-02, 09:09 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

roguenode - Well I can understand your viewpoint too but it's not so much about showing off...most people (I'm talking the average non-car-enthusiast) does even know what HRE is so it's not about that...

To me, changing your center caps seems like you're trying to mask the identity of the wheel...a lot people that buy cheap wheels tend to do this (not saying you do this, but this is what I've run across in the many years I've been into this whole thing).

As far as the Lexus quality comment, I agree that Lexus is a high quality car (otherwise I wouldn't have one) but why put a "L" cap on a wheel that isn't even made by Lexus or Toyota...especially a wheel that isn't of "Lexus quality"?

For me, I really like the looks of the HRE center caps! I specifically picked the etched "Logo" cap...

Eh, the bottom line is that I think the "L" caps only belong on OEM wheels (wheels actually made by Toyota/Lexus)

SoCal - Hey, have you guys ever considered a debossed "logo" center cap? If the debossed portion was high polished (dunno if that's possible) and the "dome" was just brushed, that would look pretty nice...just a thought...
Old 04-07-02, 01:18 PM
roguenode
Pole Position

Manaray, thanks for the reply. Up to this point I'd been thinking the L caps would just unify the lexus theme without being as cheezy as a lexus windshield sticker or something like that. :-)

But, I hadn't thought about the idea that the L's would be there to mask a cheap wheel manufacturer. I'm certainly not looking to hide the what rims I'm running. Mille's may not be top of the llne, but they've been much better than the stock rims, they look good, and have held up well.

I'd reconsider, but with no L caps to be found I really don't have anything to consider anyway.

Thx for the opinions guys, I'm off to buy some caliper paint. I need to clean and paint them soon!