Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

My stock SC chrome rims are shot- should I rechrome, or powder-coat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-02, 01:59 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Question My stock SC chrome rims are shot- should I rechrome, or powder-coat?

I like my chrome "wagon wheel" rims (see pic below), but they are starting to chip and flake- the end is near. I don't think they've ever been rechromed, so the factory chrome job lasted 10 years - not too bad. They might have lasted longer, but I may have used too much acid-based wheel cleaner on them.

I've been quoted $100-$125/wheel to rechrome, but I'm thinking maybe powder-coating them with a "Reflectra" finish that is not exactly chrome, but like polished aluminum. If I get a clear coat over them, a Chatsworth, CA powder shop says it should "outlast my car". They want $123 per wheel.

This is a tough call. I've heard rechroming jobs are never as long-lasting as the initial factory chrome, and I'd hate to have to rechrome in another 3-5 years. And I am new to the concept of powder coating. Of course, if anyone knows of a shop in the Southern California area that chromes or powder coats for much less, THAT would make the decision for me!

So if anyone has any thoughts on the rechrome vs. powder coat issue, I'd love the hear from you. Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails My stock SC chrome rims are shot- should I rechrome, or powder-coat?-fontana1.jpg  
Old 03-27-02, 04:47 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why not save for aftermarket wheels?
Old 03-27-02, 05:37 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, that's a point, but I already have a set of new 16" tires that I bought on eBay ready to install, so I'd hate for them to go to waste, which they would be if I went aftermarket rims, since I'd wanna go to 17 or 18 inches.

And then I'd have a set of LE23's (the wagon wheel rims) taking up space in my house, since I'd be scared to sell them. With my luck, the day after I sold them they'd be declared an integral part of a classic car. And I could not get much for them now, in their chipped and flaking state.

Below is a pic of Club Lexus member SONICSC's SC400, taken at last weekend's Club Lexus meet in Fontana, CA - now that is one nice set of aftermarket rims, but I think I could buy FOUR or more rechroming jobs with the cashola that would take.

While I got that kind of dough, I'm just not the sort of person that is comfortable spending it on my ride. So, given I wanna keep the LE23's for now, any pros or cons on the appearance, economy and/or durability of rechrome vs. powder coat ?
Attached Thumbnails My stock SC chrome rims are shot- should I rechrome, or powder-coat?-sonicsc.jpg