Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Tire Sidewall Damage - Scraped

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-09, 01:45 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tire Sidewall Damage - Scraped

Hey all, I purchased a set of used oem wheels/tires for my sc300 and recently had a chance to put them on. Before buying them, I briefly looked at all the wheels/tires and did not notice any issues. As I was checking the tire pressures today, I noticed one tire had a uniform scrape around the tire. I was wondering if this would make the tire unsafe to drive on. What do you all think?

Tire with no scrape

Tire with scrape

Old 05-27-09, 02:08 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

It was driven on while flat. Generally there will be matching damage on the inside from having the vehicles weight pinch it between the road and the wheel. Sorry to say that tire is considered unsafe.
Old 05-27-09, 02:18 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the insight. Never thought of it and you are probably right since that tire was patched up.

I am mainly going to be driving local streets for the next few days so do you think it can wait until the weekend or should it be changed out right away?

Last edited by TheMole; 05-27-09 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-27-09, 02:31 PM
Debonair
iModerate

The reality is that people drive on tires in much worse then that every day with no issues, some foe the life of the tread. I will not recommend it but more then likely you will be fine. Of course avoid any high speeds. Also check the inside and make sure it is not worse and therefore much more dangerous.
Old 05-27-09, 03:08 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

yup... as stated, was driven on while low on air pressure...

I wouldn't drive any faster speed than you feel comfortable handling a blow out...

the reality of it is that the tire will probably be ok, but you never know, and I've seen tires like that fail pretty catastrophically...
Old 05-27-09, 04:17 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

They were a pretty good deal for wheels and tires so can't complain much. Anyone have a good 225-55-16 Michelin pilot xgt-z4 laying around? I believe they are discontinued so what are the chances lol. Guess I have to find a pair of tires or put the supra na wheels back on. Thanks alot for the input fellas.
Old 06-04-09, 09:14 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

well if u wanna be sure...dismount the tire and check out the inside of the tire. if it looks fine, i would drive on them with no hesitation.
Old 06-04-09, 09:24 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 5t341th
well if u wanna be sure...dismount the tire and check out the inside of the tire. if it looks fine, i would drive on them with no hesitation.
while good in theory, your argument doesn't hold up...

here's why:

tires are built in layers right... there is the tread layer, reinforcement strips, belts, inner liner, just to name a few... once all these layers are assembled, the "green" tire is put into a mold in which a inner tube like bladder inflates inside the tire pushing it into the mold... this bladder is filled with hot water and steam at varying temperatures for varying amounts of time - this causes a reaction between the different layers of the tire and it vulcanizes them to one another... this is why heat is the main killer of tires - heat like that put back into the tire will also cause it to come apart (the main cause for separations is heat in an area that wasn't fully cured)... so, what do we know about running a tire low on air pressure - it's the same as running a tire overloaded, and both situations leave the tire running much hotter than it was ever intended to be run... that groove on both sides of the tire is not a mechanically made groove - it is not where the tire was contacting anything, including the ground - it is where the tire built up the most heat and started breaking down, both externally and internally - when I say internally, I mean the parts you can't see - the layers inbetween the outer skin and the inner liner...

this is why it is bad to continue using a tire, any tire, that has been used while underinflated - many times it is just asking for a problem, and most of the time it's a blowout that is the end result... 99 times out of 100 that people claim they had a blowout, was actually a low on air tire that blew out because it overheated, the other 1 out of 100 was actually a defective or faulty tire... these are not true ratios, but are a reflection of the number of faulty tires vs. leaky tires that failed in my experience...
Old 06-05-09, 07:54 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Originally Posted by 5t341th

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
while good in theory, your argument doesn't hold up...

here's why:

tires are built in layers right... there is the tread layer, reinforcement strips, belts, inner liner, just to name a few... once all these layers are assembled, the "green" tire is put into a mold in which a inner tube like bladder inflates inside the tire pushing it into the mold... this bladder is filled with hot water and steam at varying temperatures for varying amounts of time - this causes a reaction between the different layers of the tire and it vulcanizes them to one another... this is why heat is the main killer of tires - heat like that put back into the tire will also cause it to come apart (the main cause for separations is heat in an area that wasn't fully cured)... so, what do we know about running a tire low on air pressure - it's the same as running a tire overloaded, and both situations leave the tire running much hotter than it was ever intended to be run... that groove on both sides of the tire is not a mechanically made groove - it is not where the tire was contacting anything, including the ground - it is where the tire built up the most heat and started breaking down, both externally and internally - when I say internally, I mean the parts you can't see - the layers inbetween the outer skin and the inner liner...

this is why it is bad to continue using a tire, any tire, that has been used while underinflated - many times it is just asking for a problem, and most of the time it's a blowout that is the end result... 99 times out of 100 that people claim they had a blowout, was actually a low on air tire that blew out because it overheated, the other 1 out of 100 was actually a defective or faulty tire... these are not true ratios, but are a reflection of the number of faulty tires vs. leaky tires that failed in my experience...
As usual well said.
Old 06-05-09, 11:09 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheMole
They were a pretty good deal for wheels and tires so can't complain much. Anyone have a good 225-55-16 Michelin pilot xgt-z4 laying around? I believe they are discontinued so what are the chances lol. Guess I have to find a pair of tires or put the supra na wheels back on. Thanks alot for the input fellas.
i might have a brand new one laying around. PM me on monday to remind me
Old 06-06-09, 12:26 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AutoCoutureSC
i might have a brand new one laying around. PM me on monday to remind me
Thanks, I'll shoot you a pm on Monday.