Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

How easy is it to convert a 112 mm PB to a 114.3 mm

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-02, 03:24 PM
enginyr
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How easy is it to convert a 112 mm PB to a 114.3 mm

Has anyone converted their rim bolt patter to a 114.3? I think it calls for redrilling.
Old 03-22-02, 07:22 PM
jpmotdyn
Pole Position

Enginyr, If I am correct our bolt pattern is 114.3. I believe Mercedes is 112. Anyways if you wanted to put Mercedes rims on your car you would gave to run a wheel adapter/spacer of some sort.
Old 03-23-02, 06:56 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The thickness taken by an adapter that would allow you to use wheels made for a different bolt pattern would require you to purchase wheels with a different offset.

If you have already have the wheels and have not considered the offset, the wheels will stick out too much and look ricey...

As for modifying the rims themselves, i have never heard any one that has done this. The cost of performing this customization would probably go far towards a new set of rims that would fit the bolt pattern which you require.

Why are you asking about the conversion? Do you have a set of wheels that are worth spending the conversion $$$?
Old 03-23-02, 10:18 PM
enginyr
Banned

Need I say more........

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ndexURL=0&rd=1
Old 03-24-02, 05:36 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Those lowenharts are gorgeous....but read the following before....

http://www.spidercenter.com/boltpttrn.shtml

You'll find like I said that an adapter is not really the best way to go. You could modify the car permanently as in the article but the cost of doing this versus buying rims that are made to fit from the get-go is probably a much better choice.

Enginyr, as you can see from the pictures as well, those rims would be a ***** to convert to your bolt pattern. Also be careful, the ebay ad does not mention what offsets those wheels are. Your car is dropped and this may be another reason to check into.

Perhaps the best choice you have is buying a Benz and putting rims on!
Old 03-24-02, 01:34 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

It would require REDRILLING.

A shop here told me they would do it for 300$ for all 4 wheels...

They were pro's @ this.. (custome wheel sho) and they said they do this all the time... ?!?!

and they said ti wouldnt vibrate when your driving the car...

But i dunno... its What "THEY" said.
Old 03-24-02, 05:13 PM
enginyr
Banned

Originally posted by GS4fun
Those lowenharts are gorgeous....but read the following before....

http://www.spidercenter.com/boltpttrn.shtml

You'll find like I said that an adapter is not really the best way to go. You could modify the car permanently as in the article but the cost of doing this versus buying rims that are made to fit from the get-go is probably a much better choice.

Enginyr, as you can see from the pictures as well, those rims would be a ***** to convert to your bolt pattern. Also be careful, the ebay ad does not mention what offsets those wheels are. Your car is dropped and this may be another reason to check into.

Perhaps the best choice you have is buying a Benz and putting rims on!

Thanks GS4fun....Perfect link....Looks like this is going to be a biiig job.
Old 03-25-02, 03:42 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not sure if these types of rims CAN be redrilled. If you look at the picture of the rim on Ebay....the bolt pattern needs to move and the design of the rim is built around the bolt pattern....not like those rims where holes are covered with a center cap....

I would give up on this enginyr.....unfortunate but probably the wiser choice.

Good luck.
Old 03-25-02, 03:46 PM
enginyr
Banned

Originally posted by GS4fun
I'm not sure if these types of rims CAN be redrilled. If you look at the picture of the rim on Ebay....the bolt pattern needs to move and the design of the rim is built around the bolt pattern....not like those rims where holes are covered with a center cap....

I would give up on this enginyr.....unfortunate but probably the wiser choice.

Good luck.
NEVERRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hehe
Old 03-25-02, 04:45 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Ummm...

Re-Drilling dosent really mean redrilling new holes on the wheels.. (i dont think thats possible... with out putting cracks on in between the lug holes)

What they do is ... sence 112 and 114.3 mm are only like 2.3mm apart... they open up the original hole 2mm so your bolt pattern of 114.3 would fit right in ... and you get HUB rings so there would be no vibration....

and hubrings dont stick out your wheels... there only like 1mm thick.
Old 03-25-02, 05:19 PM
enginyr
Banned

Originally posted by CamRen
Ummm...

Re-Drilling dosent really mean redrilling new holes on the wheels.. (i dont think thats possible... with out putting cracks on in between the lug holes)

What they do is ... sence 112 and 114.3 mm are only like 2.3mm apart... they open up the original hole 2mm so your bolt pattern of 114.3 would fit right in ... and you get HUB rings so there would be no vibration....

and hubrings dont stick out your wheels... there only like 1mm thick.

Your correct....I just talked to a guy....He says that 112 WILL fit on a 114.3 just because of the extra clearance in the thru hole.

Should I take a $3000 leap of faith?
Old 03-25-02, 05:50 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by enginyr

Your correct....I just talked to a guy....He says that 112 WILL fit on a 114.3 just because of the extra clearance in the thru hole.

Should I take a $3000 leap of faith?
:eek: Been to church lately...
Old 03-25-02, 11:39 PM
enginyr
Banned

Originally posted by LXOGOOD

:eek: Been to church lately...
Hehe...funny you say that........Taking Salsa dancing classes in a Church and I'm JEWISH!!!. The lady and man running the class danced at the Oscars on Sunday!!!

I'm meeting a Guy from Corona tomorrow (Possibly wants my last Neon Cold Air box modd), ones spoken for, the other is up for grabs! 8:30 at that same star bucks If you want to come! You might be surprised with my JL free air sub.

Hope to see you there.....

Steve
Old 03-26-02, 04:14 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Honestly, to save a few bucks on a very important part of your car isn't worth it. Think about it, you're WIDENING the holes that the holds the wheels ONTO YOUR CAR. Sure, on the front wheels it may not be a big deal, but on the back, where there's some torque happening, do you think that's wise?

Just spend the extra bucks on wheels that fit. Penny pinching on the important stuff isn't wise....
Old 03-26-02, 04:02 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Very well said manaray...for a few more bucks..you get brand new spanking rims that are made to fit your car exactly.

I know it hurts to pass up the opportunity enginyr...

Quick Reply: How easy is it to convert a 112 mm PB to a 114.3 mm