Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Katana Rims?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-02, 01:32 PM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Katana Rims?

Just came back from the Geneva International Auto Show where I found a set of rims that I really like and think would fit very well on my SC.

They cost approx. $1800 (18x7.5, set of four) so I think they're about middle class, at least price wise.

I just never heard of that brand - Katana - before. Does ne1 of the guru's know it? Reputation? Quality?

Thanks,
Old 03-12-02, 03:39 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before everyone unleashes the pain on you, here is a clip from another post on this board. Posters name will not be noted, we all know who it is.

"The Katana Belajio is knock-off of the AME Modelart Excellent (like the Corsica)

Here's a proud owner of the Katana Belajio...I guess if you want to compare your car to this guys, get the Katana's...

http://www.lowonair.com/robbyhart.html

Like gs4will said, just save up some more dough and get something decent for your Lexus. It's not a Dodge Neon afterall..."
Old 03-12-02, 04:25 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by jpa2400
Before everyone unleashes the pain on you, here is a clip from another post on this board. Posters name will not be noted, we all know who it is.

"The Katana Belajio is knock-off of the AME Modelart Excellent (like the Corsica)

Here's a proud owner of the Katana Belajio...I guess if you want to compare your car to this guys, get the Katana's...

http://www.lowonair.com/robbyhart.html

Like gs4will said, just save up some more dough and get something decent for your Lexus. It's not a Dodge Neon afterall..."
And in case it didnt take.....Katana=POS, save your money, wait a little while longer, and you will NEVER regret it. That is fast becoming THE biggest mistake CL members make. Almost all of them end up back here in a few months looking for the real thing. Dont take it from me, but if you educate yourself on wheels a little more, you will reconsider.
Old 03-12-02, 08:42 PM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Default How about Kosei then?

To be perfectly honest ... I'm not too surprised about your replies. I was just hoping that I finally found a wheel I LIKE which also is of acceptable quality. Btw, I was not referring to the Belajio, but the F-15 (looks like a turbine fan). I guess that's a knock-off too then?

Anyway, I've recently seen a similar wheel, which I believe is called the Kosei Seneka JGT (also with that turbine fan look). Would that be better? And if yes, does ne1 know if it's still made and where it is available? Couldn't find it anywhere so far.

Thanks for the guidance guys ...
Old 03-12-02, 09:55 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ac,

hint: any other rims that you like?
Old 03-13-02, 12:42 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Katana F15's pretty much a knock-off of the ATS DTM Competition wheel (the one that Mercedes used on their CLK's for the German DTM series)...

It's a nice looking wheel...if you like the "lotsa spokes" look and you want something inexpensive but good, check out the new RH Evolution S15..and it come up to 19" and has covered bolt (which some people really like) Nice looking wheel IMO.

Now if you want to "step up" to the big leagues, you can always get the HRE 449R...

or the HRE 549 (which is available with a reverse lip up to 19" or normal lip up to 20"...20" reverse will be out later this year)

But $1800 will only get you like 2 HRE wheels... The RH's are like $300/each or so (but don't quote me, I haven't looked at their prices in a while) You should be able to set a set of 18's for $1800...for a little more, you can get 19's...
Old 03-15-02, 10:28 AM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Hmmm ...

That RH wheel looks pretty good, kinda special (although I don't really like the bolts covered). Just couldn't find a dealer (yet?) in Europe. Is that a japanese brand?

You mentioned that Katana is a knock-off of the ATM DTM ... would that be a quality wheel then? ATM is a pretty popular brand in my area, so it would be easy for me to get.

As you can easily tell by my questions, I'm not very knowledgeable about rims ... so any help is appreciated
Old 03-15-02, 11:41 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's the forthcoming 549R, shown in 19"

I've preordered a set for my SC400- decided against the 20"
Attached Thumbnails Katana Rims?-549r.jpg  
Old 03-15-02, 12:10 PM
LexFather

Well I have had first hand experience with a knock off brand (DIablo Racing) and after 6 rims, chipped chrome, etc etc, got me some Weds.

Don't go that route dude! Maybe you'll get lucky and get a good deal on good wheels like I did!
Old 03-15-02, 12:41 PM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

SoCalSC4, the HRE's are REALLY nice ... but honestly, they're beyond what I'm willing to pay.

1Sicklex ... are you referring to the ATS' or RH's? Or was that a more general remark? Be assured ... I don't want't to go for knock-offs, especially not on a Lexus. Just want to find a decent wheel for a realistic price. That's exactly why I'm asking for your opinions.

So, what about those ATS' or RH's? Or even more creative ideas?
Old 03-15-02, 12:56 PM
LexFather

Well, I am saying FOR SURE, do not buy Diablo rACING WHEELS. I am not a wheel expert but I know RH are good quality wheels.

I also know some of us are not trying to drop 18k on some wheels . Keep your eye's open!
Old 03-18-02, 05:28 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

ATS (not ATM) makes some UGLY wheels, but their quality is good. The DTM is the only wheel I really like from ATS....

As for the Katana's...those are knock-offs of the AME Modelart Excellence...the MHT is also a knock-off...
Old 03-18-02, 10:36 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by LS400 GOD
Konig also made a knock off too of that wheel.
Konig makes knock-offs of everything
Old 03-19-02, 11:26 AM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Allright, sounds like I'm gonna have a closer look at the ATS' then. Funny thing is ... they're even cheaper than the Katana's (at least in my area)

Just one more thing. Those ATS' have some ugly yellow center caps (or stickers??) Any chance to replace that with some Lexus centercap or at least a neutral (chrome or so) cap?

Thanks